Rumor: Kevin Hayes not signing with Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The Blackhawks will be compensated with the No. 24 overall pick in the second round of the 2015 NHL draft if Hayes becomes a free agent.

Actually, that sounds pretty good, if he signs elsewhere? And though it sounds imminent, I'm not convinced that he will, until it happens. Maybe he'll look at a few of the offers and opportunities, and if none guarantee a one-way deal he may come to realize Hawks is a better place to go (if the big money isn't there for him yet).

Nothingman*

Actually, that sounds pretty good, if he signs elsewhere? And though it sounds imminent, I'm not convinced that he will, until it happens. Maybe he'll look at a few of the offers and opportunities, and if none guarantee a one-way deal he may come to realize Hawks is a better place to go (if the big money isn't there for him yet).

I don't think any team can guarantee a one way. His first contract has to be a two way I believe. That was posted somewhere back in this thread.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

The contract available to him is an ELC on the same terms under the CBA as any other unsigned prospect. The difference for him is he gets the contract as a UFA (and, presumably, he'll get terms more consistent with a higher draft pick than where he was chosen...e.g. Schultz's is contract is consistent to what a 1st overall pick would get).

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
bos_g_hayes01jr_300x200.jpg

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
So, if Hayes signs elsewhere on August 15, what would be a time frame that would indicate tampering by the signing club (i.e., indicating that a contract had already been worked out prior to 8/15)...a few hours plus or minus?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
What a ***** he is.

Do you have a job? If you had an opportunity that would pay you 10 TIMES as much as you're currently making, would you be happy to take less money because that team was the first to offer you a job?

I get it pisses us off as Hawks fan that Hayes is more worried about cashing in as quickly as possible, but try to understand from his perspective, and this makes more sense.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Do you have a job? If you had an opportunity that would pay you 10 TIMES as much as you're currently making, would you be happy to take less money because that team was the first to offer you a job?

I get it pisses us off as Hawks fan that Hayes is more worried about cashing in as quickly as possible, but try to understand from his perspective, and this makes more sense.

I'm in between on this.

The point of playing hockey is to win the Cup, so why would a guy who was drafted/trained/prepped by this organization, an organization that is the top of the class in the NHL, with the couple of the top players in the NHL, that is a legitimate threat to win the Cup every year, want to leave that type of situation just for a few hundred thousand more dollars?

The answer is money, obviously. And that kind of irks me. It irks quite a bit of people when players bolt to go somewhere for more money, and not a chance to win. Meanwhile, players who take less for a better chance to win are thought of very highly.

I can't stand players that bolt for the money, although I understand it. But I am a fan, not a family member, or a friend of this player, so why should I care? Maybe I would do the same if I was in his position, because cash is king. But if I have full confidence in my abilities I want to be in a situation where I have the best chance to win the Cup. And that's in Chicago.

It would be one year of AHL money for Hayes considering what is on tap for next year, other players don't have a problem with that (Carey, TVR, etc.) that have signed here, but this self-entitled ****** does. I have no problem with anyone who calls him names or wishes the worst for him (outside of injuries).

Nothingman*

I'm in between on this.

The point of playing hockey is to win the Cup, so why would a guy who was drafted/trained/prepped by this organization, an organization that is the top of the class in the NHL, with the couple of the top players in the NHL, that is a legitimate threat to win the Cup every year, want to leave that type of situation just for a few hundred thousand more dollars?

The answer is money, obviously. And that kind of irks me. It irks quite a bit of people when players bolt to go somewhere for more money, and not a chance to win. Meanwhile, players who take less for a better chance to win are thought of very highly.

I can't stand players that bolt for the money, although I understand it. But I am a fan, not a family member, or a friend of this player, so why should I care? Maybe I would do the same if I was in his position, because cash is king. But if I have full confidence in my abilities I want to be in a situation where I have the best chance to win the Cup. And that's in Chicago.

It would be one year of AHL money for Hayes considering what is on tap for next year, other players don't have a problem with that (Carey, TVR, etc.) that have signed here, but this self-entitled ****** does. I have no problem with anyone who calls him names or wishes the worst for him (outside of injuries).

I am on board with this comment above. I bolded the part that maybe says what is really behind the scenes. One good season on a stacked line at BC and he feels he is not good enough to compete for a spot for one flipping year.

I understand what Hayes is looking at. But look at what a player like Saad has done and for the long term, he is set. Hayes wants the short term quick buck because he prolly knows he isn't nearly as good as his numbers project from that one year. Meh skater, big guy not willing to work the boards or play physical, good hands. I am fine with the 2nd we get for him.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I don't get why people think he doesn't have 'confidence in his abilities'. I think the fact he wants to play in the NHL next year shows he does. It seems like his priority is playing at the NHL level as soon as he can.

I also think it's stupid to assume that a team that isn't competitive right now won't be forever. Most teams go in cycles and turnaround time can be quick once the pieces are together. And it was just a few years ago the Hawks themselves were at the bottom.

Of course, another possibility is that he doesn't end up on an awful team - it sounds like teams like Pittsburgh and NYR may be interested.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
I'm in between on this.

So if he signs with LA you'll be signing his praises?

Nothingman*

I don't get why people think he doesn't have 'confidence in his abilities'. I think the fact he wants to play in the NHL next year shows he does. It seems like his priority is playing at the NHL level as soon as he can.

I also think it's stupid to assume that a team that isn't competitive right now won't be forever. Most teams go in cycles and turnaround time can be quick once the pieces are together. And it was just a few years ago the Hawks themselves were at the bottom.

Of course, another possibility is that he doesn't end up on an awful team - it sounds like teams like Pittsburgh and NYR may be interested.

I am strictly guessing. He wants to be in the NHL now as we all know. I watched him play last year and didn't think he was that great. Just my opinion. And I really don't care if anyone agrees or not. Because GMs will offer him an ELC. Like the Hawks did.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Bowman should just get Hayes and Q in a room and make some guarantees on playing time. We can give this guy bottom 6 minutes all year. The team is good enough to absorb the risk. Scratch him in the POs if necessary.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Bad idea IMO. Like others have said, it's not like he's head and shoulders above other prospects. The guys who best help the team should play, no matter where they were drafted or what their name is.

I'm just saying it wouldn't be the end of the world if he dressed 50 games.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago

I just don't see the red carpet treatment for Hayes. He wanted to sign after his Junior year. Unfortunately he was hurt. Don't blame the Hawks for making him come back and prove he was healthy. It was a chance worth taking, but Hayes has other options after bouncing back nicely.

We didn't see the red carpet treatment for him last spring when the last of the NCAA first rounders from his class signed. Don't really see the red carpet treatment for him now.

I'd rather see the young guys fight it out for those spots anyways. And the compensation isn't bad. I agree with Bowman, take it or leave it Kevin.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

It's absolutely a terrible way to do business when your pipeline is overflowing as ours is. Guys like Danault, McNeil, Nordstrom etc? Why push yourselves to be better when the organization would clearly be playing such obvious and clear cut favoritism.

Blackhawks26

6 time Cup Champions
Jun 17, 2011
Orland Park IL

No, i would care about winning a cup. It's been my dream since i was kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille