Value of: JT Miller to Pens at top top dollar only

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Terrible trade for Pens but I actually think JTM could be a great fit with the Pens although I don’t think there’s a trade to be made here. He’s primarily a LW but can fill in at C with no problems and has looked good there. Decent defensively but great off the rush and has great skating, skates through a whole team on occasions. Plays pretty big as well and hits often. Nice hands as well. Kids a bull and a very underrated one. 6’1 218 pounds. 56 points last year and on pace for 55 this year, usually is stuck to 3rd line. Can PK and play PP. just a little scouting report. I think I’d rather keep him as I don’t see a trade that improves both teams. Pens don’t exactly have good prospects (except Sprong and I think both teams would actually turn down a trade around them, Pens seem to be very high on Sprong and he’s younger and more controlled. Rangers wouldn’t do it because J.T. is already a stud for us and is still only 24) and I wouldn’t trade J.T. for their first

Apr 9, 2009
USA
This is hilarious. Good job, OP. You've made a horrendous trade offer. One of the worst I've seen. I'm impressed given what else I've seen here over the last decade or so.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
So the trade is:

:pens
1st 2018
1st 2019
2nd 2018
2nd 2019
Justin schultz

for

:rangers
J.T Miller
Marc Staal
Moderate add

No chance I'd do that if I was the Pens
Gee when you break it down without all those extra words it looks....ya, it still looks like shit.

Reactions: Riptide

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
to the OP's offer: this may be the worst proposal I've ever seen.

first of all, you are the one offering JT Miller. Pens fans didn't make the offer for him.

second of all, the value. it's so lopsided in the Rangers favor that this thread should just be locked up immediately.

what a truly mind-blowing trade offer this is.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
He is overpriced at 5.7 but untethered from the anchor that is Girardi he no longer sucks. It is more than fair to say after recovering from concussions and eye injury he is no longer what he was, the best pure shutdown D in the league. But with the right partner he can handle no longer 20+ 1st pair mins, but 14+ on 3rd pair is clearly fine and doable.

Staal is not a big component here. I do want a taker, because we have excess LD which is backlogging things. But he can stay until then, no prob.

I figured since you're not seeing people banging down the doors to get Letang, and his 7.25m, you might want to shift his RD $ to LD with the swap of Schultz for Staal.
Staal is horrendous at that contract. everything you offered in this thread is awful for the Pens.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I know NYR are rebuilding, but that's a lot to give up for 50-pt player and one of the worst contracts in the league

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Late 1sts potential for a guy like Miller is not enough.

Pens 2018 and 2019 1sts and 2nds.

Then I want something on top of that

maybe Schultz, 3 years 5.5 for Staal, 4 years 5.7 and Rangers do a moderate add.
but add does not have to be that.

Again, not looking to move Miller
deals are made all the time for different reasons, and the value is not always balanced because of those reasons

I am upfront: on this occasion, do not want fair value here, coke for pepsi

Rangers have to make a killing in order to consider deal.

Do Pens overpay and if so, what is the final deal on top of draft picks
[NY does not want vets]?

Well, at least you're consistent - because what you've offered isn't anywhere close to a fair deal. Pittsburgh easily says f*** no merely at the mention of adding Schultz to any deal for a winger - regardless of what D is coming back.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Continue to consider JT part of our young care. Strongly leaning to create cap space and retain long term deal. However, open mind, would consider dealing IF AND ONLY IF an offer that could not be refused were presented. Pens are a fit, even tho teams don't do biz usually.

Miller was 15OA, plays as if could have been drafted higher.
Not elite speed, power, shot etc but solid in all areas, versatile F plays either W or C
Fits Pens needs like a glove, and is home grown to boot.

The fact that there is a strong draft this year and next.
Late 1sts potential for a guy like Miller is not enough.

Pens 2018 and 2019 1sts and 2nds.
Then I want something on top of that

maybe Schultz, 3 years 5.5 for Staal, 4 years 5.7 and Rangers do a moderate add.
but add does not have to be that.

Eww, I've criticized a lot of Pens offers for other teams' good players because there's been a ton of those threads recently.. but man that is bad. Miller isn't getting 2 1sts and 2 2nds, nevermind the absolute trash of an offer that would include Staal and Schultz.

Really really bad value here.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So the trade is:

:pens
1st 2018
1st 2019
2nd 2018
2nd 2019
Justin schultz

for

:rangers
J.T Miller
Marc Staal
Moderate add

No chance I'd do that if I was the Pens

In 20 years, when Jimmy Rutherford is in advanced stages of dementia, I could see him going for a deal like this.

Reactions: Extra Texture

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
That's probably reasonable to suggest, and I wouldn't be surprised when both teams say "thanks but no thanks" to that deal. I don't think either team would want to see their player on another team in the division, since both Maatta and Miller are really good.
That's probably reasonable to suggest, and I wouldn't be surprised when both teams say "thanks but no thanks" to that deal. I don't think either team would want to see their player on another team in the division, since both Maatta and Miller are really good.

Yeah this is just the scenario both teams players are more valuable to the respective team

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Lol people are making really stupid posts saying Brayden Schenn and Phil Kessel were traded for only ____, obviously using struggling players who broke out after being traded to purposely make it sound like those players today would only be worth said amount

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Anytime you make a proposal in which you consciously have one team overpaying for... I don't know, a draft position of a guy DRAFTED IN 2011, I guess, it's a doomed premise for a thread and will receive a response as brutal as this.

This is one f***ing abomination of a proposal and deserves the brutal responses.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Miller for Schultz and Sprong. Better than whatever that proposal is.

Staal has negative value, asking for a top 4 Dman, two firsts and a second for J.T. Miller, seems extreme. And you want the pens to take Staal? A 5 million dollar cap dump pylon?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol people are making really stupid posts saying Brayden Schenn and Phil Kessel were traded for only ____, obviously using struggling players who broke out after being traded to purposely make it sound like those players today would only be worth said amount

Kessel was traded after having 60 points in 70 games and 61 points in 82 games. Schenn was traded after having 55 points last year. Those guys were't "struggling players who broke out". Using those guys makes a ton of sense as trade comparables for Miller, who is coming off a 56 point season.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I didnt know that a 55 point, versatile winger is classified as 'struggling' but hey, whatever works, i guess.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Phil Kessel wasn't struggling at all prior to the trade referred to in that post.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Miller for Schultz and Sprong. Better than whatever that proposal is.

Staal has negative value, asking for a top 4 Dman, two firsts and a second for J.T. Miller, seems extreme. And you want the pens to take Staal? A 5 million dollar cap dump pylon?

Schultz and Sprong? Uh... no...

Schultz is a RHD blueliner coming off a 50 point season, I mean what the hell...

If the Rangers and Pens existed in a different division and actually ever traded with each other, Schultz for Miller is about as even as it gets. Neither side would be adding anything of significance or cap dumps, etc.

OP has seriously overrated his own player to a comical degree.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Due to Kessel's NTC, he's not someone that anyone can compare his trade value to another player. When a player has a NTC that's as restrictive as Kessel's is, he's not getting moved for much. But I do always find it entertaining when posters use him as a baseline for other players. It's always a super easy way to show when someone doesn't have a f***ing clue what they're talking about.

Even if he were to be traded again, due to the fact he gets to pick 8 'go to' teams, PIT would get something pretty similar to what they gave up for him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The better picks from Leafs are huge dif from late picks from Pens.
And I have explained the other factors which I will not repeat which you chose to ignore.

There are NO OTHER FACTORS. It's a f***ing atrocious deal, and the fact that you keep defending it is hilarious. Pittsburgh doesn't need Miller. And they certainly wouldn't even contemplate trading for him at anything remotely resembling your idiotic ask. They'd just laugh and hang up the phone. There's absolutely no basis of a deal to be done around Miller and Pittsburgh giving up a pair of 1sts and a pair of 2nds that doesn't include New York adding substantially (and not shit like Marc Staal).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I disagree. He is at min a solid player, and that he can have first line linemates established argument for 1st line value.

And I make no concessions as to the price.
2 LATE picks that you have to develop and not be wrong on value for a guy 15OA who could have gone higher who is a known commodity!
Two late 1sts alone do not cut it here.
If we were saying Miller wanted out, or if no ?, Rangers could not afford him, or some other bonafide x factor, then, sure, the price goes down. But that is not the case, and that it is not the case can not be ignored.

Great then f***ing keep him.

Reactions: domaug

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
to the OP's offer: this may be the worst proposal I've ever seen.

first of all, you are the one offering JT Miller. Pens fans didn't make the offer for him.

second of all, the value. it's so lopsided in the Rangers favor that this thread should just be locked up immediately.

what a truly mind-blowing trade offer this is.

And then he keeps defending it! :laugh:

Reactions: domaug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad