Speculation: Kent Hughes is not done selling

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
With Lindholm and Monahan gone and the crop of interesting available players being very low into this deadline, I could see Hughes going hard selling the few vets Montreal still has.

He just made the move of the decade getting 2 first rounders for Monahan in less than 2 years (one to take him, one to trade him away) and was somehow able to get a 1st for Ben Chiarot (!). What is his next move?

Pearson (with 50% retention) and Savard are the obvious pieces, but Kovacevic could also be had for pretty cheap IMO.

Any takers?

I think Savard could fetch a 2nd and a prospect, while Pearson could get a 3rd to a team looking for bottom 6 depth and Kovacevic about the same, but I could be wrong.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
With Lindholm and Monahan gone and the crop of interesting available players being very low into this deadline, I could see Hughes going hard selling the few vets Montreal still has.

He just made the move of the decade getting 2 first rounders for Monahan in less than 2 years (one to take him, one to trade him away) and was somehow able to get a 1st for Ben Chiarot (!). What is his next move?

Pearson (with 50% retention) and Savard are the obvious pieces, but Kovacevic could also be had for pretty cheap IMO.

Any takers?

I think Savard could fetch a 2nd and a prospect, while Pearson could get a 3rd to a team looking for bottom 6 depth and Kovacevic about the same, but I could be wrong.
Bruins will take Suzuki

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Allen is as good as gone at the deadline. At this point I’m expecting a 3rd/4th for him

Pearson and Savard; one of them will probably get retained by half. Savard is definitely coveted by teams and retaining will increase his value. For Pearson we might have to retain just to get a mid to late pick for him. I like Pearson but he’s just so injury prone it’ll be a tough sell at his cap hit

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Allen (if a team with a goalie need is willing to pay a 3rd w/o retention, or more with).
Pearson (habs likely to retain or take back cap and l'd imagine ~3rd or a 2nd tier prospect is the price)

Ylonen may also end up moving, wouldn't expect much in return

on defense, I really don't think we'll see Savard traded unless the return is a bit silly (1st+)... the habs defense is already incredibly young, and will see 1-2 top prospects (Hutson/Reinbacher) likely get an NHL taste later in the year... Habs value the vet/mentor aspect a lot and Savard has been excellent in that capacity.

Kovacevic more likely to be moved. A 3rd or similar prospect is probably the starting price, more if a cap dump comes the other way (habs have cap space to leverage) or if a bidding war emmerges.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Any takers?

Move of the decade?
I think you’re selling him short here.

😆

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How dare you be so respectful, don't you know where you are

Yeah, IKR?

Kovacevic seems like the kind of guy who should be going for more than his AAV would indicate because he does look good at just being safe. And $766K for this year and next... cheap depth for good teams is certainly wanted.

(I have liked him since he was with the Jets, not that I think he can push up into other lineups and be something more than what he is - which is a solid 3rd pairing dude.)

Last edited:
Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Move of the decade?
I think you’re selling him short here.

😆
It is basically two 1st round picks out of thin air... And it looks like the Calgary pick might be better than everybody thought. Would not be surprised to see Winnipeg fall to Colorado or Dallas in the 1st round and the pick going into the late teens.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
It is basically two 1st round picks out of thin air... And it looks like the Calgary pick might be better than everybody thought. Would not be surprised to see Winnipeg fall to Colorado or Dallas in the 1st round and the pick going into the late teens.
It's more likely hte FLA pick tbh

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Lol. Ok.
😆

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
16 teams miss the POs. Barring WC teams winning in round 1, unlikely given where the Jets currently sit in the overall standings for their pick to be 17-19.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The only big piece that seems likely to be moved would be Savard, with retention he could return something hefty, and if I were GM I'd want a 1st or equivalent value, otherwise I'd rather just keep him around as a veteran insulating the kids for one more year.

Pearson should be available for cheap
Allen or Primeau will get moved eventually. I suspect at the end of it all we'll wonder why we didn't just put Primeau on waivers early in the season
Kovacevic might be of interest as a depth RD, though I wonder if the return will be worth moving him, since he's a good fit and you still have to ice a team next season. Signing a mediocre veteran at 2M for 3 years isn't going to help out in the long run...
Jake Evans is a guy some playoff teams might look at as a 4C, but like Kovacevic... is the return worth moving him for, given the role will need to be filled anyways?

I'm annoyed at Dvorak's injury.... if centers are at a premium right now, he'd get Montreal something of interest. Not what Montreal gave to get him, but still something of value.

Jul 6, 2016
I wouldn't move Savard for less than a 1st.

If he doesn't get it, he's still a useful vet for the Habs and they can always move him next year.

Kovacevic is also useful, but we got a ton of young D and if we can fetch a 3rd then I'm in.

Allen I'd move for pennies.
Yeah. Allen is the next one to go. And Hughes can get more than pennies for him. Possibly a second-rounder.

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2