Confirmed with Link: Karlsson and Donskoi re-signed (posts 14 and 16)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Really like Donskoi's deal. Good value, and I think the two year term allows the club to see what they've actually got. I think last season his production was obviously hampered by his shoulder problems. If he gets them right, he will be great value.

Karlsson isn't horrible, but I think 3 years is too long. I like what Karlsson bring, and I think last season when he didn't play the side certainly lacked the energy required on the forecheck. He isn't going to break the bank, but I don't think he needed that term.

Donskoi's deal is good in this situation.
He clearly had tough season ( all those injuries and scoring problems) so that 2yrs bridge deal good move by Wilson.

Now Donskoi has 2 seasons time to prove himself in NHL ( like Mikael Granlund did in Minnesota) before he gets big moneys.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Carpenter put up 4 points in 11 games and excellent possession numbers while playing with fourth liners. I like Karlsson as much as the next person but I strongly believe Carpenter could seamlessly replace him.

I think if Carpenter replaces anybody it's Chris Tierney

I can see them using him in the Tierney role next year if they decide to move on from Chris (it might he time IMO) but I doubt they'd be swapping Ryan Carpenter onto the Joes' wing to try to shake things up

I think if Tierney is gone then both Karlsson and Carpenter will be on the team next year

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

I can see them using him in the Tierney role next year if they decide to move on from Chris (it might he time IMO) but I doubt they'd be swapping Ryan Carpenter onto the Joes' wing to try to shake things up

I think if Tierney is gone then both Karlsson and Carpenter will be on the team next year

FWIW, I think Sorensen-Carpenter-Karlsson would be a good 4th line.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Just because "they" wouldn't do it, doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good idea. I stand by my statement. I like Karlsson but there is nothing he can do that Carpenter can't.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
^ fwiw I am approaching the look of our lineup more from the perspective of "what do I think is gonna happen" than "what do I want to happen"

It's possible Carpenter could become a top-6 wing option given the opportunity, but I don't think he'll get many chances in San Jose outside of playing 4C (or emergency 3C)

I haven't watched Carpenter enough to have a very strong opinion on him, but from what little time I have seen him play he seems like a natural center, and I think the organization views him much the same way and wants to keep him there

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
^ fwiw I am approaching the look of our lineup more from the perspective of "what do I think is gonna happen" than "what do I want to happen"

It's possible Carpenter could become a top-6 wing option given the opportunity, but I don't think he'll get many chances in San Jose outside of playing 4C (or emergency 3C)

I haven't watched Carpenter enough to have a very strong opinion on him, but from what little time I have seen him play he seems like a natural center, and I think the organization views him much the same way and wants to keep him there

This is my guess as well. Signing Karlsson to a contract and not Tierney leads me to believe he's on a short leash and is being exposed to Vegas. Deboer flat out said that it's time for Tierney to prove he belongs at this level. Anything can happen, but I'm betting Carpenter gets two more years with the second year guaranteed. He's the starting fourth line center next year.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Carpenter isn't a top-6 winger, but neither is Karlsson.

I'm not saying you're wrong about what the org thinks of Carpenter, I'm just saying that it's stupid. Carpenter is extremely intelligent and versitile. He should have had more of an opportunity.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
The idea Karlsson could be leading the AHL playoffs in scoring the way Carpenter is right now is laughable. Carpenter is clearly the better player.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Assertions that player x from the Cuda could do what Karlsson has done are assumptions, not facts.

Mueller's rookie performance is the poster child for granting players slots based on projecting potential.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Assertions that player x from the Cuda could do what Karlsson has done are assumptions, not a facts.

Mueller's rookie performance is the poster child for granting players slots based on projecting potential.

Are you seriously comparing projecting Carpenter as a useful utility player (Karlsson's role) to gifting a 19 year old Mueller a top-4 D spot?

Carpenter is 26. He is what he is. There isn't more 'potential' there. But what he is a cheaper Karlsson who can also play center.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The idea Karlsson could be leading the AHL playoffs in scoring the way Carpenter is right now is laughable. Carpenter is clearly the better player.

Even if he is, it really doesn't matter. Carpenter shouldn't be playing Karlsson's position. He should be playing Tierney's position. If there's any place where they could trade quantity for quality, it's on their roster. Preferably to help upgrade their blue line or their wingers. If they could make a deal with the Devils to get Kovalchuk that's centered around something like maybe Tierney and Dillon, I'd be happy to do it to open up a spot for Carpenter and either Heed or Ryan.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

AHL scoring does not mean somebody will be a better NHL player. There are plenty of players who win AHL scoring titles but can't crack it in the NHL. I remember back when I started watching hockey, I saw an article on the Sharks' website talking about how AHL defenseman Danny Groulx had just won the AHL award for best defenseman for the 2009-2010 season. At the time, I thought he would make an awesome NHL player, but since then I've learned that some players score a lot in the AHL but can't get it done in the NHL.

For the record, I don't think that applies to Carpenter. But I agree on the idea that the organization sees Carpenter as a natural center and wants to put him in that position. I would be fine with PinkFloyd's idea of trading Tierney and letting Carpenter replace him.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Highly unrelated but I stumbled onto more young Karlsson pics.

img_7954_42539256.jpg

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
No, despite the fact that he's stapled at the hip to Carpenter. Goodrow is a good AHL scorer, but not close to a top one.

Looks like he's right near the top right now (the standard offered by the previous poster).

Oh and how bow dah, goodrow outscored carpenter in the regular season (points and pace).

Last edited:

Antbox530

Feb 2, 2016
Looks like he's right near the top right now (the standard offered by the previous poster).

Oh and how bow dah, goodrow outscored carpenter in the regular season (points and pace).

Some people like their narratives

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Or maybe watch a Cuda game? Just a thought? I'm sorry but anyone who does knows that Carpenter is above and beyond Goodrow. It's not close. Carpenter had a really slow start to the year but believe me, he is a far superior scorer to Goodrow.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I didn't see carpenter as an energy player when he was up. that does show in small samples.

melker has that in spades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad