Kane legal drama in Buffalo III (no hearsay, verifiable sources only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Smart from his perspective. Keeps some distance in case things go south. As a hawks fan, I'd rather see the Hawks play it safe then throw their full support behind a guy before they know the outcome. No player is bigger than a team.

Good point indeed.

The calculation by Mcd when he speaks is obvious

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That press conference was pure comedy gold. Exact answers I was expecting, and I love how it drove the media insane.

Can anyone tell me how this will affect the team even if he is charged? Will they sell less tickets, probably not. Will fans stop cheering, maybe a select few, but the building will be full, and people will quickly forget this happened. If he is charged, he will be suspended until it's resolved one way or another and Hawk life will go on. Bringing him to camp really has no big negative affect.

It does set a bad precedent for future players if he is suspended, he hasn't been charged, so he is completely innocent of anything right now. No reason he shouldn't be there.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
That press conference was pure comedy gold. Exact answers I was expecting, and I love how it drove the media insane.

Can anyone tell me how this will affect the team even if he is charged? Will they sell less tickets, probably not. Will fans stop cheering, maybe a select few, but the building will be full, and people will quickly forget this happened. If he is charged, he will be suspended until it's resolved one way or another and Hawk life will go on. Bringing him to camp really has no big negative affect.

It does set a bad precedent for future players if he is suspended, he hasn't been charged, so he is completely innocent of anything right now. No reason he shouldn't be there.

I have felt that all along.

I see it here in the GTA first hand: For every fan who abandons the ship, there are three more ready to take his place. Present day Hawks could probably take in close to 30 k fans if they had the facility.

HawksandLove

Aug 12, 2015
Im glad Kane is in Camp. That his team mates are standing behind him.

That press conference was so stupid I cant believe they had it. They came off like they didnt know they were going to be having one til 10 minutes before. It was so AWKWARD.

Whats done is done.

Moving forward. I am sure Kane will be a Hawk for another decade and that the boys will win at least two more Cups.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hawks and Kane were in a damned if they did/didn't re: presser. Media should have or likely did know that he couldn't answer anything with a pending investigation. The other alternative was him not coming, which isn't the right decision if they think he's innocent and he hasn't been charged. At the end of the day this will have little impact on the season to deal with one day of the media writing things/saying things on twitter. Not like Hawks fans will stop watching the games because of what Julie DiCarlo writes or Bernstein.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

I think the team would be affected by Kane getting suspended, which would happen if he is charged.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I think the team would be affected by Kane getting suspended, which would happen if he is charged.

The team on the ice would, sure, albeit a far cry less than they would by the loss of Toews or Keith, for example. But the ticket sales, ratings, and ad revenue wouldn't and the Blackhawks cut of the jersey sales after the NHL and NHLPA get their share isn't huge, so that loss is negligible.

The machine will keep on churning.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
I have a question for our lawyer friend:

This was discussion from from another board about Friedman's discussion on Calgary 960

McD said he discussed the case with Kane's legal team. Would that open up McD to a subpoena?

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
The team on the ice would, sure, albeit a far cry less than they would by the loss of Toews or Keith, for example. But the ticket sales, ratings, and ad revenue wouldn't and the Blackhawks cut of the jersey sales after the NHL and NHLPA get their share isn't huge, so that loss is negligible.

The machine will keep on churning.

The machine will keep on churning if the wins were to keep on churning.

But Kane has gotten a lot more important to this team with Saad and Sharp gone.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The machine will keep on churning if the wins were to keep on churning.

But Kane has gotten a lot more important to this team with Saad and Sharp gone.

Even if they miss the playoffs one season, I can't see the fan support falling off the map immediately.

If he goes to jail, they get 10.5 million in cap space to play with.

If he doesn't, he comes back and the team continues on.

wafflecones

Sep 16, 2015
I'm curious how people read this as McDon and other's maintaining distance from Kane? They made the decision to sit them right next to each other. While Kane sat their and delivered his (unfortunately misspoken) confidence in being cleared of wrongdoing, McDonough, Bowman and Wirtz sat beside him. It's hard not to take that (and even Kane being there at all) as 'standing by their player.'

While I guess it's possible that McDonough's wording about the having confidence in their decision because of Kane's legal counsel is punting responsibility a little, if Kane IS charged in the future the Hawks will look incredibly bad- regardless of whether they lay blame at 'bad information' based on Kane's lawyers. I also highly doubt they'd just take his lawyer's word without other information. There are so many risks involved with allowing him to play. Compare this to the relatively safe option of having him take a 'personal leave of absence.' (and I do believe that Hawks would have had enough power to keep him away if they truly wanted to)

I'm genuinely curious about people's thoughts as I'm having a hard time reading this as anything other than the Hawks concretely believing no charges are coming.

HawksandLove

Aug 12, 2015
Since you're already predicting the future, how about sharing this week's lotto numbers? :naughty:

Just how I see it.

kane is as part of this team as Hull or Mikita ever were or that Toews is.

No kane just feels wrong.

I dont see how the Bowmans dont repeat their reconstruction of a Cup winner like they did after the 2010 Cup and subsequent free agency losses.

I have faith in Bowman and in Toews but we will need kaner.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Just how I see it.

kane is as part of this team as Hull or Mikita ever were or that Toews is.

No kane just feels wrong.

I dont see how the Bowmans dont repeat their reconstruction of a Cup winner like they did after the 2010 Cup and subsequent free agency losses.

I have faith in Bowman and in Toews but we will need kaner.

What are you talking about?

How about a little less fan-boy/girl and realize we are discussing hypotheticals that could happen. We are you know...discussing our hockey team.

The thing that would feel wrong is losing. We have a consistent contender and we all would like it to stay that way. Hence removing the feels.

HawksandLove

Aug 12, 2015
kane was the top selling jersey in the NHL.

Im the fanboy? I dont own a single Kane jersey. Get over it.

He is beloved.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
kane was the top selling jersey in the NHL.

Im the fanboy? I dont own a single Kane jersey. Get over it.

He is beloved.

Never said he wasn't loved. I love what Kane has done for the team and city BUT if he is convicted that doesn't change that fact that he would be a rapist and no longer welcome.

You don't have to own the jersey to be a fanboy.

tomcho

Apr 27, 2010
Chicago

This was discussion from from another board about Friedman's discussion on Calgary 960

McD said he discussed the case with Kane's legal team. Would that open up McD to a subpoena?

I'm definitely not a lawyer but McD said he spoke to Kane's legal team not Kane. I'd guess conversations among his legal team can't be subpoenaed. Conversations between Kane and anyone else not at the home that night would I assume fall under hearsay rules.

You do bring up an interesting point and I'd like the lawyer who was on this thread to chime in.

Sir Loin

Apr 19, 2014
Chicago
kaner is not going anywhere

Get used to Toews and kane and more CUPS.

tumblr_inline_np7737FtAC1rbdnjz_500.gif

Yes....YES.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011

Anything he said about the incident would be pure hearsay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia