Speculation: Kent Hughes is not done selling

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
It is basically two 1st round picks out of thin air... And it looks like the Calgary pick might be better than everybody thought. Would not be surprised to see Winnipeg fall to Colorado or Dallas in the 1st round and the pick going into the late teens.
But that Calgary pick goes into effect in 2025 so who knows

Why would the Habs do that?
Allen is not going to save someones season

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I would much rather deal with the three goaltender situation in the offseason instead of wasting a retention spot, and cap-space, to hurriedly move him to address a situation that isn't really time-sensitive.
Exactly. The retention spot is more valuable then a mid-range pick.
Like I said, the value is just having Allen gone. You can’t run a healthy rotation with 3 goalies forever. If you wait, you risk nobody being interested in him during the off-season leaving us stuck with him another year at $4 million. It’s not about the average return we could potentially get for him in a trade. It’s about just getting rid of him period. Savard has value to our own team right now. In a perfect world, we’d have guys either ready to replace Savard’s role currently or we’d have an extra retention slot so we could potentially hold out to sell him at the highest price but we aren’t there yet. It’s not easy to find good veteran RHD threw free agency to help keep your team healthy.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
No way in Hell Montreal gets a 1st rounder for Savard...maybe a 3rd rounder
So... a far lesser return than the Habs got for a Kulak (a clearly lesser defenseman) rental ?
Anyways, if no one has a first or equivalent to offer, he stays. I like him as a vet for our young defense.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Im sure hes not done selling, but he does indeed need to find buyers for those spare parts.

No offense to the spare parts, if Hughes can make it a small bidding war lets gooooo

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'd drive him to the airport if we could get a 2nd rd pick for him.
Same.
Only reason he hasn't been through waivers is out of respect to vets, and the fact without retention or a contract coming back, he'd clear waivers.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Savard with no retention probably holds more value next year. At 50%, he likely fetches more though.

Unless the offer is really enticing, I'd hold onto him for another year as he will help shelter some of the younger guys for another year, and that's worth something.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Im sure hes not done selling, but he does indeed need to find buyers for those spare parts.

No offense to the spare parts, if Hughes can make it a small bidding war lets gooooo
i mean someone gave a 1st and a conditional 3rd for monahan

Reactions: abo9

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Allen needs to go. If it takes up a retention spot then so be it. Pearson is gone after this season anyways and with Savard we would be better off keeping him until the 2025 deadline. If we use it to broker a trade between 2 other teams we would still only get a mid rd pick anyways. Using it on Allen makes the most sense.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Allen needs to go. If it takes up a retention spot then so be it. Pearson is gone after this season anyways and with Savard we would be better off keeping him until the 2025 deadline. If we use it to broker a trade between 2 other teams we would still only get a mid rd pick anyways. Using it on Allen makes the most sense.
If there aren't any jaw-dropping offers for Savard, this would be logical. But he might also keep a slot for Dvorak if he plans on moving him this summer.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Kovacevic might be the guy teams look for the most - right handed defensive defenseman who can PK. Not that they likely get great value - just that he's the sort teams are probably more interested in than a worn out Pearson.
I don’t think the habs are in a position to deal Kovacevic at the moment unless they feel Guhle can play the remainder of the season on the right side. In other words, I think it would take a good deal to move him. Not sure a third round pick will do it given how many picks Montreal
has coming up

Reactions: viceroy

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think Savard will garner interest for his reasonable cap hit relative to what he brings but the flat cap makes nothing easy. Also, at some point, you gotta stop dealing your vets.

If Savard is gone, all their defense will be first or 2nd year players outside of Matheson.

2029. Kent hughes not done selling.
Dude just came on board in 2022, and that's literally when the deconstruction began.

Reactions: viceroy and Tuggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad