Confirmed with Link: Jurco to Blackhawks for 2017 3rd

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
What's an objective, realistic take on Jurco from you guys?

Hands, size, skill but either confidence is completely train-wrecked or he lacks the quickness of thought to compete at the NHL level, I would bank on the former.
He handles himself well along the boards is good at protecting the puck and holding on to it. At this point in time his patience and vision with the puck and his confidence seem to be lacking, but I think that can be turned around in the right situation.
I think hawks fans are going to be pleased once he can get his head and his game straightened out; I still think he has 2nd line potential at best, though will likely settle into a 3rd line role on a team as deep as Chicago.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
It's a weak draft so teams likely value a 3rd like a 4th/5th in a typical year. Solid return though for a guy with zero points.

He has skill to be a 20+20 guy in this league. Health is an issue, as is confidence. Expectations shouldn't be high but he's a classic case of someone who needed a fresh start.

Appreciate it, thanks.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Current Red Wings draft picks for 2017:

1st DET ~6th overall
2nd DET, ~35th overall
3rd TOR, ~80th overall (from Babcock-compensation)
3rd CHI, ~87th overall (for Tomas Jurco)
4th DET, ~97th overall
5th DET, ~128th overall
6th DET, ~159th overall
6th FLO, ~172nd overall (for Jakub Kindl)
7th DET, ~190th overall

9 picks already, would be nice to add another 1st and 2-3 extra lower rounds.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Hands, size, skill but either confidence is completely train-wrecked or he lacks the quickness of thought to compete at the NHL level, I would bank on the former.
He handles himself well along the boards is good at protecting the puck and holding on to it. At this point in time his patience and vision with the puck and his confidence seem to be lacking, but I think that can be turned around in the right situation.
I think hawks fans are going to be pleased once he can get his head and his game straightened out; I still think he has 2nd line potential at best, though will likely settle into a 3rd line role on a team as deep as Chicago.

Thanks. Seems like a decent deal for both sides. You guys get a solid pick and Hawks get a guy that can maybe make fit sort of like they did Panik from Toronto. Not comparing players, just situations. See how it goes.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

1st DET ~6th overall
2nd DET, ~35th overall
4th DET, ~97th overall
5th DET, ~128th overall
6th DET, ~159th overall
7th DET, ~190th overall

Looking good, keep pumping air into that tire Kenny!

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

1st DET ~6th overall
2nd DET, ~35th overall
4th DET, ~97th overall
5th DET, ~128th overall
6th DET, ~159th overall
7th DET, ~190th overall

what happened to their 3rd rounder?

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
Bummer in a way. I liked him. Never thought he got much of a fair shake. Had a couple short chances. But seemed to have the shortest leash out of the forwards. A skill guy forced to play a bottom six defensive roll for the most part. Glad he'll get a chance to prove blash and babs wrong. Wish him well.

In sayin all that. A 3rd pick is a great return. So far so good on the first red wings deadline as sellers in my lifetime

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
It's amazing that Kenny has set the bar so low for himself that he's been lauded for making the most minor of trades. Even trading Smith and Vanek, which may or may not happen is still in the mostly no brainer category and not risk taking brilliant GM.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
How awesome would it be if they start pulling home run picks in the 3rd round for 1st rounders that didn't work out. I didn't even think they'd get a 3rd for Jurco. Now get a 2nd for Smith because I expect a 3rd.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
It's amazing that Kenny has set the bar so low for himself that he's been lauded for making the most minor of trades. Even trading Smith and Vanek, which may or may not happen is still in the mostly no brainer category and not risk taking brilliant GM.

He got a better return than most people expected he'd get for Jurco. I'd venture to guess that's what people are happy about.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Thanks. Seems like a decent deal for both sides. You guys get a solid pick and Hawks get a guy that can maybe make fit sort of like they did Panik from Toronto. Not comparing players, just situations. See how it goes.

This one can go either way. He's got the skill but it hasn't worked out here. He could be a steal or he could be a bust for you. Best of luck Thomas

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

so you should only get credit for moves that you feel are not no brainers? I think holland has been a terrible gm the last few years and want him gone, but sometimes the bashing goes beyond ridiculous on this board

He made the deal and got a 3rd round pick for a dude that has zero points this season and no future on this team. it's a good trade no matter how obvious you think it is

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
cool,shame it didn't work out but it's clear the guy at the very least needs a change of scenery at this point and it's very uncertain he ever remotely regains the form he had before his injuries

nice return for a guy that hasn't done much of anything in years now

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007

1st DET ~6th overall
2nd DET, ~35th overall
4th DET, ~97th overall
5th DET, ~128th overall
6th DET, ~159th overall
7th DET, ~190th overall

think your numbers are slightly wrong. with vegas's inclusion there should be 31 first round picks, so although 6th is currently correct, i have us picking at 37 in the second round. i could be confused and it isn't really important, but still.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI

1st DET ~6th overall
2nd DET, ~35th overall
4th DET, ~97th overall
5th DET, ~128th overall
6th DET, ~159th overall
7th DET, ~190th overall

In a down draft year and, I have no faith that any of theses picks will turn into anything at all.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I don't think he really got a fair shake in Detroit this last little bit, but hopefully he can find his game in Chicago. He's got the skill.

This is a good trade for 2 reasons:

(1) Ken Holland traded a player who wasn't working out instead of keeping him on the roster until he left for Europe,

and (2) Ken Holland traded a roster player for a pick. I mean, he converted current value into future value without receiving any current value back. He's been hesitant to do that for quite some time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad