Value of: JT Miller vaule and price set now that Nazem Kadri has signed with Flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Don't like Miller threads? Don't click on the thread. The only thing worse than a new JT Miller thread is the whining about new JT Miller threads. You have choice. Use it.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
1st
Top prospect
Cap Dump
A pic with contingencies

Template has kinda been set. Kane should return similar.

i think kane woudl return more based on reputation and he has more offence and is a bigger name

How much more will the value get bumped up if Canucks take a cap dump and or retain Miller?

is 2- 1sts and a prospect a possibility?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Cookie Monster + Elmo

Elmo has been accused of sexual assault at a Sesame Street Gala in 2002 so you'll need to sub another asset for him until he's cleared. Cookie Monster + Oscar the Grouch. Oscar is technically not homeless but he lives in a garbage can so re-signing him should be a breeze.

Reactions: BagHead

Vakarte

May 30, 2022
JT Miller has been on pace for at least 70+ points the last 3 years and people think trading a lot for him on a rental isn't worth it?

We saw what the Avs did at the deadline and look how that turned out.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
JT Miller has been on pace for at least 70+ points the last 3 years and people think trading a lot for him on a rental isn't worth it?

We saw what the Avs did at the deadline and look how that turned out.

He has 217 pts in his last 200 games and is 29 yrs old, is there actually many people that think he isnt worth trading for a rental?

We know GMs think differently, Trade Deadline is like Christmas to some of these guys....like I said, Copp, Foligno, Hayes etc, all players that are well below Miller level were able to be " coveted" at the deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
IMO Miller isnt going to get traded anytime soon. Teams that want him are simply capped out and the Canucks dont have room to take back cap dump. Thats until at least when the season starts and teams can use the LTIR. For the Canucks, they'll get cap space by putting Ferland and Poolman on LTIR.

I believe Miller will get traded in season when the cap is easier to maneuver. Canucks can also retain if needed.

The question is what will the return be for an Elite Player like Miller in season or close to TDL, even if its for a rental. Here are some comparisons from previous trade deadlines.

Roughly:

Andrew Copp- 1st, 2nd, 5th, Barron
Claude Giroux- 1st, 3rd, Owen Tippett
Nic Foligno- 1st and 4th
Pageu- 1st, 2nd,
Hayes- 1st, 4th , Lemeiux

Miller is in the middle of his prime and I believe can fetch more than of these players, whats your return prediction?

Mine is:

1st
2nd
A to B+ Prospect
Useful young roster player with value
Realistic deadline return of him at 50% retained….what teams will even have about $2.7M in cap space? That means a 3 TD team is needed to retain to get him to around $1.4M.

A middle team doing that will be asking for a 2nd.

Vancouver without a 3rd team

playoff team 1st ( pick 24-32)
a salary of around $2M to balance things out( this could be 1 or 2 players). This player won’t be a spare part so that persons value matters
B level prospect

if it’s a middle team then Vancouver gets

a 2nd that becomes a 1st if team picking 26-32
an ELC player (not a top 5 prospect)
a B prospect

middle team gets a 2nd

there are many teams who will not give up a 1st….these are

1. teams like Toronto, Calgary who have given up many over recent/ future years
2. teams who traded a 2nd in 23 draft
3. bubble teams

this leaves only a few who will give up a first

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
1st, 3rd, decent prospect,

depends how decent that prospect is,

but the Canucks themselves invested 1st and 3rd for him so they are going to want to cash in way more in their investment.

id be disappointed with this return unless:

- that 1st is a high one because an up and coming team is gambling and trades for Miller in October.
- the prospect returning can surpass Lekerrimaki as our top prospect in our system.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
1st
Top prospect
Cap Dump
A pic with contingencies

Template has kinda been set. Kane should return similar.

Yeah.... about that.

I'm sure GM's would love to spend a fortune on a player on his last year who will ask for a monster contract starting when he turns 31

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Yeah.... about that.

I'm sure GM's would love to spend a fortune on a player on his last year who will ask for a monster contract starting when he turns 31

They dont need to re-sign him, Lots of teams can be considered in their cup window and ALL in now.

There are also teams that might be looking to take the next step now and the upcoming years and adding Miller might be their priority, including extending him...teams such as Detroit, Ottawa, Sabres, CBJ, etc...

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
1st
2nd or equivalent prospect (if the trading team is a true contender)
B+ prospect
Filler

B+ to me is a recent Day 2 pick trending upwards (what Bahl was in the Hall deal) or a former 1st trending downwards (Tippett in the Giroux trade is a close enough approximation). Basically, something that Vancouver can sell themselves on, while being expendable for the trading team (hurts mildly).

Comp: Matt Duchene to Columbus

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Trick question:

Vancouver will be in the playoff hunt and not trade him. Roll the dice they re-sign in the summer.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Yeah.... about that.

Just turned 29, is now almost 30, is now turning 31? I love how anyone out of their teens just start to get rounded up in age.

At this rate, JT will be 35 by the deadline.

Last edited:

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Reactions: Jerzey Devil

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Fair enough. Seems like you're right and there is at least some smoke.
Don't read much into Seravalli's "guesses". Miller hasn't been quoted saying he wants to leave or specifically play for an American team, but he has been quoted saying he wants to stay in Vancouver. If he does go to free agency, there is a strong chance he signs with an American team, but that is mostly due to the remaining number of Canadian teams he could potentially sign with (6) vs American teams (25). Math.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
i think kane woudl return more based on reputation and he has more offence and is a bigger name

How much more will the value get bumped up if Canucks take a cap dump and or retain Miller?

is 2- 1sts and a prospect a possibility?
He is older and Miller plays physical occasionally, also outprodcued Kane this past season ( and a center) . I don't think 2 first happens unless it's a contingency; for instance making conference finals or re signing for example. So possible but unlikely . I think they return similar packages.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
He is older and Miller plays physical occasionally, also outprodcued Kane this past season ( and a center) . I don't think 2 first happens unless it's a contingency; for instance making conference finals or re signing for example. So possible but unlikely . I think they return similar packages.
What player ever in the Salary Cap NHL returned 2-1sts as a rental?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
What player ever in the Salary Cap NHL returned 2-1sts as a rental?
Well in that poster’s example, as a contingency based on playoff performance or re-signing(which isn’t allowed anymore), Matt Duchene did. Of course he didn’t re-sign with Columbus so Ottawa didn’t get 2 1st’s but like that poster said, on a contingency basis it’s a possibility.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Miller has one season in his entire career scoring at a rate Kane has the last 6. If you take Kane from 2018-now he almost has more points in those seasons alone than Millers entire middling career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad