Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Theres a diminishing return on the PP as the first unit gets tired, especially if you have control for a long time and the defense cant change. You also want some PP2 time, just in case the first goes completely cold, the second might start getting hot and you're not left with a completely ineffectual PP.
There should never be a 50-50 split on PP usage, but you do want something like an 80-20, with at least 1-2 pp's where PP2 starts.
Again, that's a you know it when you see it situation. It's obvious. PP2 starts when the players on PP1 just had a long even strength shift. It's not rocket science.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Again, that's a you know it when you see it situation. It's obvious. PP2 starts when the players on PP1 just had a long even strength shift. It's not rocket science.
Correct, but you also use the PP to give kids the occasional confidence boost. Let them get a little extra time and space and get some rips off. You also want the kids ready to move into PP1 in case of injuries etc. So there has to be some balance. You also can't put guys like blackwell/rooney on pp2 as that defeats the F'ing purpose of a pp.
I think gallant will fix alot of these overall issues.

Reactions: CLW

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Correct, but you also use the PP to give kids the occasional confidence boost. Let them get a little extra time and space and get some rips off. You also want the kids ready to move into PP1 in case of injuries etc. So there has to be some balance. You also can't put guys like blackwell/rooney on pp2 as that defeats the F'ing purpose of a pp.
I think gallant will fix alot of these overall issues.
When I was a high major DOBO and we were walking into the most vicious road environments you can imagine, I can promise you that our staff wasn't thinking about giving anyone cookies as a confidence boost. You're playing for keeps and you better have skin in the game if you want to be relied on.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The thing I've come to appreciate about Kakko is that his body has changed so much over the years that he's had to morph his game several times as he's grown and played at different levels. If you watch his earlier world junior highlights, he looks skinny and lanky and he kinda zipped around the ice using aggressiveness and speed. He got a little older, body filled out and his game morphed into something below the circles. In the NHL, he made huge adjustments form year 1 to year 2 in his play style. He needs to keep morphing his game and I think he has the ability to do so which many bigger kids just can't figure out that quickly because they're used to bull-rushing at the lower levels and haven't developed the hockey IQ. But Kakko has that. What he needs is a coach that gives him the right direction because he really seems to take well to coaching. The danger is that he gets bad coaching or someone who really doesn't understand how a kid with his size needs to play to be successful offensively in the league.

From my very novice perspective, he needs to work on four basic things - his first step(s) and explosiveness, his shot (and making quicker decisions to shoot) and his confidence in taking the puck to the net.

This is a great assessment of him.

What impressed me the most watching him at the Worlds and a little earlier that season was his raw confidence with the puck.

Regardless of his skillset he just willed his way around the ice with and without the puck and it was impressive to see.

He was a young man with a ton of confidence and he was just set to GO. As a hockey player there are a lot of ways you can hide your deficiencies by playing loose confident hockey.

There was a big adjustment period for him in year one, for a lot of obvious reasons. Rink size, new country and language, big expectations from the fans but more importantly himself, etc. He is a very driven kid.

He really worked on his defensive game to appease Quinn but also to round his game out. In year two I thought he slowly began showing that raw confidence we saw before the NHL and then we saw flashes of the Kakko the Rangers drafted. Then it later became more of a game to game thing.

There were many games that he was the best Rangers forward. Of course he has some skills to improve upon, but I feel like he is such a special player that his will can take over and mask a lot of it as he grows into his game.

But I also believe he will improve his skating, shot, conditioning and awareness to get the middle of the rink. He is a play driver right now with his work along the walls. It will only get better.

I have zero doubt about Kakko and I think Gallant is the absolute perfect coach for him. Zero doubt he will become a top 6 point producing two way player and he may even reach elite Selke level.

It may take several years for him to peak but this season is really the perfect time for him to start fresh with a new coach to help him find a different perspective.

I think Gallant will recognize this pretty quickly and allow him the time to really get things going and he needs that confidence to shine.

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
They have one of these Hell-stairs in Banff. I remember the Canucks were doing it (or one of the other thousands of hockey teams in that general area).
Not to be a dick, but your definition of “general area” is pretty funny. Vancouver is 850km away from Banff. About the same distance from NYC to Columbus. :DD

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
looking thicc-er

b0fac076157b5caea09085ade871105d.jpg.webp

Kaapo Kakko of the NEW YORK RANGERS is already preparing for his third NHL season.
On Wednesday, Kakko, 20, departed from Turku to Hämeenlinna during the summer training session, where the Lions management had invited most of the Finnish NHL players.
Kakko arrived in Vanajanlinna in a good mood. The summer has gone best.
- I have been able to train intact, and it has worked well, Kakko said.
In addition to training, Kakko has enjoyed the company of his loved ones.
- I have spent as much time with friends and family as I can.
- When the only Finn in the team has been in “Nyki”, sometimes there have been a bit long days and it felt boring.
KAKKO has trained in the summer under Marko Rautala's coaching together with Mikko Rantanen , among others . Kakko has been training in the same group for several summers.
- We've been to the gym a lot. Speed training, little endurance. Same formula as before. Now we start to go more on the ice.
Kakko has sensed that the training has arrived .
- I have only had time to visit the ice a couple of times, but I have immediately felt that I am in better shape again than in recent years. With that, I expect more from myself again next season.

THE RANGERS have been in the grip of change. With the lime lines of last season, the club management was re-established, and this summer the head coach also changed. David Quinn was replaced by Gerard Gallant .
- I look forward to it. A lot of changes have come, even a few new acquisitions. On paper, we have a good looking team.
In his first couple of seasons, Kakko has not been able to show his nails in the role of top chains - except for a few short snippets.
Now, however, a larger plot of land has been built for a Turku resident. Namely , Pavel Butshnevits , who had cooled at the top of the Rangers' top chain last season , was traded to St. Louis this summer, which is thought to have fallen on Kako's la.
- Sounds good and is hoped for. It has been desired in the past. But, of course, there is no hope. You must also be able to give screens. Now that there is a new coaching, a slightly bigger screen space can come through it as well.

Translated horribly from https://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000008173953.html

ilezia

Apr 13, 2010
Yeah the translation is pretty bad. Especially the part where Buchnevich is mentioned. I tried to do a slightly more accurate translation. The way it was formatted sounded odd and the journalist has entered Kakko's quotes slightly weirdly, but then again IS is a tabloid and known for shit journalism. Kakko is hopeful to get a chance to play on the top lines and a chance to prove himself. The quote is not about him being happy or that he had hoped that Buchnevich got traded.

"Now, however, [the opportunity for] a bigger role is opening up for the Turku-native. Pavel Buchnevich who was skating on the top lines last season was traded to St Louis this summer, which is presenting an opportunity for Kakko.

-It sounds good and I had hoped for it [opportunity to play on top lines]. I have hoped for it before too. But of course hoping is not good enough, you also have to show you are worth it. Now with the new coach, it's possible that I get a chance to prove myself."

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I think ”screens” means “looks”, a chance to market/advertise yourself.

The text reads: "You cannot only hope [for an opportunity]. You've got to be able to show your ability".

It's kind of hilarious how the word "show" becomes "screen" in the translation

Last edited:
Reactions: Ola

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
looking thicc-er

b0fac076157b5caea09085ade871105d.jpg.webp

Kaapo Kakko of the NEW YORK RANGERS is already preparing for his third NHL season.
On Wednesday, Kakko, 20, departed from Turku to Hämeenlinna during the summer training session, where the Lions management had invited most of the Finnish NHL players.
Kakko arrived in Vanajanlinna in a good mood. The summer has gone best.
- I have been able to train intact, and it has worked well, Kakko said.
In addition to training, Kakko has enjoyed the company of his loved ones.
- I have spent as much time with friends and family as I can.
- When the only Finn in the team has been in “Nyki”, sometimes there have been a bit long days and it felt boring.
KAKKO has trained in the summer under Marko Rautala's coaching together with Mikko Rantanen , among others . Kakko has been training in the same group for several summers.
- We've been to the gym a lot. Speed training, little endurance. Same formula as before. Now we start to go more on the ice.
Kakko has sensed that the training has arrived .
- I have only had time to visit the ice a couple of times, but I have immediately felt that I am in better shape again than in recent years. With that, I expect more from myself again next season.

THE RANGERS have been in the grip of change. With the lime lines of last season, the club management was re-established, and this summer the head coach also changed. David Quinn was replaced by Gerard Gallant .
- I look forward to it. A lot of changes have come, even a few new acquisitions. On paper, we have a good looking team.
In his first couple of seasons, Kakko has not been able to show his nails in the role of top chains - except for a few short snippets.
Now, however, a larger plot of land has been built for a Turku resident. Namely , Pavel Butshnevits , who had cooled at the top of the Rangers' top chain last season , was traded to St. Louis this summer, which is thought to have fallen on Kako's la.
- Sounds good and is hoped for. It has been desired in the past. But, of course, there is no hope. You must also be able to give screens. Now that there is a new coaching, a slightly bigger screen space can come through it as well.

Translated horribly from https://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000008173953.html

With "show his nails in the role of top chains," this post makes me miss sir avgard hockey professor.

I hope Drury keeps fixing those lime lines.

Is that stubble? Kakko gonna show up at camp with a full beard. Laf too. Kids? What kids?

Last edited:

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
With "show his nails in the role of top chains," this post makes me miss sir avgard hockey professor.

I hope Drury keeps fixing those lime lines.

Is that stubble? Kakko gonna show up at camp with a full beard. Laf too. Kids? What kids?

Kakko is a few years away from a full beard. Gorton will be happy :p

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The Legendary Stairs of Moon Mountain: Part II

pic_5_5377866_k6607403_1200.jpg

That's Mikko Rantanen running the stairs (close) and Kaapo Kakko in the white t-shirt below.

I'll write some cliff notes from the articles below (from July 28th) rather than try a translation which is painful with the Finnish passive voice and vastly different idiomatic landscape:

Cliff notes!:

Word from Marko Rautala's summer training camp is that Kakko had extremely good test results both out in the field and in the gym (running, explosive strength, recuperation, endurance etc). He lead the training group on the HIIT track runs, and was second only to TPS defenseman Aleksi Anttalainen on the Moon Mountain stair runs. Kakko is positively surprised with the progress, since the tight NHL playing schedule gave little time for physical training, but credits last seasons prolonged training schedule (covid break) with the time to lay the foundation. [Comment: He is still only 20 so clearly still growing into his body - now 191 cm, 90 kg]. This is now Kaapo's fifth summer with Rautala's off season group and each summer has seen progress, which feels very rewarding to Kakko.

Then Kakko mentions the ongoing changes in the Rangers organization, new coach, new GM, new players with more on the way most likely. He was pleased with his personal progress last season but disappointed in the team's failure to live up to it's potential and missing the playoffs. He is happy that Lauri Pajuniemi and Tarmo Reunanen are with the Rangers and hope they can join the team. He's known both of them since they were little kids and look forward to having friends from Turku there both on and off the ice.

Behind paywall (free for 1 month):

Kaapo Kakko juoksee keulilla – pitkäksi mennyt edellinen kesä poikii nyt yllättäviä tuloksia

Jääkiekkoilija Mikko Rantanen rakentaa jo kovaa vauhtia ensi kauden pohjia

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I'll just add a section from the Mikko Rantanen article above since I find it relevant to the current Rangers transition phase.

"In the playoffs the Achilles heel for the Avalanche proved to be the defensive end, which could not cope with the physicality of Vegas, Rantanen freely admits.

- We lost the series to physicality. During the regular season you can still win with speed and creativity, but in the playoffs physicality and grit are essential. When you look at the teams that made the final four they are all big, physical and gritty. That's the lesson we need to learn, says Rantanen."

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I'll just add a section from the Mikko Rantanen article above since I find it relevant to the current Rangers transition phase.

"In the playoffs the Achilles heel for the Avalanche proved to be the defensive end, which could not cope with the physicality of Vegas, Rantanen freely admits.

- We lost the series to physicality. During the regular season you can still win with speed and creativity, but in the playoffs physicality and grit are essential. When you look at the teams that made the final four they are all big, physical and gritty. That's the lesson we need to learn, says Rantanen."
We all know this. It still blows my mind that the NHL chooses to arrange the league so that this is the case. It sucks to have to play that game but here we are.

Fortunately for us, both Laf and Kakko have the potential to be those skilled yet gritty types when they fill out.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
We all know this. It still blows my mind that the NHL chooses to arrange the league so that this is the case. It sucks to have to play that game but here we are.

Fortunately for us, both Laf and Kakko have the potential to be those skilled yet gritty types when they fill out.

It's an absurd situation when the refs put away the whistles for the playoffs.

The first serious cheap shot in the game has everybody confused why there isn't a penalty, then the team on the receiving end gets mad and retaliates (no penalty) then the first team gets mad and retaliates in turn, this time it's a pen (or not), but now the game is totally different from the regular season games, everybody are mad, the emotional temperature has risen significantly, and no one (not even the refs) are quite sure where the line goes anymore. And this game management is obviously under direction from the NHL.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Key for Kakko also as he matures will be to learn how to better conserve energy during his shifts and apply his greatest effort during the right situations. Jagr was a king of that.

Obviously his first year here he was gassed only 20 seconds into each shift without much power skating. Last season was a tremendous improvement there, and hopefully committing to offseason fitness becomes an 'addiction' for him, like it does a lot of guys who train hard.

But as his minutes increase and in big game situations, understanding how to play the game smart, not just hard, will be a good step in his development.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Crushing those steps will have him in great shape for the season. That workout is no joke.

Happy to hear he’s improved physically. He has a great work ethic. I think Gallant can help take him to the next level.

I think it’s important for Kakko to be looked at as “the man”, an on ice leader and I think GG will recognize that once he starts to know him.

With what he showed last season and the off-season work he’s put in I think he will take another big step

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Tbf it’s just as correct way to spell his name as ”Buchnevich” is.

It shouldn't be that difficult to stick with what Latin version they use in the KHL for names. But I've always had that issue, even in my own language. When I read an article about the NHL and see them spell Ovechkin "Ovetsjkin", or Kucherov "Koetsjerov" I just roll my eyes :laugh:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Losing their leader in that department didn't help. It'd be like losing Goodrow for us now.

But yes, Regular Season hockey does not equal Playoff Hockey. I don't know why some people have not figure that out yet. You CANNOT build a team around regular season analytics (only) and think that will translate. EDM, TOR and 2018-2019 TBL.

Reactions: NYR

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Losing their leader in that department didn't help. It'd be like losing Goodrow for us now.

But yes, Regular Season hockey does not equal Playoff Hockey. I don't know why some people have not figure that out yet. You CANNOT build a team around regular season analytics (only) and think that will translate. EDM, TOR and 2018-2019 TBL.

Playing Kadri was the second mistake. This one was stupid, they lost a series because they gambled big on a loose cannon and it blew up in their face. You have to have people with cool heads under pressure. Tampa were very impressive in that regard again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad