Proposal: Kane to the Flames

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I don't see Andersson being made available, nor any future 1st round picks in a deal for Evander Kane.

First and foremost he is a left shot left winger. Not a need whatsoever.
Secondly, Micheal Ferland is starting to put to rest any notion that another top six option is necessary at this point.
Thirdly, Kane is a player who is an upcoming UFA that has not eclipsed the 43 point mark in 5 seasons. Yes, he has had a phenomenal start to the year but trading for him now would be buying high, which is never a smart thing to do.
Lastly, Kane's potential off ice / character issues are a legitimate concern.

I just don't see the need or the want from our end to move valuable future pieces for such an asset.

At the beginning of the season, Kane may have been a great fit. You're right about Ferland though. He brings everything Kane brings to the table, but is playing much better.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I would think Chiarelli is looking at CBJ D, in a possible RNH swap. Although, he does have a weird fascination with power LWs.
Im just not sure CBJ has a D that we would need..with Klefbom, Nurse and Sekera coming back and Russell all as our LHD. We'd likely be looking for a RHS D that can provide offence ..David Savard isn't that..and Jones is flat out not available without severe overpayment...I don't see there being a match.

I believe he was there scouting Kane, who would be useful to us to play along side McDavid. Someone McDavid doesn't need to piggyback unlike Maroon.

drew5580

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2007
God no. I wouldn't trade for Kane even if it was Kane and Eichel for Brouwer and Stajan. Let alone this package that rational non-biased fans might say is in the Sabres favour.

This is an ignorant statement. Kane has been the hardest worker and is producing more than anyone else on the Sabres and seems to be liked by teammates and he’s stayed out of the news. Not directed towards you but the masses who immediately jump to bash the kid every time he’s brought up. I had the same concerns but the guy may be one of the hardest working players in the league and is starting to make better shot selections. He’s still not a playmaker but he can run a line all by himself. If people don’t want him that’s fine but let’s try to think of something more original than the same old company line.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Kane is quite simply the best power forward in the game right now.
One of the best, sure. But, the best? I don't think so. Alex Ovechkin and Jamie Benn might have a little bit to say about that. Regardless, he also has one of the most questionable characters in the league, which like it or not, will impact his trade value.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
One of the best, sure. But, the best? I don't think so. Alex Ovechkin and Jamie Benn might have a little bit to say about that. Regardless, he also has one of the most questionable characters in the league, which like it or not, will impact his trade value.
Maybe to outsiders like all of us. In reality players like him have a lot of value. Hes only 24 or whatever and has been in the league since 18. He hasnt had any issues in Buffalo aside from 1 puck bunny accusing him of some made up BS. It only became a story because his name was Kane and it happened in Buffalo. Nothing came of it because it simply wasnt true.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
At the beginning of the season, Kane may have been a great fit. You're right about Ferland though. He brings everything Kane brings to the table, but is playing much better.

Wut? PPG power forward with the second most 5v5 goals in the NHL since the start of 2017 and Ferland is playing better?

MoneyHands95

Oct 7, 2017
Calgary
Seems fair. How has Kylington progressed ?

Kane
Johnson

for

Bennett
Kylington
Lack

In terms of offensive production (which he originally showed a lot of promise for) he hasn't been able to pot very many goals, but his speed, maneuverability, and breakout plays are way above his level and create many offensive rushes and makes for great circulation if the team is able to capture some zone time in the opponents end. He still has a lot of potential to fill, but I believe a lot of teams would still want to see this guy in their prospect pool. The only reason I think I would consider giving him up is we have a young-middle aged defence core on the flames that will last quite a while on top of having what I believe is a more suitable prospect in Rasmus Andersson.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wut? PPG power forward with the second most 5v5 goals in the NHL since the start of 2017 and Ferland is playing better?
While I don't disagree with you, technically Ferland has outscored Kane over the last month.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It's honestly going to take more than a 20 game streak to convince people that Kane is a PPG forward. If you're looking at small sample sizes, Ferland since moving up to the first line about a dozen games ago is above a PPG.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
It's honestly going to take more than a 20 game streak to convince people that Kane is a PPG forward. If you're looking at small sample sizes, Ferland since moving up to the first line about a dozen games ago is above a PPG.
Since the start of the calendar year 2017. 60 games. Basically, since his injury healed.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I love Ferland, and I wouldn't take him off the first line in favor of Kane (chemistry!). However, it's pretty obvious IMO that Kane is a better player than Ferly overall. This is coming from a flames fan who was pitching up Eichel proposals last page :P

IMO if we could score Kane the obvious line change would be kicking Bennett down to the 4th line.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Kane-Jankowski-Jagr
Bennett-F.Hamilton-Versteeg/Brouwer

Play whichever of Versteeg or Brouwer has a better practice the day before.
This would give us 3 lines we know are capable of scoring, and high caliber offensive weapons on each one. The fourth line could surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad