Confirmed with Link: Jurco to Blackhawks for 2017 3rd

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Surprised we got a 3rd for him, thought we would be lucky for a 5th. He doesn't compete hard enough out there in my opinion. He just skates around and looks like he is waiting for others to do something.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'll admit it. Kenny did well here. I didn't think we'd get a third for him but so far so good. Hopefully we can keep this rolling and Vanek or Smith is next.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Wish he would have got a better start here, hope he finds his role in Chicago and enjoys t he success and talent he will be surrounded by in that club.

Good start to the trade season, so far...

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
:shakehead You're seriously using that list as an example of good drafting? The entire point of this cluster**** that Holland has put together this season is that we have an entire team of 3rd line forwards and 3rd pairing defensemen (or worse) You can't improve upon that unless you make some kind of major trade or have the second coming of Hakan Andersson to find HOF'ers in the late rounds, which he hasn't done in quite a while now. In addition to that the Wings haven't proven that even if they do get decent young players in the draft that they have the capability to develop them.

Compare those players careers thus far to the average career of players taken in their draft slot and you'll see very clearly that yes, the Wings have been above average drafters for a long long time.

The problem is that they have only been slightly above average over the past few years and in order to really fix what ails the team they need a homerun pick, which is extremely difficult to pull off when you're not picking early in the draft.

If your only accepted level of success is finding a HOF player in the later rounds then pretty much every GM in hockey sucks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
3rd for Jurco
2nd for Smith
1st for Vanek

I'd be so pumped.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
So trading a second round pick, Jurco, for a 3rd round pick is some sort of coup?

Considering that jurco has zero points this season, has known back issues, and had no future with the wings, i would say it's a solid deal given the circumstances. i would have been happy with a 5th round pick

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
:shakehead You're seriously using that list as an example of good drafting? The entire point of this cluster**** that Holland has put together this season is that we have an entire team of 3rd line forwards and 3rd pairing defensemen (or worse) You can't improve upon that unless you make some kind of major trade or have the second coming of Hakan Andersson to find HOF'ers in the late rounds, which he hasn't done in quite a while now. In addition to that the Wings haven't proven that even if they do get decent young players in the draft that they have the capability to develop them.

Nyquist is a first liner in a good season.

Franzen was a legit first line power foward.

Ericsson was and still is an excellent third pairing defensman.

AA has first line potential as well as star potential.

Mrazek has had a rough stretch, but he still is a solid starter with ELITE starter potential.

Matchenko, Helm, Nestrasil, etc - serviceable NHLers. Yeah, that's a pretty good list.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
Compare those players careers thus far to the average career of players taken in their draft slot and you'll see very clearly that yes, the Wings have been above average drafters for a long long time.

The problem is that they have only been slightly above average over the past few years and in order to really fix what ails the team they need a homerun pick, which is extremely difficult to pull off when you're not picking early in the draft.

If your only accepted level of success is finding a HOF player in the later rounds then pretty much every GM in hockey sucks.

You pretty much misinterpreted what I said and made the point I was making. We USED to make really good late round draft picks, due mostly to the abilities of Hakan Andersson, but it hasn't been the case in quite a while now. Ken Holland has been trying to convince the fan base up until this year that he could "rebuild on the fly" based on past lower round draft picks and that we were somehow loaded with talent. Nyquist and Tatar were the heirs apparent and just needed time to overripen in GR. Flipping one failed mid round draft pick like Jurco for another one isn't going to make any monumental changes to the team. If they can't get a top 5 pick the only way they can change the direction of the team is to make several monumental trades or hit the jackpot with a late round pick like they did in the glory years, but is much more difficult to do now.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I feel like Detroit got the better end of this one.

I think Jurco has the potential to make Chicago "win" the deal, but based off of his future in Detroit? There's no way Detroit got a poor return here. He was going to go back home next year. Detroit had no reason to hold onto him rather than taking any sort of compensation in return. Unless of course he goes home and performs well, wants to come back in a few years and they reunited... but overall, this return is more than anyone thought he would bring back.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Excited about the deal, excited to see how Jurco turns out in Chicago's system.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
You pretty much misinterpreted what I said and made the point I was making. We USED to make really good late round draft picks, due mostly to the abilities of Hakan Andersson, but it hasn't been the case in quite a while now. Ken Holland has been trying to convince the fan base up until this year that he could "rebuild on the fly" based on past lower round draft picks and that we were somehow loaded with talent. Nyquist and Tatar were the heirs apparent and just needed time to overripen in GR. Flipping one failed mid round draft pick like Jurco for another one isn't going to make any monumental changes to the team. If they can't get a top 5 pick the only way they can change the direction of the team is to make several monumental trades or hit the jackpot with a late round pick like they did in the glory years, but is much more difficult to do now.

You said those players weren't examples of good draft picks, yet every single one of them is, depending on the player, somewhere between an above average draft pick, to a great pick. Not one of them was a bad pick.

There are many things to criticize Holland over. The one area where he has unquestionably excelled is drafting. It's true that his draft success wasn't able to keep up with the aging core of the team this time, like it did last time, but that wasn't because he didn't draft well. It's because he didn't draft superhumanly.

If you want to criticize his trading abilities feel free, but you'd have more success in a thread over a bad trade rather than the Jurco trade which is by all accounts a great one for the Wings.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think Jurco has the potential to make Chicago "win" the deal, but based off of his future in Detroit? There's no way Detroit got a poor return here. He was going to go back home next year. Detroit had no reason to hold onto him rather than taking any sort of compensation in return. Unless of course he goes home and performs well, wants to come back in a few years and they reunited... but overall, this return is more than anyone thought he would bring back.

I think Detroit gave up a guy who they had no more interest in, after looking at him on both ends of the ice over several seasons, and in exchange they get the unknown quantity of a high third round pick. I can't help but think there is more potential in that pick. I mean, the Wings had a good, long look at Jurco. He may work out for Chicago, but from where I'm standing, it seemed that certain seasons he got maybe more ice time than he deserved, but wanted more anyway. If this is a depth move that helps Chicago, I'm glad for it, but it's only a depth move if Jurco starts playing well. Jurco as he is, without improvement, couldn't add depth to a last place team. Literally. I'm not trying to be mean. But Chicago is rolling the dice. They can afford that right now though.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
and (2) Ken Holland traded a roster player for a pick. I mean, he converted current value into future value without receiving any current value back. He's been hesitant to do that for quite some time.

Traded Kindl for a 6 last year.

At any rate, this is a pretty good deal. Jurco wasn't going to get on the roster, so something is better than nothing. I think he'll find some success in Chicago if he can get on the ice there, but he's got some work to do.

Chicago gets Jurco as an RFA, so they're a ways away from having to pay him big money (if they ever had to), and they need value forwards.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

No doubt on this one... given that he clearly had no role on this team moving forward, you gladly take a 3rd for him. I'm kinda stunned that Kenny actually got something for an asset with no future in Detroit instead of just waiving him out of the Joe. Hope the guy jump starts his career for the Hawks, they seem to be a nice landing spot for forwards to put up unexpected numbers.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Man was I ever excited when I heard we picked him at the 2011 draft. It's too bad things never really worked out, I thought he had a ton of potential.

With the emergence of AA, he was certainly expendable. I'm also glad we got a 3rd for him. This makes me hate the Hawks a bit less.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
3rd for Jurco
2nd for Smith
1st for Vanek

I'd be so pumped.

Not likely. If we get a 3rd for Smith I'll be pumped. The Hainsey deal does make me think we could get a 3rd for him. I was thinking 4th before that trade...

1st for Vanek would be great. Surely someone will bite at that.

Ott for a 7th would also be good.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I feel weird about this trade, because I feel like we did well, yet at the same time I'm actually hoping Jurco really pans out (Which will make it a steal for the Hawks).

I don't know, I guess part of me feels for the kid, then again he had lots of chances here and he never did anything.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Not likely. If we get a 3rd for Smith I'll be pumped. The Hainsey deal does make me think we could get a 3rd for him. I was thinking 4th before that trade...

1st for Vanek would be great. Surely someone will bite at that.

Ott for a 7th would also be good.

We might get a 1st for Smith, defensemen always get a ton at the deadline.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...it's only a depth move if Jurco starts playing well. Jurco as he is, without improvement, couldn't add depth to a last place team. Literally. I'm not trying to be mean. But Chicago is rolling the dice. They can afford that right now though.

In 158 games Jurco has 15 goals and I think a complete lost cause. Waiver candidate more than anything. I have no idea what Chicago sees in him, can't imagine he cracks their lineup this season. Must be a longer term project. Even if as PD said a 3rd round may be valued as a 4th in this draft good for the Wings to get anything for a guy that had no use. Sayonara Jurco dude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad