Confirmed with Link: Jurco to Blackhawks for 2017 3rd

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's amazing that Kenny has set the bar so low for himself that he's been lauded for making the most minor of trades. Even trading Smith and Vanek, which may or may not happen is still in the mostly no brainer category and not risk taking brilliant GM.

If people are allowed to complain about what they think Ken Holland could hypothetically do, people are allowed to commend him for making a good trade, as much of a no brainer as it was. Did you really expect a 3rd for Jurco?

Watch him become a 20-25 goal scorer.

That'll be on how dumb his coaches have used him. Also the Hawks have a better team.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
so you should only get credit for moves that you feel are not no brainers? I think holland has been a terrible gm the last few years and want him gone, but sometimes the bashing goes beyond ridiculous on this board

He made the deal and got a 3rd round pick for a dude that has zero points this season and no future on this team. it's a good trade no matter how obvious you think it is

For one, I didn't bash him. Secondly, had he made some moves 5 years ago, the Wings wouldn't be in this position. Draft picks don't mean squat unless you make good picks with them. The Wings have shown no ability to do that.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
For one, I didn't bash him. Secondly, had he made some moves 5 years ago, the Wings wouldn't be in this position. Draft picks don't mean squat unless you make good picks with them. The Wings have shown no ability to do that.

in your post you said holland has set the bar so low that people are giving him credit for obvious trades. yes that is bashing

so because holland hasn't picked well in previous drafts, getting a 3rd for jurco isn't a good trade?

seems like you're complaining for the sake of complaining

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I was a big fan of Jurco. Too bad he never got a good chance here. Shocked at the return tbh.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I like the trade from a value standpoint. I hope it's the first of several.

I really don't understand why he was being benched in favor of Sheahan, but oh well.

Yeah that's where I am. Good trade, Jurco had no future here and now we've got something that might pay dividends in the future. But Holland's going to have to do a lot more than trading a healthy scratch for a mid-round pick to start righting the ship. But it's a start.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Same. I was expecting a 5th maximum.

With the state of the team I think there is a tendancy to undervalue capable but unremarkable NHL players.

Seen it with Kindl and now Jurco. It sounds like Smith has some legit trade value. Ive definitely seen "worthless" tossed around to describe all three of them.

Then on the flip side people freak out every time a Ferarro or Nestrasil get waived :laugh:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Haven't really been high on him since the rookie season. His goalscoring ability/overall production has been abysmal in the last 100 games or so for someone with such mediocre playmaking and defense. Certainly the skill is there somewhere, but he hasn't delivered it at NHL level. But I wish him the best.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
With the state of the team I think there is a tendancy to undervalue capable but unremarkable NHL players.

Seen it with Kindl and now Jurco. It sounds like Smith has some legit trade value. Ive definitely seen "worthless" tossed around to describe all three of them.

Then on the flip side people freak out every time a Ferarro or Nestrasil get waived :laugh:

I hope the Rags see greatness in Smith then...

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
What's an objective, realistic take on Jurco from you guys?

He has nice hands and a good frame. Has not gotten a fair shake but seems to have persevered the best he could.

Think he does have a good shot at finding chemistry with CHI's pace of play. But his development is out of whack, and he's gotta be pretty rusty, so I'd classify it as a shot in the dark from you guys. Should be apparent pretty quickly if it's a good fit or not.

In a down draft year and, I have no faith that any of theses picks will turn into anything at all.

I don't think there's any way to quantify a down year beyond the first round or so. If anything I would say it makes the probabilities for late bloomers increase, which is what you're looking for with quantity of picks.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
in your post you said holland has set the bar so low that people are giving him credit for obvious trades. yes that is bashing

so because holland hasn't picked well in previous drafts, getting a 3rd for jurco isn't a good trade?

seems like you're complaining for the sake of complaining

So trading a second round pick, Jurco, for a 3rd round pick is some sort of coup?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well, nice to see assets acquired for pieces the team doesn't want. Usually they keep everyone for "depth" regardless.

Surprised his back issues didn't knock his value more.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
What do y'all think about that trade down to 35 now? A few notable players in the 30-45 range in 2011.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Draft picks don't mean squat unless you make good picks with them. The Wings have shown no ability to do that.

Have you seen how many mid-to-late round picks the wings have turned into genuine roster players in recent years? Ok, none have been elite for a long time, but you are criticising one of the few things that current management have done better than most other teams.

Mrazek, AA, Nike, Helm, Jensen, Ericsson, Janmark, Marchenko, Franzen, Quincey, Flip, Nesty and a few others who didn't stick in the NHL but got a few looks and contributed to trades for DRW all 3rd round or (mostly) later. Ok no superstars, but definite value there, and with some of late picks too recent to be sure about showing some definitely promise, there may be more yet.

Ultimately it will be how we do with 1st and 2nd rounder's now we are finally keeping them all and looking to gain more that will determine the future of the franchise, but being able to fairly regularly pick up roster players with mid-late picks gives you a lot more options when trading for assets or looking to build around those forthcoming top 2 rounds picks.

Oct 18, 2006
I think he can be a 20/20 type 3rd line player...a solid contributor.. I liked Jurco, just didn't work out here...didnt help the coaching staff was always ****ing with him either.

Really hope he flourishes, wherever he ends up.
Totally agree. I feel like he could reach those numbers, can't say it with much confidence, but just don't think he was given a great opportunity in Detroit to do so.

Really hope he does well.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
He wasnt really given the opportunity here. We generally insist on rolling out the same **** night after night. Probably as high a pick as you could expect.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
How do we get a third for Jurco and Eaves only gets a second? Great work Kenny!

I wish Jurco the best, I don't know the behind the scenes work, but he seems to still have a ton of potential.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
Have you seen how many mid-to-late round picks the wings have turned into genuine roster players in recent years? Ok, none have been elite for a long time, but you are criticising one of the few things that current management have done better than most other teams.

Mrazek, AA, Nike, Helm, Jensen, Ericsson, Janmark, Marchenko, Franzen, Quincey, Flip, Nesty and a few others who didn't stick in the NHL but got a few looks and contributed to trades for DRW all 3rd round or (mostly) later. Ok no superstars, but definite value there, and with some of late picks too recent to be sure about showing some definitely promise, there may be more yet.

Ultimately it will be how we do with 1st and 2nd rounder's now we are finally keeping them all and looking to gain more that will determine the future of the franchise, but being able to fairly regularly pick up roster players with mid-late picks gives you a lot more options when trading for assets or looking to build around those forthcoming top 2 rounds picks.

:shakehead You're seriously using that list as an example of good drafting? The entire point of this cluster**** that Holland has put together this season is that we have an entire team of 3rd line forwards and 3rd pairing defensemen (or worse) You can't improve upon that unless you make some kind of major trade or have the second coming of Hakan Andersson to find HOF'ers in the late rounds, which he hasn't done in quite a while now. In addition to that the Wings haven't proven that even if they do get decent young players in the draft that they have the capability to develop them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad