Player Discussion Kevin Hayes part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'm not trying to toot my own horn here or make other people 'eat crow' or whatever. But it's a shame that Hayes's resurgence will be solely attributed to "changing his attitude and work ethic" in the off-season rather than people realizing that his sophomore slump was not that at all.

Obviously his new off-season plan has helped, but it's important to remember that Hayes has always been good.

The narrative will never be killed, unfortunately.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Yeah and people wanted to trade him. You don't trade big skilled centers with great puck possession and stick handling skills. This guy is a number 1 center.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah and people wanted to trade him. You don't trade big skilled centers with great puck possession and stick handling skills. This guy is a number 1 center.

Imagine what this board would be saying if some of our resident GMs got their way and he got traded and did this for another team. :laugh:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

The people who wanted to trade him should be embarrassed with themselves.

You don't trade a player like him because he has a sophomore slump in which he still put up almost 40 points.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
The people who wanted to trade him should be embarrassed with themselves.

You don't trade a player like him because he has a sophomore slump in which he still put up almost 40 points.

So....if he came into camp again 20 lbs overweight you just let hm play another season of uninspiring hockey and be a step behind everybody ? IMO.... At that point you have to consider moving him if he is not motivated enough to stay in shape , no matter how good he COULD be . This is a business....hard to baby guys along when you are running a team and difficult options have to be entertained...including a trade .

Great to see though that he did turn his play around and lose the weight....we all see the difference it has made . Fans had every right though to suggest moving him .

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So....if he came into camp again 20 lbs overweight you just let hm play another season of uninspiring hockey and be a step behind everybody ? IMO.... At that point you have to consider moving him if he is not motivated enough to stay in shape , no matter how good he COULD be . This is a business....hard to baby guys along when you are running a team and difficult options have to be entertained...including a trade .

Great to see though that he did turn his play around and lose the weight....we all see the difference it has made . Fans had every right though to suggest moving him .

True, but you wanted him moved for CHARA :laugh:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Well i respectfully disagree. You don't move a player after the rookie season he had with us. Plenty of players go through sophomore slumps and turn it back around for their 3rd season...and yes that usually means preparing better for the new season.

Last edited:

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
True, but you wanted him moved for CHARA :laugh:
Yes...Chara and whatever else we threw in or got back ....might not have looked so good now...but might have enabled us to beat Pens and win a Cup ? Did anybody think Pens would win a Cup before playoffs started ? You just never know what one trade might do...Chara might have been that guy for us...but that is something we will never know.....still never hurts to entertain a trade .

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Yes...Chara and whatever else we threw in or got back ....might not have looked so gooo now...but might have enabled us to beat Pens and win a Cup ? Did anybody think Pens would win a Cup before playoffs started ? You just never know what one trade might do...Chara might have been that guy for us...but that is something we will never know.....still never hurts to entertain a trade .

Washed up Chara wasn't going to get us anywhere near the cup last season :laugh:

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Well i respectfully disagree. You don't move a season after the rookie season he had with us. Plenty of players go through sophomore slumps and turn it back around for their 3rd season...and yes that usually means preparing better for the new season.
How many guys out there can play at this level being 21 lbs overweight when they are slower player to begin with ? I tend to think his slump was mostly based on being at the trough once too many times .

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Washed up Chara wasn't going to get us anywhere near the cup last season :laugh:
I seem to recall quite a few pundits talking about Pens chances at a Cup before playoffs started ....with a guy like the King and a defender like Chara...I have to think our chances would have been better than with a turtlefooted 21 lb overweight uninspired 40% Win percentage FO guy like Kevin Hayes .

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I seem to recall quite a few pundits talking about Pens chances at a Cup before playoffs started ....with a guy like the King and a defender like Chara...I have to think our chances would have been better than with a turtlefooted 21 lb overweight uninspired 40% Win percentage FO guy like Kevin Hayes .

So you'd give up a promising center who played great for us in his rookie season for a slightly better shot of a cup? Chara was not the difference between getting their doors blown off in the first round to the Pens and winning the cup. He was not. Hayes was overweight and played poorly. Players lose weight and improve. You were wrong on every level and you're doubling up instead of saving face and admitting you were wrong.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
mXyupD1.gif

darko

Feb 16, 2009

At that point you consider moving him because 2 offseasons where he comes overweight screams red flags and dedication issues to me. Everyone should get a pass for a sophomore slump.

I just hope people on here go easy on Skjei, Vesey and Buch next season if they hit slumps.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yes...Chara and whatever else we threw in or got back ....might not have looked so good now...but might have enabled us to beat Pens and win a Cup ? Did anybody think Pens would win a Cup before playoffs started ? You just never know what one trade might do...Chara might have been that guy for us...but that is something we will never know.....still never hurts to entertain a trade .

Chara wasn't getting us past the Pens.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

Rangers weren't beating the Pens, with or without Chara.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So Hayes is projecting to a 38-38-76 season right now. He won't sustain that, but if he can turn into a 55-65 point player and keep improving from there, look out. Good thing we're clearing up cap space in 2 years because this dude is gonna get PAID.

Also, whodathunkit that Hayes and Miller would both be very good PKing forwards? So impressed with how he improved his overall game and has brought a more consistent effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad