Value of: JT Miller vaule and price set now that Nazem Kadri has signed with Flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Pettersson > Barzal
Hughes > Dobson
Podkolzin > Mid/late first

You have to keep adding valuable pieces from the Islanders for a deal like this to ever happen. As structured Vancouver doesn't even answer the phone.
He has the 1st coming from the Canucks as well, not NYI.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Hughes and Demko already have 5 years more on their deals, EP is already at 7.25milly, with a poor past season. There's really not much more to budget for between the 3. Maybe another 1-1.5 in 2 years if EP really pops off. If that happens then that means the Nucks should be looking to make some noise over the coming seasons.
EP had 32 goals and 68 points last season.

Yes, he was absolutely terrible in the first half of the year, with 20 points in 40 games, while dealing with an injury and awful coach. He was outstanding under BB and had 48 points in the second half.

He will be just fine. He has had a healthy offseason to train. I think EP could have a huge season coming up.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Hughes and Demko already have 5 years more on their deals, EP is already at 7.25milly, with a poor past season. There's really not much more to budget for between the 3. Maybe another 1-1.5 in 2 years if EP really pops off. If that happens then that means the Nucks should be looking to make some noise over the coming seasons.

32 goals is a poor season....SMDH, he definitely had a poor start to the season but finished with 32 goals, and at a 91 point pace since we got Boudreau, that's important too.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
EP had 32 goals and 68 points last season.

Yes, he was absolutely terrible in the first half of the year, with 20 points in 40 games, while dealing with an injury and awful coach. He was outstanding under BB and had 48 points in the second half.

He will be just fine. He has had a healthy offseason to train. I think EP could have a huge season coming up.
I do think he will be fine, and looks like he's taking this offseason seriously. He lagged behind after Bruce took over though, and was pretty trash up until the 50ish game mark. His issues date back to before his latest injury as well, poor skating to start the season, low stamina, hesitant to shoot etc.

The point was, between EP, Huggy and Demko, there's nothing to budget for. The 3 will take up the same % of the cap going forward, as they do now, even with an expected raise for EP.

Reactions: andora

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I do think he will be fine, and looks like he's taking this offseason seriously. He lagged behind after Bruce took over though, and was pretty trash up until the 50ish game mark. His issues date back to before his latest injury as well, poor skating to start the season, low stamina, hesitant to shoot etc.

The point was, between EP, Huggy and Demko, there's nothing to budget for. The 3 will take up the same % of the cap going forward, as they do now, even with an expected raise for EP.
Why on earth can the Canucks not afford all 3? Nobody has any idea of who will even be on the team in 5 or 6 years, or what the cap will be. Many teams in the NHL have 3+ stars in their prime, why would the Canucks not be able to fit that? They literally have $0 in cap spent when Hughes deal is up in 2027.

EDIT: Sorry, re read your initial post. Pretty sure you are saying the same as me here.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
His issues date back to before his latest injury as well, poor skating to start the season, low stamina, hesitant to shoot etc.
This is a big year for Pettersson. He'll turn 24 early into the season, and hopefully he's reaching full physical maturity.

I don't think fans around the league realize that beyond being an offensive maestro, he is an aggressive back-checker and smart defensive player who skates hard at all times... he's just really skinny with weak legs. The fact that he's accomplished what he has to this point with his frame is pretty incredible, but a fully mature Pete is a 90+ point player who is solid in all areas of the ice. Easily a franchise player, but he's not quite there yet.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This is a big year for Pettersson. He'll turn 24 early into the season, and hopefully he's reaching full physical maturity.

I don't think fans around the league realize that beyond being an offensive maestro, he is an aggressive back-checker and smart defensive player who skates hard at all times... he's just really skinny with weak legs. The fact that he's accomplished what he has to this point with his frame is pretty incredible, but a fully mature Pete is a 90+ point player who is solid in all areas of the ice. Easily a franchise player, but he's not quite there yet.
I think he's a fantastic talent, but like a Jack Hughes, or a Barzal, will always benefit from a bigger more physical second center to do the heavy lifting that frees up a lighter finesse guy to do his thing. If VAN sends out both Miller and Horvat for some reason and EP has to suddenly take all the hard matchups it will initially hurt his play. We saw that this past season in MTL where Suzuki really struggled at first without the veteran center support to insulate him. He more or less bounced back as the team played better but it wasn't great for him. Can a guy like that be a franchise player? Probably, but it requires a coach with some brains and a decent second center that can play heavy minutes with unfavorable matchups.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I think he's a fantastic talent, but like a Jack Hughes, or a Barzal, will always benefit from a bigger more physical second center to do the heavy lifting that frees up a lighter finesse guy to do his thing. If VAN sends out both Miller and Horvat for some reason and EP has to suddenly take all the hard matchups it will initially hurt his play. We saw that this past season in MTL where Suzuki really struggled at first without the veteran center support to insulate him. He more or less bounced back as the team played better but it wasn't great for him. Can a guy like that be a franchise player? Probably, but it requires a coach with some brains and a decent second center that can play heavy minutes with unfavorable matchups.

I agree with everything you said, but Pettersson is 6'2.5.
He will fill out more than any of those other guys, and has the potential to be an excellent all-around player. Or not... we shall see.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He will fill out more than any of those other guys, and has the potential to be an excellent all-around player. Or not... we shall see.
I'm not sure he will ever really fill out. He's apparently one of those slender frame guys that are all arms and legs. He was about 160-165 pounds at 6'2" in his teens and I'm skeptical he can go much beyond maybe 175 without sacrificing some speed or agility. Still, it's not going to be his weight that defines him even if it limits his minutes or usage a bit. There is no reason to try to change guys like him or Hughes or Barzal, just let them do what they do best and the results will be very good most of the time.

Reactions: Grantham

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I doubt it, EP is built like a stick. He has some height sure but he is more slender than the sedins...he would need to gain 15lbs to reach their 185lb playing weight.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Ho-hum.
20220826_151944.jpg

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
IMO Miller isnt going to get traded anytime soon. Teams that want him are simply capped out and the Canucks dont have room to take back cap dump. Thats until at least when the season starts and teams can use the LTIR. For the Canucks, they'll get cap space by putting Ferland and Poolman on LTIR.

I believe Miller will get traded in season when the cap is easier to maneuver. Canucks can also retain if needed.

The question is what will the return be for an Elite Player like Miller in season or close to TDL, even if its for a rental. Here are some comparisons from previous trade deadlines.

Roughly:

Andrew Copp- 1st, 2nd, 5th, Barron
Claude Giroux- 1st, 3rd, Owen Tippett
Nic Foligno- 1st and 4th
Pageu- 1st, 2nd,
Hayes- 1st, 4th , Lemeiux

Miller is in the middle of his prime and I believe can fetch more than of these players, whats your return prediction?

Mine is:

1st
2nd
A to B+ Prospect
Useful young roster player with value

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He’s not being traded 70-30 he walks in free agency. Cap space has value too.

Zero chance Canucks let him walk away.

Rutherford is already on record saying their hard deadline and pressure point will be January at the latest to either trade Miller or re-sign him.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
1st
Top prospect
Cap Dump
A pic with contingencies

Template has kinda been set. Kane should return similar.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Copp deal was only a 1st because the Rangers went to the ECF, otherwise it was two 2nds, 5th + Barron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad