Recalled/Assigned: Kapanen sent down -- Gauthier called up

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Why would Matthews be at practice if he was a gametime decision last night?

Doesn't make sense to get him out there if he's dealing with soreness.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Interesting. Why the Goat and not Aaltonen ? All I can think of is he has size and we all know you can't teach size. Good for Freddie after last year's injury.

i'd ask why not Fehr but he was the one who opened his mouth. tsk tsk tsk

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I hope they are just resting Matthews for tomorrow. He didnt look right yesterday, nor in St.Louis. Still better than the rest, but if you have seen enough games this season, he looked a tad slower, and not as engaged in board play. Very simple callup reason, either Moore out Gauthier in, or Matthews is too "sore," and they dont want to risk him missing more games, so Matthews out Gauthier in.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Its been said. Why would he practice if he was sore yesterday, and played. I only hope that it is nothing that will require him to miss more than one game (if that). Post practice interview with Babcock may shed more light, but doubt it. He is very good at deflecting media questions. Matthews post game, was a broken record "ya know umm I was a bit sore, but umm good to go tonight."

Initially I thought maybe a trade or sending down of Moore. But then remembered Matthews situation

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
The first Leafs game I am going to this season (tomorrow against the Wild), and Matthews might not be playing in. Still prefer him to rest until he is 100% than risk any further damage though.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I just think he's a perfect 4. Looks like he may have been called up because Moore will need to move up?

I think id rather Gauthier higher up the lineup than moore tbh. I hope maybe freddy shows mangment he is ready to take moore out of the 4C spot and they can trade or waive him

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think id rather Gauthier higher up the lineup than moore tbh. I hope maybe freddy shows mangment he is ready to take moore out of the 4C spot and they can trade or waive him
I hope so too, Freddy showed last year he was ready imho.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
id say its a safe bet Matthews is taking a maintenance day, if he was likely to miss the game Id imagine Nylander would be at C otherwise our C's offer almost nothing offensively

I'm not sure if it was just a maintenance day, why put the lines into a blender? Assuming Matthews plays next game would any of those lines remain remotely the same?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Bozak and Moore as your #1 and #2 C
:eek:

So many things wrong with that. Just so many. It feels like 2009 all over again

I am glad Matthews getting the day off and hopefully few games. It's a long season. Poor guy gets all kind checkers against him, then he has to back check, he has to score. He's been everything for this team

Sooner or later Kapanen has to get on the score sheet. Kapanen overall hasn't looked anything like the Kapanen played in playoffs. That has become the benchmark for him.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Jonas Siegel‏Verified account @jonassiegel 21m21 minutes ago
More
Line combos today suggest Leafs preparing to play without Matthews tomorrow:
DOC6o8KUEAAeiTv.jpg

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm not necessarily expecting him to, but hopefully the GOAT shines.

This season is pretty much his last chance to earn a roster spot. If he's not good enough by the summer it's never going to happen

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
No one knows that answer yet. I assume post practice interview may shed light. Babcock could deflect the question as usual. Or he could say " just taking the day to rest, so he is good for tomorrow." The monkey in this scenario is why call up Goat? Could be in either way, and replace Moore, who has not looked good since day 1. Could it be a trade? Possibly but dont think so. Anxious for the post practice interviews.

In fact I think I remember when Matthews may have tweaked something. Dont remember the team, but he got hit, and feel kind of awkwardly on his leg (wonder if that was the old broken leg). If so that could be the aggravating moment. Jeeze I really hope we dont lose him at all, and if we do, I hope it is just Wednesday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad