Player Discussion Juuso Valimaki

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He had a real shot to make the team. Know Zad is the whipping boy around here but really it was Kylington who took his spot. Not the end of the world for Juuso but always hate to see prospects going backwards. It's a marathon not a sprint so really don't have any problem with him going down and getting big minutes for the Heat. They could really use him tbh.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hope he figures it out. Still think he is nhl caliber, but his skating is holding him back big time. It just isn’t good since that tear.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He had a real shot to make the team. Know Zad is the whipping boy around here but really it was Kylington who took his spot. Not the end of the world for Juuso but always hate to see prospects going backwards. It's a marathon not a sprint so really don't have any problem with him going down and getting big minutes for the Heat. They could really use him tbh.

I gotta disagree zad clearly stole his spot mostly because Sutter still likes having a big heavy 3rd pairing. I might not agree but as long as we go with that plan I'm happy Valimaki can go play big minutes on a good team in the ahl

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I gotta disagree zad clearly stole his spot mostly because Sutter still likes having a big heavy 3rd pairing. I might not agree but as long as we go with that plan I'm happy Valimaki can go play big minutes on a good team in the ahl
I think that's kind of what they're saying as far as the "spot" goes. The top 4 was open for guys who are going to bring offense, while the bottom pairing is reserved for those heavier, defense first guys that are allergic to offense. Valimaki's role (much like any prospect coming in has to be better than Pitlick/Dube/Monahan since they won't fulfill the heavy, non-offensive 4th line goals), and Kylington took the role of the heavy offensive d-man which is where Valimaki would need to be to justify a roster spot. Though you could even argue it's more likely he stole the spot of "offensive d-man next to Tanev" specifically

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
This is his chance to test his might.

The more he obliterates the opposition, the more the chorus of praises and demands for his promotion from his home land will be music to our ears.

A Finnish hymn.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think that's kind of what they're saying as far as the "spot" goes. The top 4 was open for guys who are going to bring offense, while the bottom pairing is reserved for those heavier, defense first guys that are allergic to offense. Valimaki's role (much like any prospect coming in has to be better than Pitlick/Dube/Monahan since they won't fulfill the heavy, non-offensive 4th line goals), and Kylington took the role of the heavy offensive d-man which is where Valimaki would need to be to justify a roster spot. Though you could even argue it's more likely he stole the spot of "offensive d-man next to Tanev" specifically

Valimaki was never really tried in the top 4 tho. We tried zad - Tanev more than Valimaki- Tanev in preseason. Once it became clear Zad wasn't a top 4 defenseman Sutter couldn't help himself pair up the big boys. Zadorov is the most sheltered d man at 60% o zone start while Valimaki was the lowest at 49%. Seems pretty clear to me Sutter wants zad in the lineup at all costs, if Valimaki had been tried with tanev I could see the argument but we didn't.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'm guessing he was called up because of Kylington's false positive covid tets. Question is, why hasn't he been sent down again?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I’m going to say it, but I think he’s gotten worse and worse the more time he’s played with the organization. I thought at the start of the 2020-21 season he looked better than at the end of it, and I think this season it’s much the same.

I think it’s all between the ears. Unfortunately I think he’s going to need a new organization to go to.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't think he is on the roster next year, I don't think Sutter will play 2 young guys with limited experience together and Mackey will be on the team

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Injuries and attitude have heavily derailed him. He definitely needs a new start somewhere else.

My question is whether Treliving is even willing to trade his favorite son

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I still believe in him to grow into being an effective defenseman in the NHL. I don't think he'll be able to achieve that here

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What is he supposed to be good at?

I think he be in camp for a last shot then waiver wire

I don’t think he holds much value

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
This thread feels very familiar.

Kind of like all the things being said about Kylington over the prior 2-3 years.

Give him time.
I mean... where is he going to slot in?

Hanifin and Kylington are firmly ahead, and I'd say Mackey is at this poin too.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I mean... where is he going to slot in?

Hanifin and Kylington are firmly ahead, and I'd say Mackey is at this poin too.
One or both zadorov and gudbranson wont be back….so there will be room. Question is he good enough?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
This thread feels very familiar.

Kind of like all the things being said about Kylington over the prior 2-3 years.

Give him time.
Very possible but personally I feel like Mackey has passed him on the depth chart and I doubt Sutter will play 2 young guys together who have limited nhl experience. So while possible he wins a spot on the roster I think it's just as likely we move him in the offseason to make sure we don't lose him for nothing on waivers

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
One or both zadorov and gudbranson wont be back….so there will be room. Question is he good enough?
Mackey is the replacement for Zadorov. Valimaki could play his offside I guess, but there is Stone still...

Very possible but personally I feel like Mackey has passed him on the depth chart and I doubt Sutter will play 2 young guys together who have limited nhl experience. So while possible he wins a spot on the roster I think it's just as likely we move him in the offseason to make sure we don't lose him for nothing on waivers
I think he will be a #7 probably.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Honestly, Treliving did everything he could to force Kylington out of the team and reserve a spot for Valimaki. The tables have turned in quite an interesting way.

There's just no more room for him and he's waiver eligible next year. I had hoped by now that he would have made Hanifin expendable but injuries have set him too far back. The Hampus Lindholm trade rumour was very interesting though so we might still see a Hanifin trade.

Kylington-Tanev
Hanifin/Better LHD-Andersson
Giordano-Gudbranson/Stone
Mackey

Valimaki should be traded for picks. Keeping our RFA wingers + Kylington is a more pressing need than holding out hope that he pans out here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad