Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Laf started showing his talent towards the end of the season last year, so I expect him to take the leap forward we all expect him to make next year.

Kakko is a whole other story. I’m very intrigued to see his development next year. There’s a set of tools there that makes him unique, and I’m eager to see what Gallant does with him.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Playing Kadri was the second mistake. This one was stupid, they lost a series because they gambled big on a loose cannon and it blew up in their face. You have to have people with cool heads under pressure. Tampa were very impressive in that regard again.
Tampa is consistently one of the most penalized teams on the league

They're not impressive under pressure as much as they're excellent at killing off penalties (Goodrow, and Coleman were their top 2 pkers iirc)

Reactions: brakeyawself

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Laf started showing his talent towards the end of the season last year, so I expect him to take the leap forward we all expect him to make next year.

Kakko is a whole other story. I’m very intrigued to see his development next year. There’s a set of tools there that makes him unique, and I’m eager to see what Gallant does with him.
Even with his lack of production, what stood out to me about Laf last year is he never really looked out of place at this level. Whereas Kakko very much looked like a rookie in his first year...he looked out of place and overmatched fairly often. But the step he took last year was amazing and I couldn't agree more about his skillset.

Honestly, the more I think about it the less the trade "rumors" make sense to me because he fits the bill of the player this team is searching for...perfect combo of skill, size, and grit combined with a great 200 ft game. Players like that are exactly what makes teams harder to play against.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
saw this and thought I'd share;

veTsiC6.png

beefy menacing grin

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Even with his lack of production, what stood out to me about Laf last year is he never really looked out of place at this level. Whereas Kakko very much looked like a rookie in his first year...he looked out of place and overmatched fairly often. But the step he took last year was amazing and I couldn't agree more about his skillset.

Honestly, the more I think about it the less the trade "rumors" make sense to me because he fits the bill of the player this team is searching for...perfect combo of skill, size, and grit combined with a great 200 ft game. Players like that are exactly what makes teams harder to play against.

I'm sure when your game is predicated on physically dominating your opponent and you just aren't there yet physically it intimidated him and he didn't know how to adjust. Last year you can tell he took a step physically to match his game and his confidence grew with that.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
He looks like Steve Rogers on the left and Captain America on the right!
You can certainly see he’s bigger in the neck and shoulders, unless it’s trick photography lol.
I think it’s a matter of time before the offense comes. Last season overall he was more comfortable with the nhl pace, and didn’t look as slow or Indecisive.
Not getting benched when he’s trying to generate offense is going to do a lot for his morale/confidence. Hope Gallant uses him heavy

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
He posted a recent photo of himself in Finland on instagram (circa early July - sorry, not sure how to imbed) and he still looks pretty lanky. It's been a month since then but I wouldn't hold out hope for him being some sort of physical specimen this season. Most likely will take him another year or two to get there

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
We all are still hopeful for KK but if he fails to break 40 points in his 3rd year will we see declining trade value? I hope that is not even a question. While I have some fears nobody from that draft is lighting up the scoreboard yet and he is still 20.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
I think kakko is gonna take some more time to marinate before he reaches his full potential.

I think hes gonna get bigger and stronger and be a bull with the puck and a great defensive player.

He's gonna be the kind of player that dominates down low and owns around the crease. Hes gonna be the kind of player that has 25-30 goals and fans are still gonna question how he does it.

Not goin to be the fanciest of goal scorers, but is gonna be one of the most dependable players both ends, and will drive the other team nuts with his command of the puck

We will see, but I would bet on it

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
We all are still hopeful for KK but if he fails to break 40 points in his 3rd year will we see declining trade value? I hope that is not even a question. While I have some fears nobody from that draft is lighting up the scoreboard yet and he is still 20.

Kakko improved by leaps and bounds defensively in his second year. He also improved offensively, though the increase wasn't as dramatic.

As a rookie, he had 10 EVP in 66 games, averaging 12:02 per game. He had 13 points on the PP, playing 2:14 per game.
Last year, he had 14 EVP in 48 games, averaging 13:02 per game. He had 3 points on the PP, playing 1:19 per game.

Next year, he should get more time in the top 6 and more time on the PP. Add the increased opportunities to his natural progression, and he could be looking at a breakout season. 40 points doesn't really feel like a stretch if he plays close to 82 games.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think kakko is gonna take some more time to marinate before he reaches his full potential.

I think hes gonna get bigger and stronger and be a bull with the puck and a great defensive player.

He's gonna be the kind of player that dominates down low and owns around the crease. Hes gonna be the kind of player that has 25-30 goals and fans are still gonna question how he does it.

Not goin to be the fanciest of goal scorers, but is gonna be one of the most dependable players both ends, and will drive the other team nuts with his command of the puck

We will see, but I would bet on it

I agree and I wouldn’t be surprised if he slowly develops in the goal scoring department.

Overall and on both sides of the puck he will be a beast and a very valuable player within in a winning system

Reactions: Jim Ramsay

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I’ve also felt from the start that Kakko is the key to the Rangers Cup chances.

Not only will he be relied upon more and more as he gets older but I also feel with his increased value to the club defensively albeit with maybe a slower progression offensively, his value will be skewed in a way that helps the Rangers navigate the cap going into his bridge deal

Reactions: Matz03

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Kakko improved by leaps and bounds defensively in his second year. He also improved offensively, though the increase wasn't as dramatic.

As a rookie, he had 10 EVP in 66 games, averaging 12:02 per game. He had 13 points on the PP, playing 2:14 per game.
Last year, he had 14 EVP in 48 games, averaging 13:02 per game. He had 3 points on the PP, playing 1:19 per game.

Next year, he should get more time in the top 6 and more time on the PP. Add the increased opportunities to his natural progression, and he could be looking at a breakout season. 40 points doesn't really feel like a stretch if he plays close to 82 games.
I hope he does the 40 and more because his lack of production at times can shake my confidence. I'm just glad nobody else from that draft is producing any points either.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He’s going to break 40 points.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Amazed by the complete player he’s turning into. Even if he doesn’t become a prolific scorer he can have high impact.

Just not sure KK will ever be a 70-PPG guy.

I do think Kravtsov might end up being the better offensive player. Think he could rach 70-PPG at his peak.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Amazed by the complete player he’s turning into. Even if he doesn’t become a prolific scorer he can have high impact.

Just not sure KK will ever be a 70-PPG guy.

I do think Kravtsov might end up being the better offensive player. Think he could rach 70-PPG at his peak.

I’d be happy if Kravtsov could reach 0.70 PPG at his peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad