Kane legal drama in Buffalo III (no hearsay, verifiable sources only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Broadway Jay was bringing valuable insight to this case, court proceedings and the NY system.

Please keep posting responses as most people here find it extremely helpful. Some people are just too emotionally invested, this is sucky time to be a Hawks fan. I'd much rather read responses with credibility than armchair attorneys.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
@ScottLevinWGRZ: Sources: Everyone at #Patrickkane Hamburg home on the night of an alleged rape has been subpoeaned. Tonight at 5. @WGRZ #patkane

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
@ScottLevinWGRZ: Sources: Everyone at #Patrickkane Hamburg home on the night of an alleged rape has been subpoeaned. Tonight at 5. @WGRZ #patkane

At this point, charges are pretty much inevitable, and with that, suspension.

Best to just accept it and hope that the case goes Kane's way (and that he didn't do it, obviously).

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013

Best to just accept it and hope that the case goes Kane's way (and that he didn't do it, obviously).

Earlier there was talk about a subpoena only for the woman who went to Kane's house with the alleged victim. Now its everyone that was at the house. That may bode better for Kane if others at the house have a different story. What a mess, this is hard to fathom......

Kitty Hawk

"None of that stinkin' root beer!"
Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
Chicagoland, Illinois, USA

You're absolutely correct, but it's the disappointment and frustration in that this didn't have to happen. In the end it's his freedom and career at stake.

Kitty Hawk

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
Earlier there was talk about a subpoena only for the woman who went to Kane's house with the alleged victim. Now its everyone that was at the house. That may bode better for Kane if others at the house have a different story. What a mess, this is hard to fathom......

Weren't there supposedly only three people in the house? The two women and Kane?

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Weren't there supposedly only three people in the house? The two women and Kane?

Yeah maybe. I thought the driver might have been there as well, I would think he would be subpoenaed if he was in the car with all of them. We might not find out who actually testifies. What a nightmare, whatever happened Kane is an idiot for even putting himself in this position. He has everything in this world you could possibly imagine and still he thinks he can behave any way he wants and get away with it.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
According to the driver he dropped off Kane, his friend, and two women at the house.

Kitty Hawk

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
Yeah maybe. I thought the driver might have been there as well, I would think he would be subpoenaed if he was in the car with all of them. We might not find out who actually testifies. What a nightmare, whatever happened Kane is an idiot for even putting himself in this position. He has everything in this world you could possibly imagine and still he thinks he can behave any way he wants and get away with it.

After the other stupid things he's done he should've hired a "minder" to save himself and others. :shakehead

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
According to the driver he dropped off Kane, his friend, and two women at the house.

I would have thought the driver's testimony would be relevant. He would be a witness to how all were acting and things he might have overheard. If its a he said she said the way all were acting before going in the house would be important info in establishing what the womans intentions were going to the house. If they were all over each other in the car in paints a picture that the woman was going to the house intenting to sleep with Kane.

MR2010

Sep 4, 2015
I would have thought the driver's testimony would be relevant. He would be a witness to how all were acting and things he might have overheard. If its a he said she said the way all were acting before going in the house would be important info in establishing what the womans intentions were going to the house. If they were all over each other in the car in paints a picture that the woman was going to the house intenting to sleep with Kane.

I believe the prosecutor decides who he wants to call at the grand jury, if I remember what BroadwayJay said correctly.

Btw, if you're reading this BroadwayJay, I really appreciated your contributions to this thread. Thank you!

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Interesting that they would subpoena everyone that was in the home, assuming they have been subpoenaed for the grand jury, since the DA or whomever is bringing the case before the grand jury is able to only call witnesses that make their case and an indictment more likely. Bringing everyone to the party could make for conflicting stories or at least a muddled situation for the grand jury to decipher, well unless they are only asking one or two specific questions to the witnesses they know are friends with Kane. I don't know, too much legal stuff happening, wake me up when there's a charge or the investigation is closed.

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago

What makes the charges inevitable at this point? Sorry I have been at work all day, and am not caught up with the whole situation at the moment.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
What makes the charges inevitable at this point? Sorry I have been at work all day, and am not caught up with the whole situation at the moment.

Inevitable might be strong, but the grand jury almost never decides against the prosecutor. Because the prosecutor controls who gets to speak, they're basically only hearing one side of the case. Everybody speaking before the grand jury is doing so because the prosecutor believes that their testimony supports their case.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Inevitable might be strong, but the grand jury almost never decides against the prosecutor. Because the prosecutor controls who gets to speak, they're basically only hearing one side of the case. Everybody speaking before the grand jury is doing so because the prosecutor believes that their testimony supports their case.

It makes you wonder what the point of the grand jury even is. If the grand jury is for the purpose of determining if there is enough to go to trial, the prosecutor controls who speaks, and the grand jury almost always sides with the prosecutor it almost makes the grand jury process stupid. If you are trying to determine if there is a strong enough case to go to trail for a conviction what the heck do you accomplish in determining this by only looking at one side of the story? It seems idiotic, but there are many processes in this country that make little sense......

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
A Grand jury will do whatever you want... Kane is not a cop...it's likely he's getting an indictment.. This is going to get real messy for the Blackhawks.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
According to the following article the grand jury isn't expected to conclude for weeks:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...ane-investigation-to-appear-before-grand-jury

Former Erie County District Attorney Frank Clark says he does not expect any decisions to be made by the grand jury before the end of this month. In fact, he says this process could take weeks or even months to play out

I wish Broadwayjay was still participating because it also says this:

WGRZ also spoke with a local defense attorney who said that Kane could be asked to appear before the grand jury and his attorney could suggest witnesses to be called.

From previous comments in this thread and my understanding of a Grand Jury(mostly from Law & Order :nod:) only the prosecution presents it's case.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
According to the following article the grand jury isn't expected to conclude for weeks:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...ane-investigation-to-appear-before-grand-jury

I wish Broadwayjay was still participating because it also says this:

From previous comments in this thread and my understanding of a Grand Jury(mostly from Law & Order :nod:) only the prosecution presents it's case.

If Kane is asked to testify, he has the right to say no. You can't subpoena a defendant, as far as I know.

And the prosecution does make the call of who gets to testify. That's why it says his lawyer can suggest witnesses. Ultimately it's the prosecutor's call to accept those suggestions or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad