JVR-Bozak-Marner or JVR-Bozak-Brown ?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
JVR is a NJ born boy.

Leafs should have sent him home along with the Devils last night, and they could have left Damon Severson a RHD behind as compensation in trade.

Both players have similar cap hits to boot.

That is the kind of move I'm hoping Lou Lam can pull off.

I don't think Severson was ever available, certainly not for a guy like JvR who isn't fairly one dimensional, much more so than Kessel ever was.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
JVR is a NJ born boy.

Leafs should have sent him home along with the Devils last night, and they could have left Damon Severson a RHD behind as compensation in trade.

Both players have similar cap hits to boot.

That is the kind of move I'm hoping Lou Lam can pull off.
I will take a 1st (if possible) and a good prospect.
SJ has started the season off 0-2. Only scored 4 goals. Their coach is in line for the first fired this season (according to TSN). It would be ironic if we signed Marleau to trade the Sharks JVR for a good deal.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs worst line defensively.

JVR (-4) -- Bozak (-3) -- Marner (team worst -5) on the season plus/minus.

Whenever they go out on the ice 5v5 ES the other team drools in excitement at the thought of facing them and padding their offensive stats, while Leafs are digging pucks out of their own net.

Babcock is not going to be able to keep this trio together much longer if they don't start turning things around defensively.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
JVR - Kadri - Brown
Marleau - Bozak - Marner
Martin - Moore - Komarov

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Whenever they go out on the ice 5v5 ES the other team drools in excitement at the thought of facing them and padding their offensive stats, while Leafs are digging pucks out of their own net.

Babcock is not going to be able to keep this trio together much longer if they don't start turning things around defensively.

I agree - they need to step up

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I don't know why they don't switch JVR and Marleau for a game or two.
This is the only line JVR fits on. He can’t play with Matthews and Nylander because he’s basically the complete opposite of Hyman, I don’t think JVR would ever go into a corner to retrieve a puck. He can’t play with Kadri because Kadri’s line is the shutdown line. You kinda need to play defence to play a shutdown role. Can’t put him on the fourth line because he’ll waste away only getting 7 mins a night, plus that means Martin would get even more ice time. The sheltered role on the second line is the only one that works for him.

That line does need to be split up though. When Chicago had Kane and Panarin, Q sheltered them a ton, and for good reason, but the key to that line working was having Anisimov at C. Having a defensively responsible center that can take some of the defensive pressure off of the two scoring wingers. Having a defensively irresponsible C in Bozak is just a reciepe for disaster

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
This is the only line JVR fits on. He can’t play with Matthews and Nylander because he’s basically the complete opposite of Hyman, I don’t think JVR would ever go into a corner to retrieve a puck. He can’t play with Kadri because Kadri’s line is the shutdown line. You kinda need to play defence to play a shutdown role. Can’t put him on the fourth line because he’ll waste away only getting 7 mins a night, plus that means Martin would get even more ice time. The sheltered role on the second line is the only one that works for him.

That line does need to be split up though. When Chicago had Kane and Panarin, Q sheltered them a ton, and for good reason, but the key to that line working was having Anisimov at C. Having a defensively responsible center that can take some of the defensive pressure off of the two scoring wingers. Having a defensively irresponsible C in Bozak is just a reciepe for disaster

JVR is so bad at defense that be can't play on line with Kadri and Komarov, that should be telling on where the problems really lie. Heck swap Kadri and Bozak for a few games let's see how great Kadri looks defensively with JVR and Marner.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010

Holy Hyperbole. On the PP Marner's line has probably been the most dangerous line but 5 on 5 I agree it's time to make a change. Lets not get carried away though. They weren't the only reason we lost last game.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marner needs a demotion to the 4th line and brown needs to step up.
At the very least switch throughout the game depending on how things are going. I have no issues with Brown/Marner swapping if we are in trouble or protecting the lead. On the nights the line is going, not getting trapped or turning the puck over, it can stay.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I'm not crazy about having both Bozak and JVR on the same line. If we can break up that duo and put only one of them with Marner and swap in somebody else, maybe they could start being a net plus more often.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'm not crazy about having both Bozak and JVR on the same line. If we can break up that duo and put only one of them with Marner and swap in somebody else, maybe they could start being a net plus more often.
Unfortunately we can't, or won't.
JVR isn't going to line up on the Matthews/Kadri line. Brown will move up long before.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
At the very least switch throughout the game depending on how things are going. I have no issues with Brown/Marner swapping if we are in trouble or protecting the lead. On the nights the line is going, not getting trapped or turning the puck over, it can stay.

I was thinking more as a punishment like what Bab's did last year.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I was thinking more as a punishment like what Bab's did last year.
Whatever you want to call it. If I'm a player getting dropped to the 4th line in moments of trust, maintaining leads, I should be smart enough to know what it is without it being said. And I should know what I'm working on total game wise to gain the ice in those moments.

Reactions: BVG

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
the line has been brutal because babcock and the coaching staff are demanding marner shoot more and change his playmaking into more shooting. The line only worked last year because marner was a playmaking machine.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know why they don't switch JVR and Marleau for a game or two.

Marleau should be there to help improve how that line defends. JVR doesnt fit on any other line. I hope JVR is moved. He is given a free pass when it comes to holding players accountable for not competing hard. U show any will power in the corner and JVR too many times quits.

Trading him and moving Marleau there improves that line defensively and its compete level. Brown can slot with again with Kadri. Play Leivo on the 4th line although, he is somewhat miscast there. He was great with Kadri. Soshnikov suits the 4th line more than Kapanen or Leivo.

Seems like JVR and one of the prospects above could be moved out to replace Carrick and bump Hainsey down.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Break the line up, or at least get Marner off of it. I understand it's a sheltered/good 3rd line that is a threat offensively, and Babcock loves that. But come on, it's such a weak part of this lineup...

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Martin - Moore - Komarov
Kadri and Marner on the same line is a recipe for disaster unless Babcock can convince Kadri that he is NOT the only skilled player on that line. Otherwise, what's the point? He won't use Marner; he'll ignore him like he does basically all of his linemates, and then we'll be wondering why Marner's point totals are dropping...

Reality is they have to do something with JVR.

Reactions: The Apologist

RLF

May 5, 2014
None of these 3 are good defensively, I think most would agree. But we should also remember we are only 4 games in and because of all the penalties, we are 30-40% of the game on PP or PK. There is almost zero 5 on 5 flow to any games so far. I am hoping as the players start to get what is being called and penalties dies down, we will get some 5 on 5 flow to get an idea what (line moves, roster moves) are necessary. This line can score, we know they struggle defensively, but is it really as bad as it has seemed so far or is it part of just how the games in general are going. Hard to tell when no one can get into the regular flow of a game. Offence is on these guys minds with all the PP and I am sure is part of a determining factor of why all our offensive players are playing like it's a track meet. The whole team isn't playing well defensively, when that happens, I am sure this line will even look worse.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You mean combine on a game tying goal that led to an OT victory and 2 points instead of 0 against the Hawks?

That kind of step up?

I suspect he's referring to the fact that this line consists of the 3 players with the worst +- ratings of all Leaf forwards despite their sheltered role.

Scoring goals is a positive thing but if you allow more goals than you score, how much does that help the team? Think about it. :)

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I suspect he's referring to the fact that this line consists of the 3 players with the worst +- ratings of all Leaf forwards despite their sheltered role.

Scoring goals is a positive thing but if you allow more goals than you score, how much does that help the team? Think about it. :)
The negative net effect is lost on some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad