Speculation: Kent Hughes is not done selling

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I wouldn't move Savard for less than a 1st.

If he doesn't get it, he's still a useful vet for the Habs and they can always move him next year.

Kovacevic is also useful, but we got a ton of young D and if we can fetch a 3rd then I'm in.

Allen I'd move for pennies.
What? There's no way Savard nets us a 1st. Maybe a 3rd if we retain.:sarcasm:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Hoping they maximize Allen's value by taking back some money, wonder if Colorado would bite on something like Johansen + 2nd
If they can squeeze anything out of Pearson great, feel like they could get another 1st if they retain 50% on Savard, I would trade him and keep Kovacevic

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Hoping they maximize Allen's value by taking back some money, wonder if Colorado would bite on something like Johansen + 2nd
If they can squeeze anything out of Pearson great, feel like they could get another 1st if they retain 50% on Savard, I would trade him and keep Kovacevic
It would cost the Avs a minimum of a 2nd just to dump RyJo. He's a bonafide capdump.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Ya but if got that 2nd it would really be considered a 3rd. I think i'm getting this right.:thumbu:
That's true. A late 2nd is effectively a 3rd. So yeah, that's not a good return. A 2nd would be a good return though.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Savard might return something surprising (maybe a 2nd instead of a 3rd if a team's desperate), other than that there's Armia/Allen but they won't fetch much (7th or future consideration)

Honestly it might not be a bad idea to move Matheson too, he'll never have as much value as he does now. I can understand holding on to him tho, just to help Hutson out with his NHL transition.

Edit: there's Pearson too but he'll fetch a 5th or 6th rounder

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
We are stacked at LD. If anyone is looking for a cheap, young, mobile puck mover, Harris can likely be had. Only 23 and 1.4 until 2025. He gets slagged by some fans, but overall, considering his experience, is a decent LD with some room for upside. Pair him with a tough crease-clearing stay at home guy, and you can get a lot out of Harris. Honest assessment here.

Not totally sure what his value is alone, but I'd say I doubt Hughes would entertain anything lower than a highish second. If someone wants a package, we have other OK depth pieces as mentioned above.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Congrats to him for extending the rebuild past a decade. Nothing like trading proven nhl players for magic beans who might contribute something in 5 years. The team must be pissed.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Congrats to him for extending the rebuild past a decade. Nothing like trading proven nhl players for magic beans who might contribute something in 5 years. The team must be pissed.
Congratulations on this amazing post.

LOL!!😂

Reactions: viceroy

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Habs will have over 9M of cap space with only 2 low RFAs to sign. It will be very interesting what H does.

Armia, Anderson, Allen.... They will need to give picks to unload...

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
While you aren't wrong today....I bet down the line you will be. We have already seen HoGo trade picks for young NHL guys. I get the feeling these picks will be used the same way....

Also the team was in the finals 2 years ago. Its not like its been miserable for 10 years.....

Last edited:

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Habs will have over 9M of cap space with only 2 low RFAs to sign. It will be very interesting what H does.

Armia, Anderson, Allen.... They will need to give picks to unload...
why?

They wont really be contenders, lots of cap space, No need to pay assets to rid themselves of those guys at all. Allen and Armia have 1 year left and Anderson, while not super productive does help the team.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
why?

They wont really be contenders, lots of cap space, No need to pay assets to rid themselves of those guys at all. Allen and Armia have 1 year left and Anderson, while not super productive does help the team.
Allen should be traded.

The rest should stay to help the rebuild. Savard in particular is needed.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Allen should be traded.

The rest should stay to help the rebuild. Savard in particular is needed.
I agree. Except for Savard. If they can get a decent return he can be traded. They can get a vet in the summer to replace him.....

I was saying The Habs should not pay assets to rid themselves of those guys. I get the rebuild part but you cant have a full team of young guys. You do need NHL level guys to play with them and be "big brother" types.

I hear a lot of complaints about Gallagher but he is a guy I would try to keep at all costs. He is not even close to worth his contract when it comes to production but when it comes to showing the young guys what it means to be a pro and to give everything you got. He is worth every penny

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

Habs are 26th overall buddy, and have been for a while.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
I agree. Except for Savard. If they can get a decent return he can be traded. They can get a vet in the summer to replace him.....

I was saying The Habs should not pay assets to rid themselves of those guys. I get the rebuild part but you cant have a full team of young guys. You do need NHL level guys to play with them and be "big brother" types.

I hear a lot of complaints about Gallagher but he is a guy I would try to keep at all costs. He is not even close to worth his contract when it comes to production but when it comes to showing the young guys what it means to be a pro and to give everything you got. He is worth every penny
You don’t need to try at all. Nobody touches Gallagher. He’s ours forever.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
as the year goes on, i'm more and more convinced that Matheson is the odd man out this tear. Not Kovacevic nor Savard.

We have literally no one on the right side to replace either Kovacevic or Savard. Let me explain :

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - kovacevic
Xhakej - Barron
Struble - No one!
Harris - No one!

Remove Matheson from that equation and we're still fine.
They tried Harris on the right side and he was terrible. They tried Guhle on the right side and he wasn't the first pairing rookie anymore. We need Kaiden to play top pair LHD.

We could easily get 1st + for Matheson without retention. No doubt in my mind. It's a great time to sell high on him since he has a career year.

I also think that just like Monahan, there's a reason why Matheson has ALL the chances to play 1st PP and as much as possible with Suz and Caufield instead of Guhle.

Reactions: atrud66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad