Confirmed with Link: Karlsson and Donskoi re-signed (posts 14 and 16)

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I just included him for completeness. I hope we don't bring him back.

I gotcha, i mean, at this point no one is even certain JT or Patty will be back. Im hopeful at least Patty will return. My heart sais resign Joe if he's willing to take less money and a lesser role.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
2M is exactly what I thought Karlsson would get. At 26 a year term is just fine too.

Cool with Donskoi's deal too though wish we could get one more year at that AAV .. :) I bet he turns it around this year after his shoulder heals up.

corbanSOG

Registered Loser
Apr 27, 2003
I have no problem with either contract. Karlsson gets a small raise over his previous contract, and Donskoi at $1.9m is a potential steal if he can regain his 15/16 scoring touch. There's some risk if neither player can develop beyond a 4th line role, but neither deal is a huge over-payment.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
$2mil/yr and 3 years for a 4th liner is insane. Melker is far and away the most replaceable player on the roster. There are literally a half dozen players on the Barracuda who could do his job just as well. I really hope this doesn't mean they're gonna waste an expansion draft protection slot on the guy too.

Awesome deal for Donskoi. Would have liked to have see them go a little longer with him to really get a steal down the line but $1.9mil is extremely cheap for a guy I think should bounce back and be a legitimate second-line forward next season.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Matt Nieto is also a 10G-10A/season player who is faster, a better possession player and a better PKer than Karlsson making less than half what Karlsson made last season and most of the board was fine with us giving him away for literally nothing. Nieto is also three years younger.

Karlsson hits people. Nieto gets hit. Overall I take Karlsson.

EDIT: Didn't see deals were announced. Like them both.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Karlsson hits people. Nieto gets hit. Overall I take Karlsson.

EDIT: Didn't see deals were announced. Like them both.

I'll take a guy who gets hit a lot over a guy who hits a lot any day of the week. The former means he has the puck. Regardless of who's better the point is they're very close in value but Nieto is 3 years younger and now makes $1.3mil less. And if not Nieto, we have the best farm team in the league. Most of the Cuda forwards could replace Karlsson in a pinch for less than half the cost. And to go three years? This was such an unnecessary signing.

I hope we at least cut bait on Tierney.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Easily tradeable. I like the idea of rewarding hard workers from within the system. Encourages the youngsters. Good deal when looking at it from all angles.

It's definitely not a bad contract, but if they are still competing for the Cup this season, every bit of cap will make a difference. Tradeability is only relevant year 3 (maybe 2).
Just seems like DW makes solid deals for the big guys, but has a tendency to overpay the easier to replace bottom-6. Gotta hope he doesn't "reward" Vlasic and Jones too much.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
$2mil/yr and 3 years for a 4th liner is insane. Melker is far and away the most replaceable player on the roster. There are literally a half dozen players on the Barracuda who could do his job just as well. I really hope this doesn't mean they're gonna waste an expansion draft protection slot on the guy too.

Awesome deal for Donskoi. Would have liked to have see them go a little longer with him to really get a steal down the line but $1.9mil is extremely cheap for a guy I think should bounce back and be a legitimate second-line forward next season.

You never fail to go over the top with something you dislike. I agree he is replaceable and the most replaceable but this contract is hardly insane. This is pretty much market value for someone in Karlsson's position and production level. Tough to really say about the expansion draft but because that's such a fluid situation, it's pointless to really speculate over it or even be upset over who gets protected in that situation. There is only one they can lose and there are many things that can be done to protect someone left exposed so there's not enough information to make a real judgment on that.

As for Donskoi, the dollar figure is fine but the term is not ideal. They signed him straight into UFA. If they pushed further, they weren't getting him at this rate, they would have paid more. Ideally, he needed a one year deal then go long term. But a person in Donskoi's position and what his window of production probably is, that's something they can work around.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
So it sounds like everyone but Donskoi's agent expects him to bounce back in a big way next season. I would have expected something over 2 and for only 1 year. Hopefully we have a 30+ point second line winger on our hands for less than 2 mill for the next two years. I don't think that's too far fetched.

I am not so stoked on Karlsson. I think he's better than replacement level, but not by a heck of a lot. It's not terrible, but especially side by side with a decent contract for Donskoi, I'm not thrilled.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think we let Haley walk and Carpenter takes his spot.

I don't think there is much of a chance that we re-sign Haley. Unfortunately, we may have driven Carpenter away by not giving him a real chance to stick around last year. Unless DW gives him a 1 way contract, I doubt wants to stick around given our depth at bottom-6 forwards.

If a forward gets picked in the expansion draft and/or we do not re-sign Patty/Jumbo maybe Carpenter can be convinced to re-sign.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So it sounds like everyone but Donskoi's agent expects him to bounce back in a big way next season. I would have expected something over 2 and for only 1 year. Hopefully we have a 30+ point second line winger on our hands for less than 2 mill for the next two years. I don't think that's too far fetched.

I am not so stoked on Karlsson. I think he's better than replacement level, but not by a heck of a lot. It's not terrible, but especially side by side with a decent contract for Donskoi, I'm not thrilled.

Or we have a 20 point 2nd/3rd liner at 1.9 a year for 2 years. Way over paid.

Antbox530

Feb 2, 2016
So much hate on the melkman. Dude never takes a shift off, is fast, good at forechecking and it's not like he has hands made of stone.

You guys are literally complaining over a 350K raise with a 70 MILLION cap for a useful player.

This is the kind of bottom line player we've needed for years, and know we have him and people want to get rid of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad