Value of: JT Miller vaule and price set now that Nazem Kadri has signed with Flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Besides the Isles, how many teams might have the cap space and interest in making a summer move for Miller, presumably with an extension?

Penguins would have both the interest and ability to sign him to an extension (they have lots of cap space after this year). But VAN would either have to retain 50% on Miller and/or take a player back (such as Blueger or Kapanen or McGinn) and/or the Penguins would have to move salary in a separate deal to make the cap work for this season.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
We don't really have a future, as far as prospects etc go. There's Raty, Dufour and a 23 1st. Not really sure that would be a glorious return.
That might be the best offer out there. I don't see a big market out there—that's not a comment on Miller, but it is a comment on the small number of teams that could put together a package, has the capspace and are a spot where Miller might re-sign.

Reactions: andora

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Penguins would have both the interest and ability to sign him to an extension (they have lots of cap space after this year). But VAN would either have to retain 50% on Miller and/or take a player back (such as Blueger or Kapanen or McGinn) and/or the Penguins would have to move salary in a separate deal to make the cap work for this season.
Personally i would have no problem taking bleuger back.. good player

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Now I think Pulock and Pesce should stay put for another reason:

Garland is a surprising good player who is apparently underpaid compared to other players with similar outputs: NHL Player Statistics -Advanced Stats

Check out his 5X5 points stats and his stats for drawing penalties for example.

Conor Garland is a statistical darling, and he is a bit of a unicorn himself.

So I withdraw my suggest.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Besides the Isles, how many teams might have the cap space and interest in making a summer move for Miller, presumably with an extension?

without taking cap back Ora roughly evrn cap trade?

pure cap space…..without any other trades or LTIR space..buffalo, chicsgo, Anaheim, arizona. None of them woukd resign him.

as a UFA signing/ cap neutral trade..Boston, iskanders, blues. Avs, Washington, Pens, winnipeg.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Personally i would have no problem taking bleuger back.. good player

Yes, Blueger is a very good defensive and PK'ing C. The Pens would prefer to keep him but if they feel one of Poehling or O'Connor can take that spot at $750K, it's a sacrifice they may have to make. As a pending UFA, he's also a guy that could be flipped for a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline if the Canucks were not in the playoff hunt.

However, moving Blueger alone doesn't open up enough cap space. They would have to move out McGinn or Kapanen as well -- if not to VAN (unlikely of course), then to a separate team.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Yes, Blueger is a very good defensive and PK'ing C. The Pens would prefer to keep him but if they feel one of Poehling or O'Connor can take that spot at $750K, it's a sacrifice they may have to make. As a pending UFA, he's also a guy that could be flipped for a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline if the Canucks were not in the playoff hunt.

However, moving Blueger alone doesn't open up enough cap space. They would have to move out McGinn or Kapanen as well -- if not to VAN (unlikely of course), then to a separate team.
I was thinking if miller gets retained half.. bringing it closer to a wash

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I was thinking if miller gets retained half.. bringing it closer to a wash

I hear you, but if the Penguins need to also send a couple of picks to dump McGinn elsewhere (such as 2 2nds or a 2nd + 3rd), then it diminishes how much they could spend on the Miller portion of the trade.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I hear you, but if the Penguins need to also send a couple of picks to dump McGinn elsewhere (such as 2 2nds or a 2nd + 3rd), then it diminishes how much they could spend on the Miller portion of the trade.
Unless mcginn is still seen as useful which he is.. it might not be that expensive to move him once the season gets going

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Who would the Pens be willing to part with, especially if we retained and took back a player?

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
No way. Next year is another shot. All in, baby. Need that special week in April. I will never give up on my “Back in The Bubble” Benning boys. Never forget Back in the Bubble. You just need to get in, man. Then anything can happen. Maybe even a third home gate.
Does your comedy routine get good at some point?

Reactions: jd22

dman34

May 6, 2011
If he had more control maybe, but still very doubtful. Dodson is trending towards stud area
JT Miller is already a stud. But yes, I agree, It would have to be a sign and trade or JT would have to agree to an extension with the NYI. There's no way Dobson would get traded for 1 year of Miller. I'd also add in Hoglander or Rathbone if needed.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Who would the Pens be willing to part with, especially if we retained and took back a player?

Any of the following would be available in the right trade (besides Blueger, McGinn & Kapanen):

Owen Pickering
Sam Poulin
Ty Smith (has one year of waiver exemption left)
Mark Friedman (right shot #6/7 Dman signed for 2 years near league min)
2023 1st, 2nd or 3rd
2024 1st, 2nd or 3rd
2025 1st, 2nd or 3rd

There may be some other lesser prospects as well, but I think the Pens hold on to O’Connor, Hallander and Puustinen (who they need as NHL ready bottom 6 guys) and G prospect Blomqvist. Maybe they’re willing to part with Svejkovsky.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Any of the following would be available in the right trade (besides Blueger, McGinn & Kapanen):

Owen Pickering
Sam Poulin
Ty Smith (has one year of waiver exemption left)
Mark Friedman (right shot #6/7 Dman signed for 2 years near league min)
2023 1st, 2nd or 3rd
2024 1st, 2nd or 3rd
2025 1st, 2nd or 3rd

There may be some other lesser prospects as well, but I think the Pens hold on to O’Connor, Hallander and Puustinen (who they need as NHL ready bottom 6 guys) and G prospect Blomqvist. Maybe they’re willing to part with Svejkovsky.
Something involving Pickering should be of interest I would think.

Reactions: andora
Feb 19, 2018
I think he ends up a Capital or Islander. If he lasts until the trade deadline I see him as a Ranger.

We don't really have a future, as far as prospects etc go. There's Raty, Dufour and a 23 1st. Not really sure that would be a glorious return.
If Mayfield gets added I’m sure it’s a deal.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
JT Miller is already a stud. But yes, I agree, It would have to be a sign and trade or JT would have to agree to an extension with the NYI. There's no way Dobson would get traded for 1 year of Miller. I'd also add in Hoglander or Rathbone if needed.
There’s no way Miller with an extention returns Dobson. Forget those add ins you’re trying to push as part of a trade. Mayfield is your only option from the Islanders blueline if the Islanders are out. The top 4 (Pelech, Pulock, Dobson and Romanov) are just about untouchable and key pieces to the Islanders future.

Last edited:
Reactions: WangMustGo

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I'd add to Miller to get Dobson on the Canucks.

No kidding, id also add to a UFA to be for Quinn Hughes.

You dont trade a 22 year old, 6'4, 50+ point right handed defenseman that oozes hockey IQ, and is a very hood skater.

The Canucks lone chance to get Dobson was at the draft. In all likelihood he finishes his 3 year RFA contract and is resigned to an 8 year contract. So in 11 years maybe the Canucks can try again.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Been a long time proponent of the value Miller SHOULD have.

But

1. If he was willing to take a solid deal of around $7.3 million or less, he'd be signed​
2. If a team was willing to pay the asking price he's worth, he'd have been traded​
3. If he was willing to accept a bridge deal, he'd be signed​

It is evident that teams are not willing to pay what he's worth. It is evident he is not willing to take less money or term. The likelihood of him staying in Vancouver until the TDL is about as confirmed as it can be. This increases the likelihood of the Canucks being in a playoff hunt which increases the likelihood of Miller walking at seasons end for nothing.

The Canucks brass/fans had arbitrary dates of

New Years (pre Boudreau/management change)
TDL
Draft day
Free Agency
Bergeron signing
Gaudreau/Tkachuk signing
Kadri signing

And now have moved the date further down the line. As someone who spoke loud and long about what a player of his calibre was and should be worth it is infuriating that he is still unsigned and still not traded depending on which camp you're in. The Canucks will be competing for a wild card spot at best against the two unknowns in our division in Vegas and Anaheim. Keeping Miller is our best chance of coming out on top. Trading Miller ensures we obtain assets that make the team viable for the future.

Damned if they do damned if they don't but it's infuriating either way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad