Seravalli: Kadri watch- Contract offer will start at 8mil AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I'll throw in a darkhorse team here : Buffalo. They have the cap space (19M right now), they have a young team that could do some damage and he would still be close to home (London, ONT).

Hmm.......I don't see that one at all. Buffalo was 25 points out of a playoff spot at the end of last season and still have a brutal Goalie tandem and a way too inexperienced D-corps and their Centre depth is terrible. I don't think they can do any damage at all next year. The only reason Kadri would go there is money, if they wanted to offer some ridiculous amount.

Reactions: Kurtz and Mister Ed

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If I were Anaheim, I offer him a deal.

I will give you one year deal for 10% more than you are looking for on the market.

I will assure you that at the deadline, you will be put on the market and we will absorb 50% of your salary.

You get to play out the winter in Cali and wind up on a contender in March, while making top dollar doing it. I would even write in some maintenance days into the deal so you can skip a road trip here or there.

Next off season you can reassess the market and hopefully the cap isn't so tight and some teams will have dead money off the books.

I needed to spend money to get to the cap floor anyway, and I know that in February, a healthy rested Nazem Kadri is going to be the cherry alot of GM's are going to want on top of their ice cream. It amounts to buying whatever blue chip assets the market will give for Kadri at the deadline for cash I needed to spend anyway.

If you combine this with the ability to take bad contracts at the prices GMS have been paying to dump them, that cupboard should be really full really quick.
It makes a lot of sense for Anaheim to sign a player with the cap space they do have to a 1 year contract and gain assets at the TDL by trading his retained contract to a contender.

However, there are a few reasons why Kadri doesn't do this. If he gets seriously hurt, he gets nothing beyond this season. It remains to be seen if he'd be on board risking it. I don't think he'd look favorably at the prospect of potentially moving 3 times within the next calendar year -> once to Anaheim, then to his TDL team and then in free agency next summer. Finally, he'd also be a year older next year and teams not wanting to give up a ton of term + high AAV will be even more reluctant to do so.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
8x2, 6x4 or 5x6 should be the only offers. If he's thinking long term $8M+ deal, I think he'll be waiting a long time.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Intimidated him out of series… lmao okay

Tkachuk is one of the more dominant players in the league and is only 24. Took Kadri how long to finally get over 50 points?

His first full NHL season was the lockout year when he had 44 points in 48 games. He then hit 50 points the next season. So either 1 or 2 years is your answer depending how you look at it.

Reactions: Nizdizzle and Ncit3

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Hmm.......I don't see that one at all. Buffalo was 25 points out of a playoff spot at the end of last season and still have a brutal Goalie tandem and a way too inexperienced D-corps and their Centre depth is terrible. I don't think they can do any damage at all next year. The only reason Kadri would go there is money, if they waiting offer some ridiculous amount.
96AA440F-6C98-4D3F-B867-798EAD0B63AE.jpeg

As if that never happens…

Rangeri

Sep 29, 2020
Lapland
So for now he does and has been useless in the POs. However there is a chance someday he won’t. But it hasn’t happened yet.

Did I learn?
People always say that certain player is not good in the playoffs. There is some arguments that some people can't take the pressure and they turn invincible in the playoffs and show only shadow of their true abilities. But like Tkachuk. He is young and pretty new to playoffs. Not even in his prime. We really don't even know yet what kind of performer Tkachuk will be. So i think this bad in the playoffs argument is just lazy.

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
I'll throw in a darkhorse team here : Buffalo. They have the cap space (19M right now), they have a young team that could do some damage and he would still be close to home (London, ONT).
If they were to bring Kadri in, I would hope that they would bring at least one more star and an acceptable goalie. I'am pretty sure those would have to be conditions in Kadri's contract because he does not want to get stuck on a team who is just going to mail it in.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
People always say that certain player is not good in the playoffs. There is some arguments that some people can't take the pressure and they turn invincible in the playoffs and show only shadow of their true abilities. But like Tkachuk. He is young and pretty new to playoffs. Not even in his prime. We really don't even know yet what kind of performer Tkachuk will be. So i think this bad in the playoffs argument is just lazy.
Ya but we have seen players like Mack and Crosby up their game in the playoffs as well in their first few years in the league.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
If they were to bring Kadri in, I would hope that they would bring at least one more star and an acceptable goalie. I'am pretty sure those would have to be conditions in Kadri's contract because he does not want to get stuck on a team who is just going to mail it in.

Oh, 100%, that goalie situation is mediocre at best. That's why I think they aren't a favorite but if Kadri's patience wears out, waiting for teams to clear cap, he could ''settle'' for Buffalo.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Buffalo probably wont admit it, but they're shooting for a top 3 pick again. This upcoming draft is bananas and this should be the last crack at a top 3 pick before things turn around for them. I still feel they're about 3 years out of making the playoffs.

No way they're better than or equal to TB, TOR, FLA, BOS and MON, OTT, DET are already looking better. Sad to say but It's going to be more suffering in Buffalo.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

You don't let a player of Kadri's caliber dictate major player decisions within in organization.

Buffalo probably wont admit it, but they're shooting for a top 3 pick again. This upcoming draft is bananas and this should be the last crack at a top 3 pick before things turn around for them. I still feel they're about 3 years out of making the playoffs.

No way they're better than or equal to TB, TOR, FLA, BOS and MON, OTT, DET are already looking better. Sad to say but It's going to be more suffering in Buffalo.

The Sabres weren't even close to the bottom three last year. What makes you think they've become worse this off-season?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Would not be surpriced if Kadri will sign to Detroit.

Most improved team at this offseason and could improve even more.

They have the cap space other teams are not having.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad