Player Discussion Juuso Valimaki

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What kind of expectations do you have for Juuso for the 2021-22 season?

Played 49 games last season contributing 2 goals 9 assists for 11 pts in 15:26 ATOI. Had some good rookie moments and some bad ones. Paired with Nesterov for most of the season who I thought was terrible didn't do him any favors. Needs to work on his pivots and his defensive reads, thought his outlets and play in the OZ showed promise. Anything else real obvious?

5-10 G 20-25 A out of the question? Hopefully can play well enough to push Zadorov down the lineup. Might be a good option for the 2nd PP unit.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I know it sounds like an excuse but I think he was both physically and mentally exhausted last season. The lack of playing time due to his injury really caught up with him in a hard way.

He looked really promising at times, then looked kinda disengaged.

20 points is not an unreasonable expectation, considering the Flams will likely play defense first. Doubt he hits double digits in goals, but should have a few breakout assists.

Reactions: Mobiandi and Fig

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I know it sounds like an excuse but I think he was both physically and mentally exhausted last season. The lack of playing time due to his injury really caught up with him in a hard way.

He looked really promising at times, then looked kinda disengaged.

20 points is not an unreasonable expectation, considering the Flams will likely play defense first. Doubt he hits double digits in goals, but should have a few breakout assists.

I think he started the year a lot better than he ended it and the number of games he played might have something to do with that.

Reactions: Fig and Ace Rimmer

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think he's going to have a mini-breakout season.
Nothing crazy like he becomes Makar or something; but I think he's going to find his way onto the PP, and I think they're going to use him as an O-zone start Dman to get him rolling.

I don't think 35 points is out of the question.

Reactions: Nanuuk

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Either in the doghouse or serviceable until the last couple months of the season where he starts to contribute more, gain more confidence and look like a consistent top 4 contributor moving forward.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
He definitely showed flashes of talent last season, but they became fewer and fewer as the season went on. I wasn't expecting much after 2 seasons messed up by injuries, but then all the hype about his play in Finland got my hopes back up higher than they should have been haha

I'm hoping he can work his way into some powerplay time on the 2nd unit. I think his potential in the offensive zone is better than any of the other young defensemen we have. Andersson was a bit disappointing quarterbacking the top unit; he's just a bit too static and, while his shot can be a rocket, it is certainly not accurate. Hanifin can move well at the point and he's a solid passer, but his shot is worrying anyone. Valimaki showed hints of brilliance with some of his playmaking, and I'm hoping his wrist shot can grow to be similar to Giordano's.

I'm gonna keep expectations for Valimaki low this season. He has all the tools to be a solid all-around defenseman. He's got a great frame with long arms and legs, and while he's not necessarily a flashy skater he gets around a lot quicker than he looks. One thing I noticed this past season is how many pucks bounced off him into our net. I'm not sure if that's just pure bad luck or if he needs to work on his awareness/positioning in front of the net, but it was a notable amount. Either way, I'm mostly hoping for more consistent play in his own zone.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Crazy travel across Canada with few practices, two training camps, three different coaches, the mentality of having to trust your ACL won't let you down if you over exert yourself. He'll be better next season

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
He’s too weak in front of the net, he needs some man strength. Was a below average bottom pair guy IMO but I still think he can be a #2 if his offence translates

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I had high expectations at the beginning of last year. My expectations have been somewhat reduced.
I'll be quite happy if Valimaki plays to Sutter's defensive standards.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It's a Damn reasonable deal with the crazy dmen deals that were handed out this year.
Like?

The guys with crazy deals had 1 yr NHL experience and a real bad one? Lol

I think Vali got a steal considering what he did

Reactions: Nanuuk

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Like?

The guys with crazy deals had 1 yr NHL experience and a real bad one? Lol

I think Vali got a steal considering what he did

Naw. We bought an extra cheap year for an extra 250-500K. We have so many players needing new deals next off season, and this ensures even if he has a breakout year he will still be cheap for next season at least.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Young D always struggle. I expect him to get the Hanifin treatment as he likely struggles for a few more seasons. He’ll be offered in a million cringe deals by our fanbase.

He’ll eventually figure it out and be a top pair guy though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad