Recalled/Assigned: Kapanen sent down -- Gauthier called up

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Obviously not a good sign against the Wild if Matthews can't go, but can't play him if he isn't good to go. Have to look long term rather than force it. But could just be giving him the day off for rest and he's fine for the next game. Who knows.

On the Gauthier thing...Moore just hasn't looked that good anyways. If Gauthier does get into a game on the fourth line I wouldn't mind. Nice to see him in that position considering the injury he suffered last season.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
If Gauthier just took Matthews spot in practice I’d agree we’re resting him for tomorrow. But looking at those lines I’m assuming Matthews is out tomorrow :(

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
They have put lines in a blender. I guess this puts to bed nylander as a c if babs won’t even do it for a couple of games Matthews could be out. I think Babcock is missing out on a more detailed nylander, he seems to be better at c IMO, but what do I know

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
They have put lines in a blender. I guess this puts to bed nylander as a c if babs won’t even do it for a couple of games Matthews could be out. I think Babcock is missing out on a more detailed nylander, he seems to be better at c IMO, but what do I know

Curious for me is that Nylander would've played centre last night if Matthews couldn't have played, but today's practice lines say otherwise. Gauthier might not even slot in either. Hoping Matthews isn't out for any length of time, in any case.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Curious for me is that Nylander would've played centre last night if Matthews couldn't have played, but today's practice lines say otherwise. Gauthier might not even slot in either. Hoping Matthews isn't out for any length of time, in any case.

It is strange, maybe babs forced Matthews to risk it last night because he didn’t like something he saw from nylander before last nights game at c? No idea now is the perfect time to put him there but if he isn’t going to do and prefers Moore then we’ll we are screwed

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
As much as this team without Matthews right now is difficult to imagine (we're losing games with him already playing god like), this might also force the need for urgency to play well and get the team playing more like a 'team' again.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It is strange, maybe babs forced Matthews to risk it last night because he didn’t like something he saw from nylander before last nights game at c? No idea now is the perfect time to put him there but if he isn’t going to do and prefers Moore then we’ll we are screwed

Hope Nylander to C is still in the cards at some point, but we'll see what possibly happens for now. Moore or Gauthier at 3C isn't ideal, but it seems like Marleau will go back in the middle before either of those scenarios materialize. Great if Matthews is good to go tomorrow night, but guess we can get by in the short term.

member 262271

Welcome back Goat! Will be interesting to see what he can bring.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
"the next Brian Boyle" would be great. If Gauthier had a little of McCarron's temperament I think he'd stick as a 4th liner

Last time goat was up he raised his game. He was using his size and he even drove hard to the net a couple times.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'm concerned that Gauthier is too slow! How has he looked with the Marlies?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Kadri
Bozak
Moore
GOAT

whatever happened to moving Willy at center?

here is hoping Bozak is being traded

P.S. Marleau can play center too.....

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Last time goat was up he raised his game. He was using his size and he even drove hard to the net a couple times.
need to see more of that from him. He skates well for his size, has ok offensive tools, just always seems like he's afraid to hurt someone when it comes time to initiate contact to me then the other guy initiates and gets leverage. Thought his wrister looked much better last year though

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Matthews is now trade bait, we were just showcasing him, how can he ever hope to play for Babs if he's not even 6'5, sad!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Goat being up tells me more that they are still not happy with Moore, not that they're too worried about Matthews.

Because I highly doubt Moore or Goat will be doing anything but centering the 4th line whether Matthews is injured or not.

Lines in practice:

Komarov - Kadri - Nylander
VanRyk - Marleau - Hyman
Brown - Bozak - Marner
Martin - Moore - Leivo

Our depth is pretty nuts. That's three good lines even without Matthews. And Leivo on the 4th. And Kapanen in the minors.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Goat being up tells me more that they are still not happy with Moore, not that they're too worried about Matthews.

Because I highly doubt Moore or Goat will be doing anything but centering the 4th line whether Matthews is injured or not.

Lines in practice:

Komarov - Kadri - Nylander
VanRyk - Marleau - Hyman
Brown - Bozak - Marner
Martin - Moore - Leivo

Our depth is pretty nuts. That's three good lines even without Matthews. And Leivo on the 4th. And Kapanen in the minors.

Yep, definitely get he impression they haven't been happy with Moore since the preseason.

Which also calls into question why they signed him in the first place. He didn't look all that great last season either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad