Proposal: Karlsson to the Rangers

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
No were rebuilding why would we trade for Karlsson. If anything, we could just sign him in fa next offseason
Because Karlsson won't get to free agency.

He'll either sign in Ottawa, or his agent will finesse a deal where he is locked into an extension prior to next summer.

After all he's been through on and off the ice, I'm assuming that his number one priority is to get a long term deal in place asap. He wants certainty.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Because Karlsson won't get to free agency.

He'll either sign in Ottawa, or his agent will finesse a deal where he is locked into an extension prior to next summer.

After all he's been through on and off the ice, I'm assuming that his number one priority is to get a long term deal in place asap. He wants certainty.
Alright than keep Karlsson, I don't see the incentive from a rebuilding team to trade 2 players they could get a lot more assets from and a top 10 pick for a guy who is has a year left on his deal.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Alright than keep Karlsson, I don't see the incentive from a rebuilding team to trade 2 players they could get a lot more assets from and a top 10 pick for a guy who is has a year left on his deal.

The point would be that he'd lock down with the Rangers. Which he would do in a heartbeat.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Yes the gap between Karlsson and Shattenkirk is immense. A superstar dman to a 2/3 guy. But it isn't as large as that between a good top line forward and a press box scrub like Peter Holland.

Lol

Buchnevich replaces Zucarello, Spooner replaces Buchnevich, one of Chytil/Andersson replaces Spooner.

Rangers could unironically be better at forward without him depending on development quirks from their other forwards due to spread around icetime.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
For a signed Karlsson, Ottawa laughs and hangs up.

Not sure why NYR does this anyways. By the time they're ready to contend again Karlsson will be near his mid 30s.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No from Rangers. Don't need EK, just rebuild and trust the process
Although McKenzie said Rangers might go hard after EK+Tavares, would be a mistake

mostly this^.
Tavares would be a mistake

The play as to EK should be:
let him turn UFA
do not consume assets to acquire

then have understanding with him
1 or most 2 yr deal at top top top dollar overpay (11m-ish per)
to see if he is a good fit with where we are by then,
and projection of our short term picture

we will not do long term at top $ 'cause we do not want to take risk on players declining quickly after 31 yrs old
if he likes NYR and wants to take smaller # [6mish] for additional 3-4 years, after this top dollar contract expires, that may be doable. If not, he should go where he wants for more $ or whatever he is searching for.

If this is a great fit, fine. We enjoy the production.
If not, then there would be an extended, but not unlimited ntc. We would sell EK as a rental to a contender, one acceptable to him, and recover assets for $ on the short term deal.

The OP offer btw was on the lite side.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Shatty has a 10 team no-trade clause. Ottawa would be on it, if for no other reason than because Karlsson seems to be on the trade block

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
They have no leverage to force him to sign, so you think they are willing to let him walk?
They can let him choose the destinations he prefers and then get him an 8 year deal acceptable to EK and his new team.

If he goes UFA he only gets 7 and has to wait a full year to play on the team he wants.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
They can let him choose the destinations he prefers and then get him an 8 year deal acceptable to EK and his new team.

If he goes UFA he only gets 7 and has to wait a full year to play on the team he wants.

This is a pipe dream you guys are telling yourselves so you can feel good about the value. This never happens (Hossa trade exception and that was not about term).

Why hurt his new team and force them to give up assets making them weaker when he can do them a solid by signing for nothing?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This is a pipe dream you guys are telling yourselves so you can feel good about the value. This never happens (Hossa trade exception and that was not about term).

Why hurt his new team and force them to give up assets making them weaker when he can do them a solid by signing for nothing?
Because there is more than one team competing for his services in my scenario.

If you think only one team will be in on a signed Karlsson, then I can tell you which one of us is offering up a pipe dream.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Because there is more than one team competing for his services in my scenario.

If you think only one team will be in on a signed Karlsson, then I can tell you which one of us is offering up a pipe dream.

You aren't making any sense. He can go anywhere he wants. You want him to give up that control to help you out. It's a very Ottawa centric point of view, bordering on delusional.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You aren't making any sense. He can go anywhere he wants. You want him to give up that control to help you out. It's a very Ottawa centric point of view, bordering on delusional.
Sorry you cant figure this out.

EK doesnt give up control. He chooses the markets the Sens can deal him to in a sign and trade and then his agent works out a deal with the teams that meet the Sens price.

Happens all the timenin the NBA and will become more common place in the NHL.

Reactions: topshelf15

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Sorry you cant figure this out.

EK doesnt give up control. He chooses the markets the Sens can deal him to in a sign and trade and then his agent works out a deal with the teams that meet the Sens price.

Happens all the timenin the NBA and will become more common place in the NHL.

Nope. I understand you, you're position just has no basis in reality.

He probably has a team in mind and does not need Ottawa to facilitate the trade. You are clinging to hope with no example in the past of this ever happening.

Yes, Ottawa can give him one extra year but guess what, if you trade him this summer without an extension his new team can do the same thing.

That is reality.

You are creating this fantasy reality in hopes of getting a bigger return that he simply has no reason to do.

In the future if you are going to be condescending and assuming the other person "can't figure it out" you should make sure your position makes sense. Expecting people to "figure out" ridiculous situations is just...ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Siddi

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Nope. I understand you, you're position just has no basis in reality.

He probably has a team in mind and does not need Ottawa to facilitate the trade. You are clinging to hope with no example in the past of this ever happening.

Yes, Ottawa can give him one extra year but guess what, if you trade him this summer without an extension his new team can do the same thing.

That is reality.

You are creating this fantasy reality in hopes of getting a bigger return that he simply has no reason to do.
There is no chance the Sens deal Karlsson this summer without a deal in place or agreed upon with his new team .

His value is therfore based on being signed, not a rental.

I know you love fantasy scenarios where the Sens get screwed, but it simply wont happen.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
There is no chance the Sens deal Karlsson this summer without a deal in place or agreed upon with his new team .

His value is therfore based on being signed, not a rental.

I know you love fantasy scenarios where the Sens get screwed, but it simply wont happen.

You are back to the beginning.

There is a chance.

There is a chance he is not moved until the deadline.

There is a chance he stays in Ottawa.

There is no chance you know what you are talking about. Just give it up.

You're right they may trade him to a team that has talked to his agent, but if they do it will be the team he chooses, which is an unknown, no one but him, his agent and maybe his family know that currently, if at all.

If he declares he wants to go to the Rangers, for example, you have something to talk about, until then it's all hopes and prayers.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
EK is the best offensive defenseman in the NHL today.

Odds are that he will be as well in 2-3. After that, it may no longer be the case. So any trade the Rangers make today HAS to be with the mindset of what are we getting for when the team is ready to compete in 2-4 years.

10 million plus for a declining player is not what I want or the Rsngers need.

If we were three years deep into the rebuild, different story. But right now, there is no fit.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You are back to the beginning.

There is a chance.

There is a chance he is not moved until the deadline.

There is a chance he stays in Ottawa.

There is no chance you know what you are talking about. Just give it up.

You're right they may trade him to a team that has talked to his agent, but if they do it will be the team he chooses, which is an unknown, no one but him, his agent and maybe his family know that currently, if at all.

If he declares he wants to go to the Rangers, for example, you have something to talk about, until then it's all hopes and prayers.
I dont want that garbage package from the Rangers.

I do want posters to be realistic and understand that if EK is available, there will be a bidding war for his services.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->