Player Discussion Juuso Valimaki

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
His play has regressed considerably since sutter has arrived. I’m not saying it’s entirely his fault for valiamki’s fall, but there is clearly no future for him here.
Juuso's play has regressed due to his injuries. He is notably slower and now has a confidence issue.

Sutter, quite rightly, has evaluated this and decided the best way out is for Juuso to play more minutes. Something he wouldn't get here.

Unfortunately for Juuso he needs to earn those minutes on the farm. Last year he didn't.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Juuso’s issues aren’t on Sutter. Those who watched him last year know he had a subpar year on the Heat. That has nothing to do with Sutter. I just don’t know if his issues are mental or physical, but it’s really sad to say the least. I thought he would have been a #2 at worst.

Reactions: Mitts and flames23

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Juuso's play has regressed due to his injuries. He is notably slower and now has a confidence issue.

Sutter, quite rightly, has evaluated this and decided the best way out is for Juuso to play more minutes. Something he wouldn't get here.

Unfortunately for Juuso he needs to earn those minutes on the farm. Last year he didn't.

And yet he played nhl minutes in 2020-21, was largely serviceable (very good advanced stats), and even had 8 pts in his first 24 games. What explains the regression since then? You’re saying it’s partially confidence, and I agree. Because I can’t see what else it is, and I’m arguing sutter played a role in wrecking that. There wasn’t any other variable that really changed (unless he has some serious mental health issue, but we wouldn’t be privy to that).

Juuso’s issues aren’t on Sutter. Those who watched him last year know he had a subpar year on the Heat. That has nothing to do with Sutter. I just don’t know if his issues are mental or physical, but it’s really sad to say the least. I thought he would have been a #2 at worst.

And yet he had a decent year in the nhl before. Though I agree, his head in the ahl last year was not good. TheScorpion on cp had made sure to note this.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

It's just easier for some to make Sutter the scapegoat for why some of our younger players haven't succeeded instead of realizing some of them aren't ready yet, better than who they need to replace and just aren't that good.

Reactions: Mitts and Nanuuk

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It's just easier for some to make Sutter the scapegoat for why some of our younger players haven't succeeded instead of realizing some of them aren't ready yet, better than who they need to replace and just aren't that good.

There’s a difference between making someone a scapegoat and saying it’s been a factor. Nothing here has to be black white, but in the case of valiamki it’s hard to explain such signifant regression especially since he hasn’t had a significant injury since 2019. In that case, how does a player go from top 6 nhl dman to barely serviceable top 4 ahl one. Screams that his confidence was wrecked, and even if it wasn’t sutter it’s something else that won’t be rectified while he’s with the organization.

It’s also hard not to look at sutter when he’s saying in pressers there are some guys in the ahl better than players who are up right now, and yet seeing players here stick around. Doesn’t help whatsoever.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
There’s a difference between making someone a scapegoat and saying it’s been a factor. Nothing here has to be black white, but in the case of valiamki it’s hard to explain such signifant regression especially since he hasn’t had a significant injury since 2019. In that case, how does a player go from top 6 nhl dman to barely serviceable top 4 ahl one. Screams that his confidence was wrecked, and even if it wasn’t sutter it’s something else that won’t be rectified while he’s with the organization.

It’s also hard not to look at sutter when he’s saying in pressers there are some guys in the ahl better than players who are up right now, and yet seeing players here stick around. Doesn’t help whatsoever.
Well if Sutter is the villain here with regards to Valumaki's confidence he'll get plenty of Love in the AHL.
This year is Valimaki's last chance with the Flames organization.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Well if Sutter is the villain here with regards to Valumaki's confidence he'll get plenty of Love in the AHL.
This year is Valimaki's last chance with the Flames organization.

I think he’s played a role. Regardless, I don’t see any hope of further progression here. If he’s going to have any shot at getting better, he needs to go somewhere else. Just like Sam Bennett, and maybe it works or maybe he ends up in Europe.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Claimed by Arizona. Thanks for the memories Juuso and good luck
Probably for the best and I can't say it won't be nice having that extra $1.55M in cap space when its TDL time and they're looking for an impact top 6 fwd.

Reactions: 1989

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Of course every player has different circumstances but its a view I've seen many have lately regarding why some of the prospects including Valimaki haven't been able to crack the lineup full time.

Valimaki just hasn't been able to re-establish himself in the NHL after his injury troubles. Some of that could be confidence but I don't attribute it completely to Sutter. After a few stints Valimaki probably felt like he was going to be playing in Calgary full time and when that wasn't the case he wasn't able to out perform the other players who were fighting for the same roster spot. He's going to have to overcome that in order to be in the league full time.

Contracts and cap space are big factors in deciding the opening day roster but wherever they start the season doesn't have to be where they finish the season. We all saw this last year with Kylington after similar worries.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It was obvious he wasn't going to be better than Andersson, Hanifin, Weegar, and Tanev. There really was no future for him here except as #5/6 dman at best.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I didn’t realize he was 24 already. The marginal cap savings is nice for the Flames and this might be a best case scenario for Jusso, if he stayed in the org his opportunities were looking a bit thin.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Gutted this is how his tenure ends here. Thought he was going to be a bonafide top 4 and likely top pair guy. Best of luck to Juice.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if we get him back when the Yotes inevitably realize he should be in the AHL.
A number of the team's dmen belong in the AHL... but I'm sure they're happy where they are as they make that big push this year for that elusive #1 draft pick.

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
Best of luck to Valimaki, had high hopes for him when he was first drafted.

Flames have now cut ties from all the 1st round players they've drafted from 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017... this hurts a bit oof

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Best of luck to Valimaki, had high hopes for him when he was first drafted.

Flames have now cut ties from all the 1st round players they've drafted from 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017... this hurts a bit oof
Just goes to show that a first round pick isn't all that HF cracks it up to be. Or the Flames for the longest time sucked when it came to drafting players. Pick your poison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad