Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sisu4ever

Jan 6, 2020
Regarding previous posts, I am another one of those Finns here, and I am here to root for Kakko :).
That doesn't mean I think he is the best, or is treated unfairly, or anything like that. I just follow his development through failures and successes, and hope that he will be a worthwhile contributor to the Rangers team!
(Edit: Regarding Rautala, no opinion about him, don't know him well enough)

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Assist last game when he finally gets put back with Bread, wonder if any correlation there? If hes given a chance the points will come
He should be on PP1. Him or Laf. I love Buch but he doesn’t have their skill . He’s a much better 200 ft player but on the PP that doesn’t matter

Reactions: bl02

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I also want to look at Kakko's greatly improved play, in the most negative light possible.

I mean winning board battles is great and all, but if doesn’t really utilize Kakko’s offensive abilities. How many truly great shots has Kakko made this year? Even Laf with his struggles has had several plays where he’s made an incredibly good shot. How many times have we seen Kakko make an incredible pass?

The issue is that Kakko’s great increase in play was coming from one of the worst players in the league last year. He’s made a huge jump, but that’s because he was right near the literal bottom last year.

I’d like to see him make more of an impact on offensive beyond being the guy on the boards.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He should be on PP1. Him or Laf. I love Buch but he doesn’t have their skill . He’s a much better 200 ft player but on the PP that doesn’t matter
Right now, neither Lafreniere nor Kakko have showed that they should be on PP1 ahead of Buchnevich. First of all, it is Lafreniere's off side. Second, Kakko has been doing well. Not well enough to where him replacing Buchnevich is warranted.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Right now, neither Lafreniere nor Kakko have showed that they should be on PP1 ahead of Buchnevich. First of all, it is Lafreniere's off side. Second, Kakko has been doing well. Not well enough to where him replacing Buchnevich is warranted.
Yea, Buchnevich has been incredible this year and will almost surely be re-signed after the way he's evolved. Buchnevich does not belong off PP1 for those two kids yet.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
As much as the common narrative of Quinn ruining him (which I have been on many times), I think Kakko has started to play well defensively (or at least ok), which just was not a thing for him before the draft and during most of the last season.

He had a decent game. Didn't stood up but pretty much none of Rangers did. Well, maybe Miller and Shestyorkin.

Reactions: IDvsEGO

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
As much as the common narrative of Quinn ruining him (which I have been on many times), I think Kakko has started to play well defensively (or at least ok), which just was not a thing for him before the draft and during most of the last season.

He had a decent game. Didn't stood up but pretty much none of Rangers did. Well, maybe Miller and Shestyorkin.
He had some solid defensive plays, he had a great shot that should’ve been a goal. He’s putting himself in the right position and he’s not really making mistakes.
at this point you can see all the potential and the points will come. Last season he was struggling with the pace, here he’s often ahead of the play.

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
What do they need to do to prove they should be on the PP? Are we trying to score on the PP and win games or are we just saying f*** it, they are too young so they get no PP time?

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
What do they need to do to prove they should be on the PP? Are we trying to score on the PP and win games or are we just saying f*** it, they are too young so they get no PP time?
Id say out playing buch who’s our best forward behind panarin right now would be a good start.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Kakko was actually a guest on Finnish hockey podcast last week (released yesterday). A quick summary or something like that:

- He has moved to his own apartment, near the training facility and he's living in a complex with other players there as well. He mentioned the Czechs so Chytil and Hajek?
- He had a false test which resulted in him going to protocol. After a couple negative tests, he was back on.
- Says he mostly spends his time with the Czech guys (Chytil and Hajek) and also Georgijev
- Russian is almost the 2nd language in the locker room. Panarin doesn't really speak English that much but can throw out some funny stuff every now and then.
- Actually said he has spoken Finnish with Mika on couple of occasions, but mainly English obviously.
- Lafreniere is a nice guy, not really outspoken in the locker room but that's to be expected from young guys (like he himself is still). Thinks he will be fine.
- Quinn likes to converse with players, and there are a lot of meetings so he really likes to discuss tactics outside the ice as well
- They asked him about the DeAngelo affair. And it was clear they have made it clear to everyone to keep their mouth shut. Kakko was basically: "Yeah I think there was some altercation, might have been caught on the TV but I dont really know much about it. Now it's in the past and we must look forward".
- Says he does keep on contact with other Finnish hockey players. More with some, less with some others
- Asked about "are you afraid of playing against a guy like Ryan Reaves" not scared, but maybe keeping your head up extra more
- He thinks enforcers still have some deterrent. "if you hit someone from the back, might not want to do it if there's a guy like Reaves".
- Couldn't decide between McDavid and MacKinnon when asked which one is better
- "Would you rather score an ugly goal for a packed arena or a highlight-reel goal for an empty arena?" "Assuming it's regular season and not like a playoffs, the highlight-reel goal. Lot's of people still watching it on telly".

Missed lots of stuff, just wrote down some quick ones.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well for starters, in order to be on PP1 Lafreniere needs to be better than Panarin and Kakko needs to be better than Buchnevich. So there's that.

And I am not really sure if you have been paying attention as to who has been out there on PP2.

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
Well for starters, in order to be on PP1 Lafreniere needs to be better than Panarin and Kakko needs to be better than Buchnevich. So there's that.

And I am not really sure if you have been paying attention as to who has been out there on PP2.
It's a PP and the whole point of a PP is to score goals right? Why not give our young guys lots of PP time to get them going and let them show off their offense? Were losing anyway right so who cares?

Reactions: Larrybiv

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Kakko was actually a guest on Finnish hockey podcast last week (released yesterday). A quick summary or something like that:

- He has moved to his own apartment, near the training facility and he's living in a complex with other players there as well. He mentioned the Czechs so Chytil and Hajek?
- He had a false test which resulted in him going to protocol. After a couple negative tests, he was back on.
- Says he mostly spends his time with the Czech guys (Chytil and Hajek) and also Georgijev
- Russian is almost the 2nd language in the locker room. Panarin doesn't really speak English that much but can throw out some funny stuff every now and then.
- Actually said he has spoken Finnish with Mika on couple of occasions, but mainly English obviously.
- Lafreniere is a nice guy, not really outspoken in the locker room but that's to be expected from young guys (like he himself is still). Thinks he will be fine.
- Quinn likes to converse with players, and there are a lot of meetings so he really likes to discuss tactics outside the ice as well
- They asked him about the DeAngelo affair. And it was clear they have made it clear to everyone to keep their mouth shut. Kakko was basically: "Yeah I think there was some altercation, might have been caught on the TV but I dont really know much about it. Now it's in the past and we must look forward".
- Says he does keep on contact with other Finnish hockey players. More with some, less with some others
- Asked about "are you afraid of playing against a guy like Ryan Reaves" not scared, but maybe keeping your head up extra more
- He thinks enforcers still have some deterrent. "if you hit someone from the back, might not want to do it if there's a guy like Reaves".
- Couldn't decide between McDavid and MacKinnon when asked which one is better
- "Would you rather score an ugly goal for a packed arena or a highlight-reel goal for an empty arena?" "Assuming it's regular season and not like a playoffs, the highlight-reel goal. Lot's of people still watching it on telly".

Missed lots of stuff, just wrote down some quick ones.

seems like a funny guy with some personality

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's a PP and the whole point of a PP is to score goals right? Why not give our young guys lots of PP time to get them going and let them show off their offense? Were losing anyway right so who cares?
Because there is no coach in the NHL who is going to hand Lafreniere PP1 time ahead of Panarin. And since the next time that Kakko will show that he deserves it more than Buchnevich will be the first time, I doubt that is happening either.

The goal is to develop, build and.........win. And handing a pair of 19 year olds undeserved spots on the top PP unit is not the way to get there. There is and should be a concept of "earning" your time.

And they are not loosing so much that the last playoff spot is not a possibility.

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
Because there is no coach in the NHL who is going to hand Lafreniere PP1 time ahead of Panarin. And since the next time that Kakko will show that he deserves it more than Buchnevich will be the first time, I doubt that is happening either.

The goal is to develop, build and.........win. And handing a pair of 19 year olds undeserved spots on the top PP unit is not the way to get there. There is and should be a concept of "earning" your time.

And they are not loosing so much that the last playoff spot is not a possibility.
You think the playoffs actually matter for this team? I want to see our young guys succeed and get comfortable with our skilled players and maybe actually use their own skill. I know being skilled is against the rules in this organization but i just want to see our top 2 offensive prospects do something offensively to show how good they can be one day. Is that too much to ask for?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
You think the playoffs actually matter for this team? I want to see our young guys succeed and get comfortable with our skilled players and maybe actually use their own skill. I know being skilled is against the rules in this organization but i just want to see our top 2 offensive prospects do something offensively to show how good they can be one day. Is that too much to ask for?

Putting them on the PP is not going to magically fix what's wrong with Laf. He's not playing fast enough to keep up with the guys on PP1. What skills has he shown that merits moving him up and taking someone off? Who you taking off PP1 to accommodate a kid riding the struggle bus, Buch, Kreider, Panarin, or Zib?

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY

playoffs might not matter to u, but they matter a whole lot to everyone within the organization now. Players play hard to make playoffs, coaches try their hardest to make the playoffs. Nobody says, screw it and mails it in.

Playoffs are the next step in this teams development. Especially after ending the year so well last year. And in making a run, you young talent should be developing and picking up valuable lessons on their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad