Player Discussion Kevin Shattenkirk

Carnival Barker

Oct 6, 2005
New York
First time the Rangers have shut down an offensive threat since 2014.

v37fW0v.jpg

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
A torn meniscus is a 6-8 week tops injury. Shattenkirk missed the last three months of the season. He tried to come back to finish the season but he couldn't. Is something else wrong with his knee? That's not a good sign for someone who relies on his skating ability.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
A torn meniscus is a 6-8 week tops injury. Shattenkirk missed the last three months of the season. He tried to come back to finish the season but he couldn't. Is something else wrong with his knee? That's not a good sign for someone who relies on his skating ability.

Its not a 6-8 week injury tops. It depends on the severity of the tear.

Zach Parise missed a f*** load of time the year before his last one in NJ with a torn meniscus. I'd imagine that Shatty f***ed his knee up pretty good while continuing to play on it. If the Rangers didn't suck, we'd probably see him for the start of the playoffs but here we are.

Reactions: RGY

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Would you call Shattenkirk a guy who relies on high end skating? Because I certainly wouldn't

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Gorton says that Shattenkirk has been shut down for the rest of the season.
Gorton is trying to get a better draft position, cross fingers - it can be crucial in this summer draft. Personally I understand that they rest Kevin, because of our weak D depth - so they don`t risk to play him after the surgery so they let him recover over the summer to get him 120% healthy next season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think it's pretty clear that Shattenkirk played on that bad knee for a month or two. His last 20 games or so it's like he had 0 points and his defense was getting worse and worse. However bad the injury was at first one might wonder if playing on it for so long made it a lot worse.

Do we really need him back right now though? I'm fine with the D we have for the rest of this season. As a group they are inept but they are trying and working hard and now and again they beat teams that don't take them seriously and pretty much every night they battle all the way to the final minute. We didn't see this kind of effort for the balance of the first two thirds of the season. And when they don't win we get better draft positioning which is fine in that we're not going to the playoffs this year. And out of it all a couple of them--Pionk and Georgiev have really stood out and proved they belong. All in all the last couple months have not really been a bad or as bad an experience as the months that led up to them.

Shatty can come back next year--I don't mind--especially if he's not 100%.

Reactions: NYR

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
There's no reason for him to come back this year. The fact he isn't doesn't mean something is necessarily wrong.

What are they gonna say, "Shatty is ready, but we figured we wouldn't play him in games we don't care about winning while we evaluate our young dmen"?

We all know that tanking can be obvious, I imagine the league frowns upon comments where teams actively admit tanking.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Would you call Shattenkirk a guy who relies on high end skating? Because I certainly wouldn't

Not particularly.

He's not exactly slow but he's slow for an offensive defenseman.

Then again, I'd argue he's not an offensive defenseman at even strength. He's great on the PP and uses his puck moving ability to suppress shots and chances against at even strength.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Absolutely untrue. A meniscus can take up to six months depending on the nature of the tear. I speak from personal experience.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He also had a setback during his recovery, so that 6-8 week timetable got prolonged. They should've never tried rushing him back in the first place, so shutting him down and letting him worry about next season is the correct move.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Well, this contract looks pretty awful now. Shattenkirk isn't that good in the defensive zone and his expensive contract ends the next eternity. You don't want Shattenkirk as one of your main pieces on the blueline in a rebuild.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Well, this contract looks pretty awful now. Shattenkirk isn't that good in the defensive zone and his expensive contract ends the next eternity. You don't want Shattenkirk as one of your main pieces on the blueline in a rebuild.

1 The contract is still fine. It’s for below market value. Both in years and in term.

2 It’s not news that he’s not great in the defensive zone.

3 The state of the team changed, not the contract.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I almost forgot he was on the team it's been so long since he last played, lol. I hope he makes a full recovery though, Rangers need him to play and produce next year and beyond.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It's been mentioned numerous times how Marc has helped Pionk in his development, and I'm sure that is true. I just have to wonder and believe that Shatty would have more influence in Neal's offensive development opposed to Marc's.

With his ability to begin with, Marc's defensive help and hopefully Shatty's future offensive help......should help round Pionk's game to eventual all-star status. One could hope. Right?

Not sure how anyone could rip into Shatty, when all he has done is want to play for "his team", gave a substantial discount and gave his all through what was probably excruciating pain.
Just don't get it. But.......he does need to recover, play like he can and lead these youngsters into becoming PRO's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad