Proposal: Kadri for a blueliner

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah that would create a big hole,on their team...Not only the production but his grit is a need for that team...Cant see them moving him ,Nylander on the other hand would be more likely

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I never said Kapenen+1st for a dman?

I don't think we need one, and if we were to move for one, we could just deal prospects/picks for a guy like Gudas.
Leafs have the worst right side D in the league and it cost them a series against Boston. Leafs desperately need an upgrade.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Kadri's days of 30+ goals are over. His reduced ice time will see to that.

If he was smart he should ask for a trade to a team were he can be a top 6 player. He's going to lose a lot of money playing behind Matthews and Tavares.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
He isn't. You need to let that one go.
Pretty much every oldschool and new school metric for the last two seasons have him among the top 31 centres, so yes he is. Not that Montreal would know anything about quality up the middle though.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Kadri's days of 30+ goals are over. His reduced ice time will see to that.

If he was smart he should ask for a trade to a team were he can be a top 6 player. He's going to lose a lot of money playing behind Matthews and Tavares.
What diminished ice time? Babcock is going to roll the three top lines pretty equally and all three C’s play special teams together.
No reason whatsoever to think Kadri will have a reduced role, if anything this makes our fourth line less important with Tavares taking Bozaks 5v5 minutes

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Put up a poll and watch Kadri get crushed.

Comparing Kadri that took 7 seasons to break out to Nylander is beyond silly.

I’m curious on your stance, just want to ensure I understand it.

Who is more critical to the Leafs success this regular & post season? Kadri or Nylander?

Who is more critical to the Leafs success over the next three regular & post seasons? Kadri or Nylander?

Who has more trade value today? Kadri or Nylander?

What is the Leafs biggest need, to improve their chances of winning the cup, right now and after hypothetically if Kadri was traded?

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I’m curious on your stance, just want to ensure I understand it.

Who is more critical to the Leafs success this regular & post season? Kadri or Nylander?

Who is more critical to the Leafs success over the next three regular & post seasons? Kadri or Nylander? I'll use the example of Kadri for Manson, fair in my view (Ducks fans will tell me otherwise and Leafs fans will tell me otherwise for the opposite reason so a wash) whereas Nylander for Manson would be Dubas being bent over, that said, Nylander couldn't land Lindholm.

Who has more trade value today? Kadri or Nylander?

What is the Leafs biggest need, to improve their chances of winning the cup, right now and after hypothetically if Kadri was traded?
Leafs window is bigger than three years, you always play for the big picture. Nylander's ceiling is likely to emerge in those three years anyway which should eclipse Kadri.

Nylander has more value. The issue is I'd rather underpay on a good defenseman with Kadri than overpay with Nylander.

Leafs has the worst right side D in the league and an abundance of forwards and centers.

It's not complicated.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Leafs window is bigger than three years, you always play for the big picture. Nylander's ceiling is likely to emerge in those three years anyway which should eclipse Kadri.

Nylander has more value. The issue is I'd rather underpay on a good defenseman with Kadri than overpay with Nylander.

Leafs has the worst right side D in the league and an abundance of forwards and centers.

It's not complicated.

We can agree to disagree on always planning for the big picture or long term all the time.....at times it’s absolutely right thing to do is go for it in the short term.....depending on situation. Every year teams trade away good futures in the form of picks, prospects and young players for one push at the cup. To be clear I’m not advocating that in Nylander/Kadri case now, just talking generally.

While I agree Leafs rhd is weakest part of the team......I don’t think it’s as bad as you claim/think. But we can agree to disagree.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We can agree to disagree on always planning for the big picture or long term all the time.....at times it’s absolutely right thing to do is go for it in the short term.....depending on situation. Every year teams trade away good futures in the form of picks, prospects and young players for one push at the cup. To be clear I’m not advocating that in Nylander/Kadri case now, just talking generally.

While I agree Leafs rhd is weakest part of the team......I don’t think it’s as bad as you claim/think. But we can agree to disagree.
One thing that seems pretty obvious is that if the Leafs do move Kadri to fix the rhd spot, they will now have to make an additional move to address the lack of center depth.

Reactions: therealkoho

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Kadri is staying and so is Nylander - no soup for you, haters!

90d.jpg

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018

It seems to me that the sellers are a shrinking market, even buyers like Tampa, lock up their buys like McDonagh and NYR didn't really get much for him because selling is a soft market. Fans on the whole go so far as to ridicule teams that buy like the Tartar Vegas deal.

Zaitsev is awful, Carrick is a 6/7, Hainsey is an ok band aid, Polak was exposed in the playoffs and now gone. There may be AHL teams with a better right side, it's God awful.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
One thing that seems pretty obvious is that if the Leafs do move Kadri to fix the rhd spot, they will now have to make an additional move to address the lack of center depth.

Not sure.....let’s assume Nylander can switch to 3C successfully and/or Babs shelters him some. I think having a winger who can slide over to C for a few games to cover a injury would be fine.....most teams who lose their 1C don’t have a replacement like JT waiting to fill that role. But I will say moving Nylander to 3C, if Kadri was traded.......Leafs RW looks suddenly weak overall......Marner & a bunch of question marks. No matter how we view it, losing valuable players hurt.

Reactions: ACC1224

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
It seems to me that the sellers are a shrinking market, even buyers like Tampa, lock up their buys like McDonagh and NYR didn't really get much for him because selling is a soft market. Fans on the whole go so far as to ridicule teams that buy like the Tartar Vegas deal.

Zaitsev is awful, Carrick is a 6/7, Hainsey is an ok band aid, Polak was exposed in the playoffs and now gone. There may be AHL teams with a better right side, it's God awful.

Yes Hainsey isn’t great, just a band aid....but an acceptable one for now.

Polak sucked......no debate.

Z I think had a bad year no doubt, but I don’t think last year was an accurate picture of Z overall. I think this year he will improve. If I’m a buyer, I’m not buying Z at this point though.

Replacing Polak will help defence. Z hopefully will be better. Hainsey will be better if the bottom two pairings are better bc Babs won’t have to deploy Hainsey for so many mins.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Yes Hainsey isn’t great, just a band aid....but an acceptable one for now.

Polak sucked......no debate.

Z I think had a bad year no doubt, but I don’t think last year was an accurate picture of Z overall. I think this year he will improve. If I’m a buyer, I’m not buying Z at this point though.

Replacing Polak will help defence. Z hopefully will be better. Hainsey will be better if the bottom two pairings are better bc Babs won’t have to deploy Hainsey for so many mins.
Z underlying numbers have always been terrible, Rielly broke out after Z was taken off his pairing, the first defenseman partner who Gardiner couldn't improve by the numbers was Z last season. Gardiner put up 15 points in three weeks after Z got injured. Zaitsev is a black hole for his partner's production and fancy stats.

I don't see a quality NHL let alone good defenseman on the Leafs right side, fortunately the left side is above average.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He would be a #1C on a number of teams including Montreal

If the claim is he's a top 15 center, and Malkin and Crosby play on the same team and Matthews and Tavares play on the same team, that means there are 17 teams he could be the first line center on?

That is a ridiculous claim, and I say that as a big fan of Kadri.

I believe that there are teams that he could go to where he would be slotted in as a first line center and thrive in that roll, but to suggest he could be a #1 center on more than half the teams in the league is laughable.

Reactions: Snowman

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If the claim is he's a top 15 center, and Malkin and Crosby play on the same team and Matthews and Tavares play on the same team, that means there are 17 teams he could be the first line center on?

That is a ridiculous claim, and I say that as a big fan of Kadri.

I believe that there are teams that he could go to where he would be slotted in as a first line center and thrive in that roll, but to suggest he could be a #1 center on more than half the teams in the league is laughable.
I didn't say that but I can name 3 of the top of my head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad