Proposal: Kadri for a blueliner

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Feeling is mutual and the list is extremely underwhelming for the most part. Kadri is more valuable to his team than his absolute value in a trade as well.
From the other perspective this would be like Spurgeon for Nylander. Younger talented players are easily more valuable even if the older player is better at his position.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
From the other perspective this would be like Spurgeon for Nylander. Younger talented players are easily more valuable even if the older player is better at his position.

I can buy that as a generality. With Spurgeon/Kadri, I think most on here would be at least mildly skeptical they would perform as admirably, at their usage, on different teams- to some extent. That's why I'm reluctant on Spurgeon, I don't deny he has been elite by some of his underlying metrics, but don't feel he is in an idealistic fit (and that's a high standard to hold anyone to, so that's a compliment) if the expectation is a top-pairing/#1D caliber return. Same for Kadri- while he could fit in, like Spurgeon, in a analogous #1C role for many teams (given he performs at that usage admirably), I don't think any team would be comfortable playing the analogous price and simultaneously expect that type of productivity.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Although folks go crazy about LHD and RHD, the Leafs seem set at LHD for years. So forgot any LHD for Kadri.
So look at RHD.....but they have to good, not just a little better than Carrick, and with some some term similar to four years of Kadri.
Don't seem like there is much available in a trade Guess the Leafs will likely have to go with Zaitsev, Hainsey this year and hope Ozhigikov, Carrick, Holl can fill the final spot. Dermot might even switch the right side this year, if Borgman can be the third LHD.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I'd do that providing they moved Gardiner for a RHD (or for assets to acquire one) but I'm a bigger Nurse fan than most.

That is horrible value, Nurse really isn't that good.

Chance McCallum's GAR model
Kadri: 10.9 GAR/82, comps are Jamie Benn, Patrick Kane, Sean Monahan
Nurse: 5.58 GAR/82, comps are Mike Green, Jason Demers, Nick Hjalmersson

No offense but that is a really dumb proposal to accept. It's Hall-Larsson 2.0. You are giving up a player twice as valuable on one of the best contracts in the League for a slightly above average dman.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Assuming Myers is ready would the Leafs have any interest in Gudas. Obviously not for Kadri but perhaps a deal could be swung. Paired with Gardiner or Rielly would allow them to focus on offense a bit more perhaps.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

No offense but that is a really dumb proposal to accept. It's Hall-Larsson 2.0. You are giving up a player twice as valuable on one of the best contracts in the League for a slightly above average dman.

As I said, I like Nurse more than most and I think that with his athleticism, he has a lot of room to improve.
But you're opinion is valid as well.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Assuming Myers is ready would the Leafs have any interest in Gudas. Obviously not for Kadri but perhaps a deal could be swung. Paired with Gardiner or Rielly would allow them to focus on offense a bit more perhaps.

Leafs would have a ton of interest in Gudas, but as you said not for Kadri. If picks/prospects not named Liljegren could do it, or roster players like Brown+, then there is something to be done.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I would.
When Gudas isn't getting suspended, he makes forwards think twice about going in the corners and the Leafs have no one on the whole team who provides that tool.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018

Nurse isnt fully developed yet. Saying he isn’t good is premature to say the least. He’s definitely improved since his draft. Too early to consider moving him until the Oilers see what he develops into.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
As I said, I like Nurse more than most and I think that with his athleticism, he has a lot of room to improve.
But you're opinion is valid as well.

He has athleticism but questionable IQ which is why his actual results never match up with his tools. He's pretty much at the age where he should be done developing at this is what he is, which is a 2nd pairing guy.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Depending on the price...Hell ya. Gudas is a Polak that can actually play.

Reactions: IceBoxHockey

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Nurse isnt fully developed yet. Saying he isn’t good is premature to say the least. He’s definitely improved since his draft. Too early to consider moving him until the Oilers see what he develops into.

He could improve but the Leafs are trying to win a cup right now and moving Kadri not only destroys our competitive advantage (3 #1Cs) but also we'd be moving a player that is arguably twice as impactful for a 2nd pairing guy. It doesn't make sense. Both Hjalmersson and Demers were both moved for essentially nothing in the last 12 months and provide similar if not greater on ice impact.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017

it's fated. it's chiarelli's karmic atonement. it is going to happen.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Leafs would have a ton of interest in Gudas, but as you said not for Kadri. If picks/prospects not named Liljegren could do it, or roster players like Brown+, then there is something to be done.

I’d move him for pick(s) personally. Brown is interesting but I feel we have pretty good depth in the pool on the wings so I’d pass. Gudas for a pick and we use the pick to add another defender to the long term development pool would be my plan.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I’d move him for pick(s) personally. Brown is interesting but I feel we have pretty good depth in the pool on the wings so I’d pass. Gudas for a pick and we use the pick to add another defender to the long term development pool would be my plan.
What pick?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I can buy that as a generality. With Spurgeon/Kadri, I think most on here would be at least mildly skeptical they would perform as admirably, at their usage, on different teams- to some extent. That's why I'm reluctant on Spurgeon, I don't deny he has been elite by some of his underlying metrics, but don't feel he is in an idealistic fit (and that's a high standard to hold anyone to, so that's a compliment) if the expectation is a top-pairing/#1D caliber return. Same for Kadri- while he could fit in, like Spurgeon, in a analogous #1C role for many teams (given he performs at that usage admirably), I don't think any team would be comfortable playing the analogous price and simultaneously expect that type of productivity.
Not expecting a #1D return though. Nylander would never get a #1D in a trade. If you want a sure fire #1 dman than put Matthews/Tavares on the table cause #1 dmen are not traded for the same reason you wouldn’t or shouldn’t trade Matthews/Tavares. I’m also confused, are the Leafs looking for a #1D? I’ve been told a million times that Rielly is a bonafide #1 dman. Spurgeon is an elite #2 that IMO played his best hockey next to Scandella.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Not expecting a #1D return though. Nylander would never get a #1D in a trade. If you want a sure fire #1 dman than put Matthews/Tavares on the table cause #1 dmen are not traded for the same reason you wouldn’t or shouldn’t trade Matthews/Tavares. I’m also confused, are the Leafs looking for a #1D? I’ve been told a million times that Rielly is a bonafide #1 dman. Spurgeon is an elite #2 that IMO played his best hockey next to Scandella.

No Leaf fan with a clue is trading Nylander or Kadri for anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad