Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The thing that’s hard in MTL regarding pressure and expectations is this; fans like their « Warrior types », balls to the wall players. Whether that type has talent (Saku) or not (Begin), fans loves those styles but hate the players that aren’t high energy (Ryder, Ribs types).

Roy is the low energy type that does know what he’s doing on the ice and that does the small things like patience, positioning and cerebral way of approaching his game. He’s going to be so polarizing… Any fan that’s been around for a solid amount of time knows this. I’m not even going to adress the other factor..

I hope he’s ready for this because it gets to them before long. He’s going to make the NHL no doubt and I hope the fanbase can let him be who he is.

They were hard on Ryder because he was so one dimensional and Ribeiro was a head case who was more of a polarizing player than a hated player as he had as many avid supporters as he had haters.

They seemed to really like Toffoli and loved Damphousse who was a cerebral player who slowed the game down. Kovalev also played the game at a slow pace and despite his frustrating inconsistency was loved by the majority of the fans. As long as Roy is producing and/or exciting the fans with his slick hands and exceptional vision he should be just fine. Hab fans love skill above all else and are starving for a skilled forward group that they can brag about. They are tired of trying to win 2-1 on the backs of their defence and goaltender. Don't get me wrong, Hab fans want to win more than anything but they really want to do it with more flash than they have in the last 30 years. I think Roy is part of the solution and as long as he is making plays they will love him.

Reactions: yianik and Gustave

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
A lot of it looks to be the knee bend to me.. like he's a very upright skater right now and that will hinder the amount of power he can generate.

I think that's why there's some differing opinions on his skating because when he does bend and exert effort he can provide some speed outputs that are encouraging.

It is definitely a posture/gait issue but it is not something that he does by choice, I suspect most of his issues are in his hips as well as his ankle flexion which will always likely limit him if that is the case. He has improved since we drafted him but he is still too stiff and does not generate enough acceleration because his natural body mechanics just don't allow him to sink his hips enough imo to create the force that is required to propel him forward. His IQ should mask most of this issue much in the same way that Toffoli has managed to do so I am not too concerned.

Reactions: montreal

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
His first game was underwhelming, but it's a kid's first game. That's most likely going to be the case.

My only exposure to him has been the WJC because I don't watch Laval, but last night against NJ he looked a lot like the player he was in that tournament. Making things happen, being offensive-minded. Not only was his goal a beauty, but it's a play that doesn't happen very often for rookies because they're trying to take care of D first.

I like the fact that he takes chances and he always seems to be about attacking. We need more players like that.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The thing that’s hard in MTL regarding pressure and expectations is this; fans like their « Warrior types », balls to the wall players. Whether that type has talent (Saku) or not (Begin), fans loves those styles but hate the players that aren’t high energy (Ryder, Ribs types).

Roy is the low energy type that does know what he’s doing on the ice and that does the small things like patience, positioning and cerebral way of approaching his game. He’s going to be so polarizing… Any fan that’s been around for a solid amount of time knows this. I’m not even going to adress the other factor..

I hope he’s ready for this because it gets to them before long. He’s going to make the NHL no doubt and I hope the fanbase can let him be who he is.
People here used to say Price didn’t care because he didn’t throw tantrums. That was their idea of displaying passion…

Jul 6, 2016
His first game was underwhelming, but it's a kid's first game. That's most likely going to be the case.

My only exposure to him has been the WJC because I don't watch Laval, but last night against NJ he looked a lot like the player he was in that tournament. Making things happen, being offensive-minded. Not only was his goal a beauty, but it's a play that doesn't happen very often for rookies because they're trying to take care of D first.

I like the fact that he takes chances and he always seems to be about attacking. We need more players like that.
He had played the night before in Laval and he was super nervous.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
They were hard on Ryder because he was so one dimensional and Ribeiro was a head case who was more of a polarizing player than a hated player as he had as many avid supporters as he had haters.

They seemed to really like Toffoli and loved Damphousse who was a cerebral player who slowed the game down. Kovalev also played the game at a slow pace and despite his frustrating inconsistency was loved by the majority of the fans. As long as Roy is producing and/or exciting the fans with his slick hands and exceptional vision he should be just fine. Hab fans love skill above all else and are starving for a skilled forward group that they can brag about. They are tired of trying to win 2-1 on the backs of their defence and goaltender. Don't get me wrong, Hab fans want to win more than anything but they really want to do it with more flash than they have in the last 30 years. I think Roy is part of the solution and as long as he is making plays they will love him.
I’ve been burned so much by the whole Richer saga that I only can see that pattern repeating regardless of talent. Damn right Kovy was a hugely popular guy, but remember his last year and you just felt the discourse coming… His production was his saving grace, and talent (on an unseen level since) was capable of catching the eye of the more normal fans, which we don’t represent on this boards.

It’s burned into my brain from my childhood playing from MAHG to midget; at the arena when you grow up in Quebec (I cannot speak other than from my blue collar upbringing here) you ONLY here this; travaille plus fort, donne tout ce que t’as, arrête de niaiser avec le puck, and of course aweille criss bouge :laugh: That’s like 80% of the comments in the stands. People see hockey that way, I can’t say otherwise.

Meaning in relation to Wawa, whom I’m a huge fan of btw, that what he usually does is more Ryder like than Saku like. Yes talent will give him a bigger leeway and production will be key. It’s going to be the end all be all for his style of play. “Au moins il score”, (meaning lit’s ok if he scores”) because his display in the WJC won’t be his usual way of playing 82 games in a season.

I’ll be behind him regardless, coming from where he’s from and his road back to the prospect he was in AAA, I can’t help but cheer for him.

Reactions: themilosh

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Gotta keep CC-NS-JS together. CC and JS are starting to click. Roy can play with Dach and whomever.
There will be additions. Roy can probably play with Dach, but Dach may also excel with fast players like Newhook and another fast player.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
absolutely. Maybe he caps out as a solid complimentary top 6er who gets you 50-60. That would be great all in all but no one should be shocked if he's more than that. This kid has wildly excelled everywhere he's played since drafted. Big numbers.

He literally has one weakness that isn't as weak as many make it out to be while everything else is elite or borders on. This kid could be a huge part of the core going forward. It doesn't require much outlandishness or imagination to think he could be a special player.

I've said for awhile that I'd love another high end forward but I can very well see a scenario that what we have now COULD be good enough to get us into contender status.
I've said for a while that Montreal needs two more high end forwards and, assuming Roy becomes one of those, Montreal would really be in a great position with all their assets serving to get the ONE missing forward, whether at the draft(s),or via a trade.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
XXX - Dach - Roy
Newhook - Beck - Anderson
RHP - Evans - Heineman

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - Struble
A. Xhekaj - Mailloux

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Its funny to see all our posters preaching for patience yet have Hudson and Reinbacher on the team next year.

This team needs to grow before you add too much. I feal next year the D pairing will be similar to this year except you will see Xhekaj and Mailloux on the third pair!

As for the forward i like your linup above. Specially a line with Newhook, Beck (if he is ready) and Anderson.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I've said for a while that Montreal needs two more high end forwards and, assuming Roy becomes one of those, Montreal would really be in a great position with all their assets serving to get the ONE missing forward, whether at the draft(s),or via a trade.

XXX - Dach - Roy
RHP - Evans - Heineman

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - Struble
A. Xhekaj - Mailloux

Gallagher, Ylonen, Matheson, Savard, Armia, Dvorak, Harris, Kovacevic, all gone !

Is that lineup for the 2026 campaign? I guess it's possible if Hughes is shrewd enough with the assets.

I guess you also see Farrell, Kidney, and Mesar as busting.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
So?

Poehling was far more visible in just his first game than Suzuki and Caufield were in their first several nhl games.
No, but I knit a little. lol

,,,,,,,,,but but but people are saying you can't look impressive with so little ice time. lol

Remind me again what Ryan Poehling did in his very first NHL game again? don't bother, got it here,3 goals and shootout winner. Looks like you can be impressive in an NHL debut after all, contrary to so many insightful individuals. lol

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Its funny to see all our posters preaching for patience yet have Hudson and Reinbacher on the team next year.

This team needs to grow before you add too much. I feal next year the D pairing will be similar to this year except you will see Xhekaj and Mailloux on the third pair!

As for the forward i like your linup above. Specially a line with Newhook, Beck (if he is ready) and Anderson.

Special prospects timelines are generally shorter.

There's no guarantee either of those guys are on the team next year but it's not farfetched at all.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

XXX - Dach - Roy
RHP - Evans - Heineman

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - Struble
A. Xhekaj - Mailloux

How do you propose that we remove Gallagher?

I was foolishly yelled at for suggesting that we attempt to move Gallagher when he got off to a good start by the usual horde on this board but he is almost immovable again now.

Reactions: Sagikev and mdk

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Pretty impressed with how he’s just walked into a 12-13 solid minutes a night, and this is him acclimating. Sky’s the limit and the floor is pretty safe, voila, another NHLer.

Reactions: Sagikev

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
As ridiculous as this statement is,
I can't believe I have to point out that 1 is 30 games into his Pro career and is 20 yrs old.
And the other is 22 yrs old playing in his 4th year of Pro hockey.
So much for ridiculous takes but over the moon with glee that you have the time to address that of which you deem ridiculous,you must be very busy considering the abundance. lol
Actually, you're the one being ridiculous if you can't even admit that Roy was invisible those first 2 games. Shame shame shame,shame on you. lol

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
So much for ridiculous takes but over the moon with glee that you have the time to address that of which you deem ridiculous,you must be very busy considering the abundance. lol
Actually, you're the one being ridiculous if you can't even admit that Roy was invisible those first 2 games. Shame shame shame,shame on you. lol
Lol, wellp, all I can really say to this is
ok.png

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yep. Bad contract by Bergy. Not taking a thing away from Gallagher. But that was a terrible deal.
Yeah few months of improved play wasn’t going to suddenly make teams reach out to us.

Gallagher was a great player for us. All heart. But there are a lot of miles on him. Even in his early 30s his best play is long behind him. And it’s not like he’s going to improve. Like it or not he’s not going anywhere.

Three more years at 6 and a half? Good luck.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Yeah few months of improved play wasn’t going to suddenly make teams reach out to us.

Gallagher was a great player for us. All heart. But there are a lot of miles on him. Even in his early 30s his best play is long behind him. And it’s not like he’s going to improve. Like it or not he’s not going anywhere.
Yep, it's true. The only fortunate part in context, is that we won't need the cap space for a while until we're ready to make a move towards being a competitive team. There should be buyout options I believe. But I suck at deciphering cap-lingo, lol

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Yep, it's true. The only fortunate part in context, is that we won't need the cap space for a while until we're ready to make a move towards being a competitive team. There should be buyout options I believe. But I suck at deciphering cap-lingo, lol

It shouldn't be too difficult for the habs to pay off two teams to help retain on and buyout gallagher. Unless Hughes really f***s up, we're going to have a glut of 2nds, 3rds and B prospects we don't even need. Gally is likely pressbox furniture next year.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It shouldn't be too difficult for the habs to pay off two teams to help retain on and buyout gallagher. Unless Hughes really f***s up, we're going to have a glut of 2nds, 3rds and B prospects we don't even need. Gally is likely pressbox furniture next year.
Honestly, he’s not hurting us anyway. Rebuilding club, fills a spot, plays with heart… I think he’ll have another year with us and that’s fine based on where we are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad