Karlsson's Season and Future Part II: E-Bay Watch Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Being a small market budget team, its not gong to be easy to attract first class players here. We have one now, an elite player .Doesn't mean we should ignore his mistakes but the all out bashing with the Sun and Team 1200 was something I have never seen here before.The media especially Team 1200 often used to act as a buffer between the fans and complaints about Spezza but in this case they are leading the mob.

Karlsson said that he loved Ottawa and the longer he was here the more he loved it. I wonder if he feels that way today? Lets hope he can...well...shake it off.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I have to agree with what McGuire said yesterday: Karlsson is all over the place and he needs to focus and I hope Cameron is going to sit him down and just have a good talk with him

Karlsson's been through a lot, has no reliable partner or mentor to lean on and is trying to do to too much because our team simply isn't very good yet.

Erik needs to get better but he also needs a lot more help from everybody else: he's 24 years old, he's still a kid.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Stupidest argument repeated on here endlessly.

He's obviously not.

But hyperbolic, relentless criticism? Yeah I'd say he's exempt.

It's tough when you watch "the teams only superstar" make the same mistake 28 games in a row.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The carousel of 3rd pairing dmen that have been subbing in on EK's left side has been a major factor in his poor performance this year.

I understand the options aren't all that swell with Methot out, but management and coaching are failing with Karlsson by not having someone solid beside him at all times.

Staple boro or cowen to him for 20 or so games and see what happens.

Every other superstar dman in the league has a very solid partner who seems to compliment them well. Why has it been such a struggle to find one after kuba that worked?

We need a reliable #1 pairing in the worst way.

Last edited:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
The carousel of 3rd pairing dmen that have been subbing on EK's has been a major factor in his poor performance this year.

I understand the options aren't all that swell out there with Methot out, but management and coaching are failing with Karlsson.

Staple boro or cowen to him for 20 or so games and see what happens.

Every other superstar dman in the league has a very solid partner who seems to compliment them well. Why has it been such a struggle to find one after kuba that worked?

We need a reliable #1 pairing in the worst way.

The fact that we do not have a suitable partner for EK is 100% not a coaching issue. It is a management issue at the very lowest level, and possibly a higher level issue with the team being forced to continually work with lesser options and hope for the best.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The fact that we do not have a suitable partner for EK is 100% not a coaching issue. It is a management issue at the very lowest level, and possibly a higher level issue with the team being forced to continually work with lesser options and hope for the best.

Its an issue when cowen or boro could be playing and developing chemisty with him. It was the coaches that got too impatient and kept defaulting back to Phillips simply because he's a vet.

But I do agree, management is very much to blame here as well.

I honestly feel we are a better team than PM would have us believe. I really mean that.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
I am the biggest fan of Karlsson but I am growing tired of his antics. Now lately he keeps his stickblade uppstraight when skating without the puck. He's like the kids in peewee who just have their odd things going on. Karl need to grow up, and that very fast. He must skate more and not glide, the gliding makes him reacting slower, always late into everything.

I know the tendom never will be the same but his mind is not damaged, I hope...so he should at least act as an adult.
The captaincy went up to his head. He is all in it for joy (the game) which is ok but he must put in 100% effort all the time.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I'm sure nobody is hating on Karlsson, but we can hopefully all agree that there is a problem.

Our best defenceman is our worst defenceman, and we are losing Hockey games.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm sure nobody is hating on Karlsson, but we can hopefully all agree that there is a problem.

Our best defenceman is our worst defenceman, and we are losing Hockey games.

I'll bet if you switch EK out with say Pietrangelo, whom he is compared with all.the.time. for the "who is better" argument, dollars to doughnuts our record is no better.

EK is the type of player who needs a little support from his D partner. One could argue "he shouldn't need help, he shouldn't have to have another D man cover his mistakes", however, and this may seem overly simple, EK is less of an all-round player than a Weber or a Doughty, and weighs more toward the offense. In order for his O to excel, his D needs that extra help. A stable, defensively-sound partner is what this kid needs, and not arguably our 8th D man on the depth chart in Boro, or a slowing-down veteran in Philly.

Bottom line, get the kid a little help, shore up the D, and EK will blossom again.

He's making some mistakes, ya. Look at the first goal vs. LA, he failed to clear the zone on the previous play. But perhaps he just decided to bring it up himself because a)our forwards can't receive a pass half the time; or b)they aren't in position. Pure speculation, but it might be an example of how EK feels he has to do too much, causing these errors.

He still plays 10 more minutes per game than the next defender. That, to me, demonstrates that we don't have the support needed around him. It also means that he's playing with a carousel of players within a game (even when he had only 1 minute of PP time), and that's not helpful either.

Back in Black

Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Couldn't agree more.

Question: Would you rather have a Karlsson playing more defensively and winning hockey games, or Karlsson with more points (offensively), but losing Hockey games?

If Jacques Martin was coaching Ottawa right now, defensive Karlsson is what you would see playing.

I love Karlsson, but he is not playing the defensive part if his game, that we know he can play.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Couldn't agree more.

Question: Would you rather have a Karlsson playing more defensively and winning hockey games, or Karlsson with more points (offensively), but losing Hockey games?

If Jacques Martin was coaching Ottawa right now, defensive Karlsson is what you would see playing.

I love Karlsson, but he is not playing the defensive part if his game, that we know he can play.

Obviously you'd want to win. But to directly correlate Karlsson's offence with winning or losing is unfair.

Case in point - He's had a good game today defensively, but we're still losing.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
EK has not been great defensively. He isn't 'great' defensively anyways, but he has always been good. Couple that with his generational offence (defence man), and you get a one-of-a-kind player.

He has not been good defensively this year, and it's not his partner's fault.

I think that there are three main things at work that are conspiring together to make EK less effective in his own zone, and I think all three are solvable in an immediate sense, if it becomes a goal.

1) because we are a young inexperienced team that struggles to score on most nights, EK carries the burden for offence. Given that he is a defenceman, when he puts the team on his shoulders offensively it leads him to always be thinking offence first, and thus always cheating a little to that side.

2) because he plays so much a night. EK has to manage his tank given that he has to play half the game. And these aren't minute munching minutes, these are expected to be game breaking minutes. It is physically and mentally draining. Sometimes players don't have the gas for a crazy back-check, especially when they have just driven the offensive rush, and sometimes they have to cheat a little to make sure that they have enough in the tank to be effective all game.

3) there is no one on the team anymore who can tell EK to relax and stop trying to do too much. Spezza is gone, Alfie is gone, Gonchar is gone. No one on the squad has the respect and pedigree to relate to EK and the expectations that are on his shoulders. It's easy for Phillips to say "take it easy EK, I know what it feels like" but the truth is, he does't, and no one else on the team is good enough to (bobby is close, and will get there here with us).

The solution is easy and pretty straight forward in my eyes, but all three issues must be dealt with together.

The Zib line has been taking more and more of the scoring burden away from EK, which is great news. That is a line that has a nice mix of experience and youth, and is a line that can actually play unsheltered minutes and produce offence. This will free Karlsson from feeling he must win games on his own. We must continue to shuffle to create that second line that can be trusted to pot a goal here and there, and we will see EK back off a little. The man wants to win, and if no one else can do it, you KNOW EK is going to give it a go, and he has been, night after night, often to the detriment to his D.

Cutting back EK's minutes by 2-4 could give him more gas in the tank to do special things, and make his epic back checks. We want him to have the gas to do his epic rushes, AND his chase-down back checks in the same shift. He does't need to play as much, especially on the PP (75% should be max).

And the last thing is that the coaching staff need to focus on freeing up EK's mind, and letting him be a star, a captain, but a player on a team, not THE team. I don't think EK has a proper role model on the team, and I think that one should be found (Alfie on staff ASAP?), they could replace Phillips, or at least the coaching staff have to realize that this side of the game is important. Sometimes young guys need to hear from people they respect, and sometimes they need to be grounded.

What we all need to remember is that EK has all of the tools, knows how to use them, and when he does he is in a class all-around, of his own. He needs to be able to play his game without feeling the weight of the team's wins and losses on his shoulders alone. the 'C' has added to this because as a star it means to some that you ARE the team. There are few things worse than being accused of not trying when you feel like you're carrying the team night after night, especially when we are still losing (this is what Spezza had endured for most of his time here).

Tackle these three issues and I bet we see EK happy, and as all-around dominant as we all know he is. We may also win a few more games!

My opinion

Honest M

May 11, 2012
LOL, mwahaa this thread is fun reading it's so dumb :handclap:

Most games we are in it within a Goal. If Karlsson actually back checked, like he used to, we could win or at least tie more of those games.

The +/- does not lie.

Cut back his minutes until he starts back checking!

It's contless dumb posts like this, i'm looking at the game now and Karlsson is the best sens player by far but he isn't getting alot of help.
Lern to play defance, skate harder mwahah, the kid got his work cut out for him :handclap:

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
EK has not been great defensively. He isn't 'great' defensively anyways, but he has always been good. Couple that with his generational offence (defence man), and you get a one-of-a-kind player.

He has not been good defensively this year, and it's not his partner's fault.

I think that there are three main things at work that are conspiring together to make EK less effective in his own zone, and I think all three are solvable in an immediate sense, if it becomes a goal.

1) because we are a young inexperienced team that struggles to score on most nights, EK carries the burden for offence. Given that he is a defenceman, when he puts the team on his shoulders offensively it leads him to always be thinking offence first, and thus always cheating a little to that side.

2) because he plays so much a night. EK has to manage his tank given that he has to play half the game. And these aren't minute munching minutes, these are expected to be game breaking minutes. It is physically and mentally draining. Sometimes players don't have the gas for a crazy back-check, especially when they have just driven the offensive rush, and sometimes they have to cheat a little to make sure that they have enough in the tank to be effective all game.

3) there is no one on the team anymore who can tell EK to relax and stop trying to do too much. Spezza is gone, Alfie is gone, Gonchar is gone. No one on the squad has the respect and pedigree to relate to EK and the expectations that are on his shoulders. It's easy for Phillips to say "take it easy EK, I know what it feels like" but the truth is, he does't, and no one else on the team is good enough to (bobby is close, and will get there here with us).

The solution is easy and pretty straight forward in my eyes, but all three issues must be dealt with together.

The Zib line has been taking more and more of the scoring burden away from EK, which is great news. That is a line that has a nice mix of experience and youth, and is a line that can actually play unsheltered minutes and produce offence. This will free Karlsson from feeling he must win games on his own. We must continue to shuffle to create that second line that can be trusted to pot a goal here and there, and we will see EK back off a little. The man wants to win, and if no one else can do it, you KNOW EK is going to give it a go, and he has been, night after night, often to the detriment to his D.

Cutting back EK's minutes by 2-4 could give him more gas in the tank to do special things, and make his epic back checks. We want him to have the gas to do his epic rushes, AND his chase-down back checks in the same shift. He does't need to play as much, especially on the PP (75% should be max).

And the last thing is that the coaching staff need to focus on freeing up EK's mind, and letting him be a star, a captain, but a player on a team, not THE team. I don't think EK has a proper role model on the team, and I think that one should be found (Alfie on staff ASAP?), they could replace Phillips, or at least the coaching staff have to realize that this side of the game is important. Sometimes young guys need to hear from people they respect, and sometimes they need to be grounded.

What we all need to remember is that EK has all of the tools, knows how to use them, and when he does he is in a class all-around, of his own. He needs to be able to play his game without feeling the weight of the team's wins and losses on his shoulders alone. the 'C' has added to this because as a star it means to some that you ARE the team. There are few things worse than being accused of not trying when you feel like you're carrying the team night after night, especially when we are still losing (this is what Spezza had endured for most of his time here).

Tackle these three issues and I bet we see EK happy, and as all-around dominant as we all know he is. We may also win a few more games!

My opinion

Number 1 and 2 aren't really much different then before.

Playing with a #4 dman vs a #6 undoubtedly makes a difference to a guy that relies on his partner reliably making the simple
Play.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Number 1 and 2 aren't really much different then before.

Playing with a #4 dman vs a #6 undoubtedly makes a difference to a guy that relies on his partner reliably making the simple
Play.

I disagree.

Spezza was the team's offensive catalyst and the one who bore the brunt for poor play and losses. Karlsson was the secondary punch and was able to play a far less lightening rod role.

EK clearly has felt that he needs to drive the offence so far as even scoring the goals, in order or the team to succeed. Instead of a few rushes here and there, but usually passing to Spezza who would rush the line, EK seems to feel that he has to do ALL of that. It looks like he feels that the team wins and loses based on his ability alone to create offence.

It's sapping his stamina, and it's making him cheat more and more to the offence, because what choice does he have?

The D partner stuff is smoke and mirrors. You have to adjust your game to who you play with. Guys have to be really good to play with EK while he does his thing. Since that's not the case here right now, EK has to adjust based on who he's playing with. We should't care if the offence suffers if we see wicked development from our star captain.

We want to win in the future, not now, so we should make sure that EK focuses on playing the game right, not trying to carry this squad on his back to 9th place.

My opinion

Back in Black

Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
LOL, mwahaa this thread is fun reading it's so dumb :handclap:

It's contless dumb posts like this, i'm looking at the game now and Karlsson is the best sens player by far but he isn't getting alot of help.
Lern to play defance, skate harder mwahah, the kid got his work cut out for him :handclap:

Mabe u shuld lern to spel be4 you right! :nod:

I'll be the first to admit Karlsson had a good game. Even on the short handed goal he was on the ice, it wasn't his fault, and he actually back checked hard!

Honest M

May 11, 2012
Mabe u shuld lern to spel be4 you right! :nod:

I'll be the first to admit Karlsson had a good game. Even on the short handed goal he was on the ice, it wasn't his fault, and he actually back checked hard!

I'll better get me a dictionary :) and stop messing so much with the keybord klumsy me..

EK is not the problem on the sens, I hope they get their game together so he can play his game and do what he do best. But i Think it will take some changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad