Proposal: Karlsson to the Rangers

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
For the millionth time...
Players don't sign deals so that the team they are joining has to get weaker by giving up more assets to the team they are leaving to get them.
This is fiction. Anyone who says they're trading for a signed player x is using wishful thinking at best.

For UFAs this is 100% true, but I'm guessing what is meant by "signed Karlsson" here is that the Sens make a trade with Karlsson's approval to a team that he wants to sign with.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Derp...he said as SIGNED KARLSSON.

And HELL NO from the Sens.

The offer was poor and not worth it for the Sens, but you're not getting full Karlsson (7/8 year) value just by signing him. If you sign him, it's most likely because you intended to trade him to a specific team that he's already agreed to and now he gets a shot at having 8 years instead of 7.

You're not just signing him and then saying "Hey, all you General Managers, make me an offer!! There's most likely a limited amount of teams he's agreeing to.

The sign and trade is so you get more value than Karlsson as a rental, or more value than losing Karlsson to free agency.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The offer was poor and not worth it for the Sens, but you're not getting full Karlsson (7/8 year) value just by signing him. If you sign him, it's most likely because you intended to trade him to a specific team that he's already agreed to and now he gets a shot at having 8 years instead of 7.

You're not just signing him and then saying "Hey, all you General Managers, make me an offer!! There's most likely a limited amount of teams he's agreeing to.

The sign and trade is so you get more value than Karlsson as a rental, or more value than losing Karlsson to free agency.

The Sens can let Karlsson choose the places he is willing to play and then let those teams fight over the chance to sign this generational player. If you really think teams won't pony up for a generational Dman, then I can't help you understand.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
You realize this is the best defenseman in the world we are talking about here, correct?
Ok but no team is giving up pieces like Chytil, Skjei, and 2 firsts (8th overall and next years should be below 15) for EK. Especially a rebuilding team

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The Sens can let Karlsson choose the places he is willing to play and then let those teams fight over the chance to sign this generational player. If you really think teams won't pony up for a generational Dman, then I can't help you understand.

What are you trying to help me understand? I didn't say teams won't pony up anything, I even said the offer was poor for the sens, however expectations that you're getting the same value as if Karlsson signed without the idea of a sign and trade, I think it's going to be lower than what some expect.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
What are you trying to help me understand? I didn't say teams won't pony up anything, I even said the offer was poor for the sens, however expectations that you're getting the same value as if Karlsson signed without the idea of a sign and trade, I think it's going to be lower than what some expect.
The whole idea is a sign and trade. The Sens won't make a deal for Karlsson any other way.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Ok but no team is giving up pieces like Chytil, Skjei, and 2 firsts (8th overall and next years should be below 15) for EK. Especially a rebuilding team
I've said this before but rebuilding teams don't trade for superstars that will cost a lot to obtain.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I've said this before but rebuilding teams don't trade for superstars that will cost a lot to obtain.
Ok but you’re going to be disappointed at what EK actually fetches (if traded) that’s an insane package you asked for

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Gorton has but said the Rangers are in rebuilding mode here, So why? Would Erik Karlsson want to play in New York with the Rangers knowing that.
Put Karlsson on the Rangers as they are now with no other improvements and they're easily in the playoffs.

The Rangers suck because with a crippled Shattenkirk, they literally have a D corps that belongs in the AHL.

Meanwhile, they dealt Nash, Grabner, and Miller and still have a very good forward group that's extremely deep. Fix the defense and the rebuild is over.

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Ok but you’re going to be disappointed at what EK actually fetches (if traded) that’s an insane package you asked for
I'll admit you can probably take out the 2019 1st, but Chytil, Skjei and 2018 1st is a fair ask for EK.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I'll admit you can probably take out the 2019 1st, but Chytil, Skjei and 2018 1st is a fair ask for EK.
Still no. Chytil is that young potential 1C we need and Skjei is a 3D. Add in 8th overall and that’s a no. Rangers don’t need EK at all, maybe some other team would do a deal like that but we respectfully decline

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This whole thing makes me laugh. EK is not a bottle of wine at this point, he's a gallon of milk. Really, really good milk, but milk. The point being is that you don't have forever to act here. You basically have two shots at this to maximize your return and if you don't take them you have overplayed you hand and headed on a one way trip to bustville. The chances are at the draft, and in February at the deadline. I would send him a mid range offer right now and put it out there that there's a contract with his name on it and if he wants to remain a Senator the ball is in his court. If there's not ink on that paper in 48 hours, then I'm throwing the bouquet over my shoulder and whoever wants to catch it the most is getting hitched to EK for the best package I can finagle at the draft. This way it's not a huge distraction to the team all year and causing all kinds of problems, and you can sell the fans on the idea that he could have been here if he wasn't a golddigger but he is and that's why we dealt him. The Rangers have no place being involved here. They aren't a contender. We're wasting away the career of one hall of fame swede, we don't need a matching set. It would be intriguing to see what the Devils would ante up. He could really put them into the next level.

Genuflexion

Aug 20, 2017
A signed Karlsson is very literally irreplaceable to us, I don't see anything the Sens could see as fair value if he wants to stay

Last edited:

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
Shattenkirk , Zucc and Rangers 1st for a signed Karlsson .

So Shattenkirk takes a huge hometown discount to play for his favorite childhood team and gets dealt a year later? A part of me wants to see that happen.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
NYR : Karlsson
Ott : Spooner, Skjei, Day, Tampa 1st, NYR 2nd

If he goes anywhere, in my mind it's New York.

The Rangers can afford to trade multiple high picks. They'd be thinking long and hard about parting with young players that have high upside, but I'm confident this is all part of the Rangers' mini-teardown and clear out plan.

I feel like their management has zeroed in on a Karlsson package for quite a while, and given that he stayed put at the deadline, they will be at the front of the line to acquire him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad