Karlsson's Season and Future Part II: E-Bay Watch Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Lol.

An unproven prospect, who has played less than 20 games of college hockey, is worth Karlsson, plus Turris/Zibanejad?

i'm not even sure whoever had the 1st pick would do that trade. I'd go ahead and pick mcdavid if it was me.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
wait someone would actually trade karlsson for the top pick in this years draft?

god that would be embarrassing for ottawa

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Ah. In my fantasy world post I was saying our original pick was hanifin. We were giving up karlsson and a top center for mceichel

That is exactly my point. Personally I see McDavid as a Toews or Crosby type of impact player. These players make other players better and the whole team better at both ends of the ice.

I love Karlsson but I have a real deep problem with first pairing defensemen who cant play defense to save their lives.

I think long term a McDavid makes us better than Karlsson.

One of the reasons I don't think Karlsson is an Elite is because he can't adapt to the quality of players he's playing with. Look at a guy like Lidstrom, he could play with whoever an rarely has a bad game. The problem with Karlsson is that he's good when he's playing with top quality defensemen but he's nowhere near when he plays with other guys. Look at Cowen's play beside Karlsson and Cowens play beside Ceci it's mind numbing that our "best" players doesn't make other players around him better. Look at Crosby , hes making friggen Blake Comeau look like an allstar.

Obviously most people here don't like my view but I accept that. I'd take a shot a macdavid + a prospect over Karlsson anyday

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That is exactly my point. Personally I see McDavid as a Toews or Crosby type of impact player. These players make other players better and the whole team better at both ends of the ice.

I love Karlsson but I have a real deep problem with first pairing defensemen who cant play defense to save their lives.

One of the reasons I don't think Karlsson is an Elite is because he can't adapt to the quality of players he's playing with. Look at a guy like Lidstrom, he could play with whoever an rarely has a bad game. The problem with Karlsson is that he's good when he's playing with top quality defensemen but he's nowhere near when he plays with other guys. Look at Cowen's play beside Karlsson and Cowens play beside Ceci it's mind numbing that our "best" players doesn't make other players around him better. Look at Crosby , hes making friggen Blake Comeau look like an allstar.

Obviously most people here don't like my view but I accept that. I'd take a shot a macdavid + a prospect over Karlsson anyday
I see what your saying. And yeah most people will just attack you and accuse you of wishing we were Edmonton. But yeah. Mcdavid over karlsson. The hype is crazy. Mcdavid sells out our building. Increases revenue. Expands our fanbase. If you were to guarentee me it was karlsson for mcdavid. I would do it.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
So trade Karlsson because he's not Lidstrom.

Do you have a reasonable argument against what I said or you just don't know what to say and feel obligated to post something?

I'm trying to compare a player that makes players around them better to Karlsson. Would I take Crosby, Toews, Kopitar over Karlsson ? No questions asked I'd do it. Now what I'm saying is there is about a 90 % chance that McDavid becomes that type of player. That's all I'm saying. I'd take that type of influence over an unidimentional defensemen everyday. I'f you can't understand that then I don't know how to say it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

When did Lidstrom play with a guy like Phillips, or Boro? His last 5 years in the league, he was paired with Rafalsky, Stuart (back when he was still very solid, a season with White (who was pretty good when healthy), and Kronwall.

TBH, I don't remember Lidstom being paired with 6/7 D too often; you might have to go back all the way to when B Murray was coaching Detroit to see him skating with bottom pair quality guys like what Phillips has become, I honestly don't recall who his partner was back then (looked it up, Larry Murphy when they won the cup in 97).

Edit: Lidstrom never lacked talent to play with to anywhere near the degree Karlsson does now.

Last edited:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
you didn't make an argument though, so a counter argument isn't needed

making a statement that he isn't flexible with whom he plays is wrong, he's played extremely well with Kuba, Methot, and Edler.

Who are the different defensemen that Lidstrom meshed with? Whether this is right or not, I imagine you don't know and making stuff up methinks.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Karlsson not having partners is such a lame excuse.

He's played well without elite partners beofre. He's played well with methot. He's played well with kuba. He's at great games this year with Phillips. And boro.
He's having an up and down start to the year. Why can't people accept that? It's just the way it is. He hasn't been his usual self. Getting beat one on one. Making mind boggling decisions with pinches straying into open ice. But he's also had great games this year. He's been inconsistent. People don't have to jump all over ale veryone who points this out "well what about his partner what did he do!!!???" Just stop it. If he's elite he will take care of himself. Which he is totally capable of.

People are just so against saying karlsson had a terrible game (which he has had this year). And when they do admit it. It's followed but like 20 different excuses. There's one thing karlsson misses that has taken adjusting. It's not partners. It's not coaching. It's not his Achilles. It's jason spezza. He came into this league giving spezza the puck. He's never played without him. But he's clearly adjusting.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I see what your saying. And yeah most people will just attack you and accuse you of wishing we were Edmonton. But yeah. Mcdavid over karlsson. The hype is crazy. Mcdavid sells out our building. Increases revenue. Expands our fanbase. If you were to guarentee me it was karlsson for mcdavid. I would do it.

McDavid brings marketing hype, but the risk of him not living up to expectations. I'd do the trade, but I think we're more likely to win the lottery than to trade Karlsson.

There's also the issue that we'd have to get another top pair d to replace Karlsson. We're already having enough trouble finding 3 guys to go along with Karlsson in our top 4, I'd hate to see the mess our blueline becomes while we look for a new top pair D.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
McDavid brings marketing hype, but the risk of him not living up to expectations. I'd do the trade, but I think we're more likely to win the lottery than to trade Karlsson.

There's also the issue that we'd have to get another top pair d to replace Karlsson. We're already having enough trouble finding 3 guys to go along with Karlsson in our top 4, I'd hate to see the mess our blueline becomes while we look for a new top pair D.
You get the next big thing. The money comes. The players come.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Karlsson not having partners is such a lame excuse.

He's played well without elite partners beofre. He's played well with methot. He's played well with kuba. He's at great games this year with Phillips. And boro.
He's having an up and down start to the year. Why can't people accept that? It's just the way it is. He hasn't been his usual self. Getting beat one on one. Making mind boggling decisions with pinches straying into open ice. But he's also had great games this year. He's been inconsistent. People don't have to jump all over ale veryone who points this out "well what about his partner what did he do!!!???" Just stop it. If he's elite he will take care of himself. Which he is totally capable of.

I think the expectation for him to always look like an elite D will playing with 6/7 D for his partner is lame. Crosby doesn't look like the best player in the world every game, and he's surrounded by more talent than Karlsson (which is pretty sad given the Penguins are constantly struggling to find guys for sid to play with).

You get him a capable partner so he doesn't have to do it by himself all the time.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Do you have a reasonable argument against what I said or you just don't know what to say and feel obligated to post something?

I'm trying to compare a player that makes players around them better to Karlsson. Would I take Crosby, Toews, Kopitar over Karlsson ? No questions asked I'd do it. Now what I'm saying is there is about a 90 % chance that McDavid becomes that type of player. That's all I'm saying. I'd take that type of influence over an unidimentional defensemen everyday. I'f you can't understand that then I don't know how to say it.

You really don't think Karlsson makes the players around him better? :facepalm:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think the expectation for him to always look like an elite D will playing with 6/7 D for his partner is lame. Crosby doesn't look like the best player in the world every game, and he's surrounded by more talent than Karlsson (which is pretty sad given the Penguins are constantly struggling to find guys for sid to play with).

You get him a capable partner so he doesn't have to do it by himself all the time.

Crosby babysat Kunitz and pascal dupuis for several years.
Don't compare Crosby and karlsson. Different planets.

Crosby consistently looks like the best player in the league.
Karlsson needs to work on just that. His consistency.

What talent did Sid play with? Malkin on a differnet line? Staal? On a different line. Letang?

He just got hornqvist this year.

Karlsson doesn't get blamed for his partners mistakes. He gets blamed for his own mistake. Bad pinches and wandering has nothing to do with his partner. This has been beaten to death. Some people just stare at their karlsson posters and just don't want to hear it or see it.dont be afraid. He isn't gonna read this and leave because of it. We're not gonna run him out of town. He has played really well the last few games. I thought he was good against the kings not sure why so many people were hating on him.

Last edited:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

Lidstrom never played with a D in any way like the one Karlsson plays with in fact the Wings have never iced an ultra budget team anything like the team the Sens are icing ,to compare he two is ludicrous.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Trade Karlsson for the pick to get Mcdavid. Then when McDavid nears 25 years old, trade him for the next big thing and so on and so forth forever.

Thats how you build a winner folks!

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Trade Karlsson for the pick to get Mcdavid. Then when McDavid nears 25 years old, trade him for the next big thing and so on and so forth forever.

Thats how you build a winner folks!

You've got it. Works for Uncle Eugene too and the internal budget..
Getting rid of top players and never ending rebuilds are what
we should aim for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad