Confirmed with Link: Karlsson and Donskoi re-signed (posts 14 and 16)

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Makes sense. Replaceable. But cheap players that can be placed any where in the line up for short periods of times without being amajor hinderance.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Makes sense. Replaceable. But cheap players that can be placed any where in the line up for short periods of times without being amajor hinderance.

I agree.

Also, I think a few people on our board definitely undervalue Karlsson. He has been good for 24 (53GP) , 19 (65GP), 22 (67 GP) points over the last 3 seasons. Almost a 10G 10A player every year in a bottom-6 role. Has a good 2-way game and plays well on the PK.

If we can get him close to 2M AAV or so, why not?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I agree.

Also, I think a few people on our board definitely undervalue Karlsson. He has been good for 24 (53GP) , 19 (65GP), 22 (67 GP) points over the last 3 seasons. Almost a 10G 10A player every year in a bottom-6 role. Has a good 2-way game and plays well on the PK.

2m seems to high.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I agree.

Matt Nieto is also a 10G-10A/season player who is faster, a better possession player and a better PKer than Karlsson making less than half what Karlsson made last season and most of the board was fine with us giving him away for literally nothing. Nieto is also three years younger.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Matt Nieto is also a 10G-10A/season player who is faster, a better possession player and a better PKer than Karlsson making less than half what Karlsson made last season and most of the board was fine with us giving him away for literally nothing. Nieto is also three years younger.

Even though I did not disagree that giving Nieto away for free was bad, it was obvious that he was never going to get a shot here. The coaching staff seems to like the grit/physicality that Karlsson brings that they have liked in bottom-6 players. Also, saying that we should not re-sign Karlsson just because we gave up a 'similar' player in Nieto would be as wrong as giving up Nieto for free.

Also, Nieto has not had a better PPG any of the last 3 seasons compared to Karlsson. He may be faster (Karlsson is not exactly slow though), but I think both of them were about the same defensively. Sure, Nieto was cheaper, but I would rather play Karlsson over Nieto if given a choice.

Now why Haley was played over Nieto, is a question that most of us have been wondering for a while.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Even though I did not disagree that giving Nieto away for free was bad, it was obvious that he was never going to get a shot here. The coaching staff seems to like the grit/physicality that Karlsson brings that they have liked in bottom-6 players. Also, saying that we should not re-sign Karlsson just because we gave up a 'similar' player in Nieto would be as wrong as giving up Nieto for free.

Also, Nieto has not had a better PPG any of the last 3 seasons compared to Karlsson. He may be faster (Karlsson is not exactly slow though), but I think both of them were about the same defensively. Sure, Nieto was cheaper, but I would rather play Karlsson over Nieto if given a choice.

Now why Haley was played over Nieto, is a question that most of us have been wondering for a while.

I don't think Nieto is amazing or anything but paying Karlsson $1.6mil/year (it'll be even more than that on this new contract) when you can get someone like Nieto who does pretty much the same job for less than $1mil is just bad cap management, especially for a team as close to the ceiling as the Sharks.

Doug Wilson probably thinks Karlsson still has untapped potential and room to improve, which is laughable.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
No, Nieto is an inferior player.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
No, Nieto is an inferior player.

Maybe a little but regardless they're very close by virtually every statistical measure, Nieto is three years younger and most importantly he costs less than half what Karlsson does. You can get players that do what Karlsson does in the free agency bargain bin (or internally) for a fraction of the cost. Re-signing him to a multiyear deal is dumb.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Eye test will tell you Karlsson > Nieto, and some of the non-points stats align with that. I'm not arguing for a multi-year deal, but he's a huge improvement over Nieto.

Nieto may have similar points and a better takeaway/giveaway, but he hits half as much Karlsson (2nd worst hit/game on the Avs.. including defensemen), and blocks about .6 shots per game on a team that never has the puck. Karlsson blocks .9 shots/game. Neito's play style, IMO, is worthless for a Sharks bottom-6 player.

Personally, I'm completely done with bottom 6ers that are soft perimeter players that don't score, don't hit, and don't block shots. No place for them on the Sharks.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Karlsson is a better fore-checker than Nieto was and that's pretty much what his role is here and what they need on the lower lines but as soon as someone comes up that can fill that role, I have no problems trading him or letting him go. Yeah, you may be able to easily find someone capable of producing the points that Karlsson did but not in the same way. And sometimes you need that particular style of player that Karlsson is compared to Nieto.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Karlsson is a better fore-checker than Nieto was and that's pretty much what his role is here and what they need on the lower lines but as soon as someone comes up that can fill that role, I have no problems trading him or letting him go. Yeah, you may be able to easily find someone capable of producing the points that Karlsson did but not in the same way. And sometimes you need that particular style of player that Karlsson is compared to Nieto.

Agreed. He has a knack for doing the dirty work on a line really well, which frees up a lot of space.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Am I out of touch to think that Karlsson doesn't deserve a 3yrx$2m contract? Would have thought with that term the price would be lower.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Melker is our best forechecker. If anything he got less than I thought he was gonna get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad