Karlsson's Season and Future Part II: E-Bay Watch Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Most games we are in it within a Goal. If Karlsson actually back checked, like he used to, we could win or at least tie more of those games.

The +/- does not lie.

Cut back his minutes until he starts back checking!

In the Olympics he was +
In the WC he was a +
In Jokerit he was a +
The only time he had a top 4 partner and was on a good team he was a +

"+/- does not lie."

I'm still waiting for someone to show me a great season by a defender who never had a great/very reliable partner.

No one has done it yet. Karlsson played with Pylon Cowen most of last year and has been playing with nothing but bottom pairing/ECHL defenders this year too.

This thread need to be closed. Seriously. And all Karlsson haters should choose another team to chear for.

Basically.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
The fact that we do not have a suitable partner for EK is 100% not a coaching issue. It is a management issue at the very lowest level, and possibly a higher level issue with the team being forced to continually work with lesser options and hope for the best.

I think it's tempting to attribute our subpar defense to budget issues but I really don't think it is. How many top pairing defenders, or even decent top 4 defenders have been either traded or left via UFA over the past couple of seasons.

Paul Martin and Erhoff are the only ones I can think of, and they both ended up in Pitsburgh so I think it's unrealistic to think we had any chance at them even if we had room in the budget. Good defenseman are very hard to come by.

I'm happy management hasn't made a panicked move. This team is still young and there's potential on our backend. I think patience is the right approach but it is frustrating that our defense is well below league average.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think it's tempting to attribute our subpar defense to budget issues but I really don't think it is. How many top pairing defenders, or even decent top 4 defenders have been either traded or left via UFA over the past couple of seasons.

Paul Martin and Erhoff are the only ones I can think of, and they both ended up in Pitsburgh so I think it's unrealistic to think we had any chance at them even if we had room in the budget. Good defenseman are very hard to come by.

I'm happy management hasn't made a panicked move. This team is still young and there's potential on our backend. I think patience is the right approach but it is frustrating that our defense is well below league average.

pretty much this

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

In 3 years our top 4 will be one of the best in the league it's just infuriating to watch right now. In 3 years I'll be glad we were patient. Just like how I'm glad we didn't make a panic move on Cowen :laugh:

BigBush*

If Methot was regularly in the line up I think this team would have good defense, and could possibly have a playoff spot right now (we lost a lot of close games).

If Ottawa lets Methot walk/ trades him and don't sign a top 4 defensemen in the offseason (Sekera, Erhoff, whoever), I'll blame the budget

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
If Methot was regularly in the line up I think this team would have good defense, and could possibly have a playoff spot right now (we lost a lot of close games).

If Ottawa lets Methot walk/ trades him and don't sign a top 4 defensemen in the offseason (Sekera, Erhoff, whoever), I'll blame the budget

I found it terrifying that Chiarelli was on the scout card for our game (can't remember exactly which one) a week ago, but didn't show up when Methot was a last minute scratch. Makes me think he's being shopped but that's speculation on my part at this point.

BigBush*

I found it terrifying that Chiarelli was on the scout card for our game (can't remember exactly which one) a week ago, but didn't show up when Methot was a last minute scratch. Makes me think he's being shopped but that's speculation on my part at this point.

I'm sure he is. Dorrion made it clear that if doesn't resign he will be traded. I don't see Ottawa caving to his salary demands.

I think Methot would bring a very nice return If he is healthy and plays well the second half of the season. He could actually bring back the best return as far as rentals go this year. If that's the case though I trust Ottawa will have a plan B (that doesn't involve promoting Wiercoich or playing Phillips)

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
In 3 years our top 4 will be one of the best in the league it's just infuriating to watch right now. In 3 years I'll be glad we were patient. Just like how I'm glad we didn't make a panic move on Cowen :laugh:

Patience doesn't mean not taking action. It means waiting for the right opportunity.

If a top 4 d-man was available now then I'd be pissed if Murray wasn't moving in and trying to bring them in.

Look at the amount of movement in top 4 defenders of over the past two seasons since Gonchar and Kuba left and tell me which ones we should have targeted and why we had a realistic shot at them.

EDIT: I read your post as sarcastic the first time and now I'm unsure...

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Makes me really sad seeing this city slowly turn on another star. We are losing, gotta find a scapegoat. Better hate on the guy playing 30 minutes a game and carrying the team most nights.

I'm not a blind supporter. I see the gaffes. But the gaffes are in part due to the ineptitude of the rest of the team, and EK's drive to get something, ANYTHING, going on the ice.

okayguy.jpg

This!!!

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
We will likely never have as talented a player again but you may be right.

I was really surprised with Team 1200 today. At least with Spezza they used to defend him from some of the overheated fans but today, which was the ugliest day I have ever seen from the Ottawa sports media, they were egging them on, it was non stop Karlsson bashing all day.

Brennan's agenda is clear and has been for a long time and his pal Chris Stevenson too, but I was really surprised with the rest and really disappointed in Team 1200. Just about time to click the channel I guess.

It is typical Team1200. I stopped listening to that garbage. Karlsson is ours and will be ours for the rest of his career and we will have a cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
That would be a nasty trade! If Murray could pull out another first in the top 5 and a prospect for Karlsson I'd be the happiest man. On earth. I'm sure it would be possible , don't think we'd do it thoo. Ahhh man that would be heaven

You have got to be ****ing kidding me...

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Patience doesn't mean not taking action. It means waiting for the right opportunity.

If a top 4 d-man was available now then I'd be pissed if Murray wasn't moving in and trying to bring them in.

Look at the amount of movement in top 4 defenders of over the past two seasons since Gonchar and Kuba left and tell me which ones we should have targeted and why we had a realistic shot at them.

EDIT: I read your post as sarcastic the first time and now I'm unsure...

I wasnt being sarcastic at all, I love our team's future and I know our young defencemen will be very good in a few years but the growing pains (that happen to every team in the league) are incredibly frustrating to watch. It'll pay off in the end though.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Nice to see this thread inactive after great game by Karlsson.

Turris weak play and Lehner weak goal = minus for Karlsson but he deserved it though completely and is indicative of his play, lool.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

The complaint about spending has more to do with suggesting people should understand a defense thus cheap will struggle. Having money doesn't mean we'd get to play fantasy all of a sudden.

Barring any great opportunities coming up you usually have to be patient in finding talent. All youn can do is manufacture talent and hope for some interesting trade opportunities to come up. Commit to the best ones

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

He wants too much money and his back is now serious concern, this is worse than Spezza

He should not be included in our future plans, he's not reliable and might not fit the budget

Not signing him ASAP might have been us dodging a bullet without realizing it

It's a setback but if you can get something in return for him then you do it

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
He wants too much money and his back is now serious concern, this is worse than Spezza

He should not be included in our future plans, he's not reliable and might not fit the budget

Not signing him ASAP might have been us dodging a bullet without realizing it

It's a setback but if you can get something in return for him then you do it

You're right, it really does depend on the state of his back. This is actually all Orpik's fault, Methot doesn't demand that much without that ridiculous contract. If his back is that much of an issue, I vote to move him for a good asset, draft a good D in this super strong draft and trade for a 2-4 year stopgap for Karl while we wait. Maybe Josh Gorges?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
******** he's not... you're just blind. It is that simple.

No, I can see clearly, I don't let my red & black goggles cloud my judgement.

He's not a generational talent. He's an excellent offensive defenceman. No more, no less. Hasn't shown much of this excellence this season though..

Nice to see this thread inactive after great game by Karlsson.

Turris weak play and Lehner weak goal = minus for Karlsson but he deserved it though completely and is indicative of his play, lool.

If last night's game from Karlsson was great, we clearly have different definitions of "great".

Karlsson2Turris*

I think people like Bluebook should stop expecting Karlsson to ever be back to 12-13 form. He said it himself, his Achilles may never be the same again. It's a shame yes, but he's still the best offensive defenceman in the game and is our best player.

BigBush*

I think people like Bluebook should stop expecting Karlsson to ever be back to 12-13 form. He said it himself, his Achilles may never be the same again. It's a shame yes, but he's still the best offensive defenceman in the game and is our best player.
Comments like these don't help either IMO. Some people here talk about his "12-13" form like it was some completely new level. Karlsson was the same player, he was just playing on a better offensive team.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No, I can see clearly, I don't let my red & black goggles cloud my judgement.

He's not a generational talent. He's an excellent offensive defenceman. No more, no less. Hasn't shown much of this excellence this season though..

If last night's game from Karlsson was great, we clearly have different definitions of "great".

Karlsson was very good yesterday.

Do I feel you have to go cheer for another team because you don't agree.............................nnnno.

Karlsson2Turris*

Comments like these don't help either IMO. Some people here talk about his "12-13" form like it was some completely new level. Karlsson was the same player, he was just playing on a better offensive team.

He was also very good defensively.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
1. boro was in for phillips
2. karl looked much better
3. we won against boston
4. no complaints

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That would be a nasty trade! If Murray could pull out another first in the top 5 and a prospect for Karlsson I'd be the happiest man. On earth. I'm sure it would be possible , don't think we'd do it thoo. Ahhh man that would be heaven

If we finish in the bottom three. And so does Edmonton. I probably make that trade. Mceichel plus hanifin and restart the rebuild. But
The asking price for top pick is probably karlsson + Turris/zib. That's a lot. But I probably still do it just for the drama.

Why are we trading karlsson though.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Lol.

An unproven prospect, who has played less than 20 games of college hockey, is worth Karlsson, plus Turris/Zibanejad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad