Player Discussion Juuso Valimaki

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Can you expand on this a little bit.
Feels kind of self explanatory but Treliving really really really really really really likes Valimaki. That's it.

If you want hard evidence there probably isn't any. If you're okay with circumstantial then there's lots. Listen to how Treliving spoke about Valimaki previously. Basically praised him to the moon and back. Look at the contract he give him (1.55M x 2yrs one way for 73 GP, 3G, 11A, 14P) vs the one he gave Kylington (0.75M x 1y two way for 95 GP, 5G, 11A, 16P).

Anyway, I'm hoping Valimaki asks for a trade out this summer ala Baertschi. Because that's the only way Treliving won't automatically pencil him in onto the starting roster.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Valimaki should be traded for picks.
Feels kind of self explanatory but Treliving really really really really really really likes Valimaki. That's it.

If you want hard evidence there probably isn't any. If you're okay with circumstantial then there's lots. Listen to how Treliving spoke about Valimaki previously. Basically praised him to the moon and back. Look at the contract he give him (1.55M x 2yrs one way for 73 GP, 3G, 11A, 14P) vs the one he gave Kylington (0.75M x 1y two way for 95 GP, 5G, 11A, 16P).

Anyway, I'm hoping Valimaki asks for a trade out this summer ala Baertschi. Because that's the only way Treliving won't automatically pencil him in onto the starting roster.
Treliving likes Hamonic……so there is that.

I think if Valimaki is traded, it’s for a similar about to be a bust prospect….every team has a Valimaki, I doubt we get more than a mid round pick for him if we want picks

Reactions: brakeyawself

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

I think if Valimaki is traded, it’s for a similar about to be a bust prospect….every team has a Valimaki, I doubt we get more than a mid round pick for him if we want picks
Assuming he's worth a 2nd or 3rd, perhaps use him as a sweetener to move Monahan or Lucic's contract.

E.g. Valimaki + Monahan to the Senators or Coyotes for whatever

Reactions: brakeyawself

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

If we want more Kylington type player and speed, maybe Brannstrom from Ottawa might be an interesting swap?

I think Brannstrom protected to be a Brodie lite type player. Valimaki was a Gio/Ekholm type player or something IIRC?

Kapteeni

Jul 12, 2021
Helsinki, Finland
I love Vali (I'm really biased), but if we were to move him, maybe it should be for someone who also needs a change of scenery?
Maybe Vali+2nd rounder for Kravstov?

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
After what I've seen from him this season, he definitely seems like a 'has all the tools, but no toolbox' kind of player. which sucks cuz he was such an intriguing prospect, but I think he tops out, max as a low end #4, more likely a #5

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He thinks the game really well. He needs to get stronger and improve his skating so he can hold the bluelines. Until than he won’t play in a Sutter system.

I think he might do better on a team where he can just play and figure out the game. But he could recover us some needed picks. Or he could be paired with Lucic to Arizona or something like that too.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Habs fan here.

I think we claim him. We have Matheson, Guhle (rookie) and another rookie for the 3rd pair and none of our rookies are ready. (Harris, Xhekaj).

Edmundson is injured for weeks.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Good. Would be great if someone claimed him. Would free up some needed cap space. Doubt it happens though.

He also desperately needs a fresh start if he wants to salvage his career. Playing on a roster with zero expectations could help him turn things around.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Even if Valimaki becomes a top 4 somewhere, he did absolutely nothing to take a spot here. Kylington took it and ran with it, and it made it very difficult for him to break through, and the full year I jury really set him back and was awful luck. But we didn't do anything wrong with Valimaki. They way he's played he's done nothing to earn a chance.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sad to see it happen. However, that's not saying he deserved to stay.. he doesn't.
I'm just sad because we all had such high hopes for him... even as recently as the start of last year.
Obviously Treliving wasn't able to trade him although I'm sure he really tried.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Doubt it with his salary.

What a shame. Injuries wrecked the guy and sutter destroyed his confidence.
Totally disagree. Valimaki's problems developed long before Sutter came on the scene.... and I'm not talking about just injuries. Its not like he didn't get his chances to regularly play and stick with the Flames.. he did.

Reactions: Nanuuk and Mitts

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Sutter did destroy his confidence but only because Treliving built it up terribly. Pretty much Bartschi 2.0 with Treliving taking Feaster's role while Sutter took Burke's.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Sutter did nothing to him, he got outplayed by kylington at camp and couldnt distinct himself from zadorov early last yr and zad was horrendous. Injures ruin him, he was our best D against the avs in 2019

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I think that the acl injury got to him. Conditioning after such is also long, but ppl often forget the mental side. Some players keep going as before the injury, but others play more "safe". In NHL, you cannot play safe. Maybe it got to his head and he`d need some mental coaching too? The talent was/is there, but he has regressed for a few years now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2