Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
If anyone remembers his draft, Kaapo’s father was literally a bear of a man. If he continues to get stronger and more explosive while maintaining his ability to be “soft” on his edges - I don’t see how anyone will be able to stop him once he’s fully matured.

Even if he doesn’t become a premier point producer, he has the ability to become a 25-35 player who can pickpocket players in transition and work through tight coverage. That is INSANELY valuable in the playoffs (and the lack of counting stats can keep his AAV lower, but obviously I hope he makes me eat crow;)).

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
With laf drafted the year after and a slow start I think Kakkos upside is getting undrrrated. It’s hard to understate the leap he took year one to year two, and the kid hasn’t even played a full actual season.

I still believe he’s got superstar upside. Power play time will in large part determine the upper limit of raw points but if you look at other kids in his draft year, I think things are pretty much the same story. The only player to really exceed Kakko to this point is Hughes, but a lot of that comes down to opportunity.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Even with his lack of production, what stood out to me about Laf last year is he never really looked out of place at this level. Whereas Kakko very much looked like a rookie in his first year...he looked out of place and overmatched fairly often. But the step he took last year was amazing and I couldn't agree more about his skillset.

Honestly, the more I think about it the less the trade "rumors" make sense to me because he fits the bill of the player this team is searching for...perfect combo of skill, size, and grit combined with a great 200 ft game. Players like that are exactly what makes teams harder to play against.
First half: Laf looked hesitant and because of that slow. He'd often receive the pass along the boards in NZ on a potential rush and he'd only then start to accelerate. That's fine in Juniors but too late in the NHL. He'd get pressed into the boards at the offensive blue line and if lucky, had already dumped it in, if unlucky then a turn over the other way. Second half of the season he was reading the play better and had a plan before the puck got to him skating full speed with anticipation.

Reactions: brakeyawself

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
saw this and thought I'd share;

veTsiC6.png

beefy menacing grin
Getting pretty thick, maybe too thick?.. but could be that he'll cut some weight before the camp.

He's been training under the track&field and strenght coach Marko Rautala again. There has been some discussions that Rautala's training methods havent been good for hockey players' skating speed in the past, but in the other hand, Mikko Rantanen who trains with him every years has kept finding new peaks every year.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Getting pretty thick, maybe too thick?.. but could be that he'll cut some weight before the camp.

He's been training under the track&field and strenght coach Marko Rautala again. There has been some discussions that Rautala's training methods havent been good for hockey players' skating speed in the past, but in the other hand, Mikko Rantanen who trains with him every years has kept finding new peaks every year.
They have been excellent in providing Rantanen with some strength. But for issues like skating, the only way to fix it is by hiring a skating coach and actually practising it. That's what Rantanen did. And hopefully Kakko too.

Skating is above all, about technique. Guys like Rantanen and Kakko, who were good skaters at a younger age, might have a harder time adapting to their bigger bodies. Sasha Barkov dealt with the same issue, and hired a coach for one summer.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

I'd hope for Kakko to have Rantanen type of progression. Age 20 season 20 goals 40pts... Then lift off at age 21. Would work out in our favor if we extend him long term..

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
They have been excellent in providing Rantanen with some strength. But for issues like skating, the only way to fix it is by hiring a skating coach and actually practising it. That's what Rantanen did. And hopefully Kakko too.

Skating is above all, about technique. Guys like Rantanen and Kakko, who were good skaters at a younger age, might have a harder time adapting to their bigger bodies. Sasha Barkov dealt with the same issue, and hired a coach for one summer.
What people have talked about is Saku Koivu's speed taking a big hit back in the day. I really dont have any facts on the subject but Kakko gaining so much wideness just reminded me of it

Reactions: LOFIN

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
They did add a definition to the dictionary of "literally" which is the exact opposite of what literally means.

So now "literally" literally means literally and not at all literally.

They should just have like an appendix to the dictionary with 'special' words and definitions, where they can put stuff like this, and 'irregardless' and whatnot.

It literally boils my blood.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
What people have talked about is Saku Koivu's speed taking a big hit back in the day. I really dont have any facts on the subject but Kakko gaining so much wideness just reminded me of it

Saku blew his knee out, wasn't that the main problem? He was an amazing skater before that.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Tampa is consistently one of the most penalized teams on the league

They're not impressive under pressure as much as they're excellent at killing off penalties (Goodrow, and Coleman were their top 2 pkers iirc)

Threepetes are usually impossible to begin with. But I really am curious to see how losing Goodrow, Coleman and whomever else will effect them next season. They lost Gourde in expansion too. I don’t see how they could replace those guys 1 for 1. It’s almost certain they won’t be as deep or have as good a total roster. Oh, no Tyler Johnson either.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I’d be happy if Kravtsov could reach 0.70 PPG at his peak

I’m sure we all will. That’s the kind of upside that makes me think he won’t be part of any Eichel deal. Not sure what his actual chances of reaching it are. But I think good enough not to move him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad