Speculation: Kent Hughes is not done selling

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Edmundson's retention ends this summer.
I know. But it won't be over on draft day, which is when a lot of movement takes place.

If it's down to getting a 4th for Allen by retaining on him, vs getting a 2nd for Dvorak at the draft by retaining on him, it's possible Hughes looks at the Dvorak option, even more if he expects to be able to move Allen eventually in any case.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Lot's of talking about Colorado looking into Allen as their 2nd goalie.
Does make sense.

AVS : 3rd 2025 ?

or

MTL : Allen (50%) + Wpg first 2024 + AVS 2nd 2024
for
AVS : Ritchie

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Lot's of talking about Colorado looking into Allen as their 2nd goalie.
Does make sense.

AVS : 3rd 2025 ?

or

MTL : Allen (50%) + Wpg first 2024 + AVS 2nd 2024
for
AVS : Ritchie

If the Avalanche wants to bolster their middle-6 (they should!) maybe a Johansen vs Allen swap and then a trade with Anaheim for Henrique at 50%?

Johansen could fill a jersey in Montreal since they lack centers until the end of the season… would then become a trade asset / retention candidates next year along with Savard, Dvorak and to a lesser extent Armia?

Reactions: viceroy

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
2nd round pick for Allen? Why would another GM do that??

IF its a 2nd round pick for Savard, that's a laughable offer.
They aren't going to get offers for Savard he's got another year after this one and as for Allen he's no saviour

If the Avalanche wants to bolster their middle-6 (they should!) maybe a Johansen vs Allen swap and then a trade with Anaheim for Henrique at 50%?

Johansen could fill a jersey in Montreal since they lack centers until the end of the season… would then become a trade asset / retention candidates next year along with Savard, Dvorak and to a lesser extent Armia?
I don't see Montreal wanting Ryan Johansen in any shape or form

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
So... a far lesser return than the Habs got for a Kulak (a clearly lesser defenseman) rental ?
Anyways, if no one has a first or equivalent to offer, he stays. I like him as a vet for our young defense.
I don't remember they got a first rounder for Kulak man Edmonton was desperate...and by the bye they got a conditional 2nd R for him right

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He's probably not done, but he only has one retention spot left, and I don't think it can go to anyone else but Jake Allen.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I know. But it won't be over on draft day, which is when a lot of movement takes place.

If it's down to getting a 4th for Allen by retaining on him, vs getting a 2nd for Dvorak at the draft by retaining on him, it's possible Hughes looks at the Dvorak option, even more if he expects to be able to move Allen eventually in any case.
A 4th is close to worthless and then retaining? Forget it.

Even a 3rd rounder is questionable return for an NHL player.

Reactions: calder candidate

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Johansen would cost a 2nd and 3rd round pick as sweeteners to dump . No interest from the Habs.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Johansen would cost a 2nd and 3rd round pick as sweeteners to dump . No interest from the Habs.

He only has one year left. If you get a 2nd Hughes definitely takes on Johansen for Allen. Maybe with another "useless" pick like a 5th from the avs.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Congrats to him for extending the rebuild past a decade. Nothing like trading proven nhl players for magic beans who might contribute something in 5 years. The team must be pissed.
I don’t think we go into next season without some type of replacement whether they believe it’s in Laval, at the draft, free agency or trade.

I only see Roy and Heineman as candidates to break out and put up 40-50 points next year but I guess you never know.

As far as what’s available via free agency I haven’t looked that up yet.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He only has one year left. If you get a 2nd Hughes definitely takes on Johansen for Allen. Maybe with another "useless" pick like a 5th from the avs.
Agreed. My 2nd + 3rd was a standalone trade where there were no assets going back. A pure cap dump. 3rd for the remainder of this season and a 2nd for the extra year on his contract.

Either way, Habs do not have any interest with Suzuki / Dach / Dvorak / Evans in the fold.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They don’t have much to sell imo

Savard 50% retained
Kovacevic
Matheson (for the right price)
Josh Anderson (50% retained)
Allen 50% retained (probably more of an offseason move)
Armia 50% retained (probably more of an offseason move)
Tanner Pearson (50% retained)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Savard 50% retained
Kovacevic
Matheson (for the right price)
Josh Anderson (50% retained)
Allen 50% retained (probably more of an offseason move)
Armia 50% retained (probably more of an offseason move)
Tanner Pearson (50% retained)
Remove everyone except Allen and Kovacevic. The rest are either untradeable or needed (Savard).

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
yeah we can disagree on that assessment.
Very unlikely Hughes wll retain on contracts longer than 2 years. Very unlikely anyone would want Armia / Tanner Pearson regardless of retention.

Very unlikely the Habs trade Matheson or Savard as they still need these players to support the rebuild. The Habs have a responsibility to mentoring / guiding the young D prospects / players with competent veterans.

This isn't an exercise of stockpiling picks. The Habs have a ton of of picks. What is important is player development.

Reactions: Qwijibo and pth2

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

If Johansen is still a positive influence, even if he's gotten painfully slow, I could actually see this working for Montreal. He could be a rental for a 3d or 4th in a year, as a rental, while filling in at a painfully thin C position.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
He’s gonna do it again, he’s gonna get a 1st for Arber f***in Xhekaj isn’t he.

No way he trades Xhekaj. Harris is the kid on the block for a 2nd.

Armia, Anderson, Allen.... They will need to give picks to unload...

Anderson won't.

The handling of Monahan almost washes away the organizational stain of theMcDonagh trade, almost……

Geez. That trade was like what? 3 GM's ago?

Johansen would cost a 2nd and 3rd round pick as sweeteners to dump .

Johansen would be a good target. Allen(no retention) for RyJo + a 1st/Ritchie. Then you hope for some St-Louis magic to rehabilitate him a bit and flip him at next year's Trade Deadline.

• Haha
Reactions: Guy Larose

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Pearson is supposedly a really great teammate and well liked.

But my god was that contract the most random piece of work by Jim Benning when it was signed in terms of “length”, “Dollars” and even “clauses”

Even with retention
It is hard to not notice his foot speed being flat out terrible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad