Player Discussion: Josh Morrissey

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If not for Morrissey's play, where would we be?
A rookie coming in heralded as an offensive weapon comes out andplays excellent D...his O game is coming around and I have no doubt he will be one of the higher scoring D men in the league in three seasons. He will qb the PP one day.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I was at the game tonight and there was a play where Morrissey just closed the gap on an Avs player trying to go wide - maybe it was just the angle from where I was sitting but it was astounding how fast he moved. I'll try and find it when the game comes up on GCL in a couple of days.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Morrissey is so good positionally, the way he closes gaps on attackers is just fun to watch. He and Trouba have been a blast to watch together, so great to see.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't get how people can go this far off the results. I get leeway to the eye test and how numbers are not omniscient but some stuff is so far out of left field it's scary.

Maybe the interpretation of the data is flawed?

I'm being treated like I'm resisting indoctrination into some cult. I will continue to question these new stats until they align more with what I am seeing.

There is simple data which can't be questioned, but when people start taking that black and white data and crafting these new methods of calculation and interpreting measurement (and I'll add people who are most likely not scientists) and expect everyone to just fall in line and believe it's accurate and sound well sorry I am not going to just drink the koolaid, especially when these new metrics tell a story that is inconsistent to what I am seeing.

There have been lots of metrics, ideas and beliefs that we have adopted in our history that have been proven false later on, things that we thought were undeniable fact. Like the earth being flat for instance.

The amount of time we have been using these statistics (embryonic, really) coupled with the fact that hockey is an incredibly hard sport to measure and interpret throws more doubt into the validity of these new metrics. Everyday I see another fancy metric, chart or graph that has been produced to explain another scenario. I liken it to 'fake news' where we have a million websites and bloggers purporting to be journalists. When there is no vetting, you have no idea what you are really going to get.

'Eye test' has to be the biggest load of malarkey excuse to debunk peoples opinions I've ever seen around here. I understand the principles of bias, I'd even agree the casual or uneducated fan is more susceptible to it but to suggest that everyone is the same and no one has the ability to analyze in a fair way is hokum.

I am not an expert in measurement or metrics but in my line of work, we use them every day. I am not afraid of them and I realize what an incredible tool they can be. I just think in hockey we have totally gone off the rails with it.

I know you are making a living from this stuff garret, so you are not going to like this post but I feel like I need to defend myself. I don't like feeling insulted or disrespected just because I am not all in on something new that I feel, while is interesting and has a lot of potential, still has a long way to go to become a standard like the stats in baseball for instance.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
yeah I hope josh is enough to change trouba's mind! If trouba stays our future is looking really good!

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
yeah I hope josh is enough to change trouba's mind! If trouba stays our future is looking really good!

And if trouba wants to leave we are in trouble. But at least his value very high. No reason to think werenski for trouba straight up isn't a fair deal, small add gets er done.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So they are just interviewing Matty P on the season ending show and the subject turned to Morrissey and MP was just gushing. He talked about how JMo battles the bigs guys like Benn and Getzy and how he constantly comes away with the puck......then he said "when was the last time you saw him make a mistake"? he went on to say "he always makes the right play" (and that is so tough to do).

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I hope he joins Marky Mark on team Canada

Trouba just said he Helly (and Copp) were joining team USA. Then Jacob said whoops I am not sure I was suppose to say that (about Copp).

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Biggest surprise of the season for me, I expected Laine to score and Ehlers to progress, but I had no idea he would be so good.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Laine was an amazing gift to the team.
Trouba played incredibly well.
Scheifele was a PPG top 5-10 centre
Wheels had an amazing season
Etc.

The biggest + to me for this season? A 13th overall pick that is now in our line-up, and playing 1st line minutes incredibly competently. What a freakin' find. I absolutely LOVE his game - composed, hits, moves the puck well, and is incredibly smart with all his decisions.

:yo:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I was starting to question, at the beginning of this season, if Josh had the tools to play at this level. He was getting beaten to pucks consistently, seemed indecisive and hesitant, and small.

Something flicked on, because he was none of those things this season. He was one of our most consistent player this season.

Listening to his exit interview, it sounds like he wants to be here long term.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I for one was never worried about JoMo. He always came a cross as a thinker/feel player that needed to first adapt to his surroundings and establishing a foundation before excelling. I was one of the few who thought he might be able to play in the top 4 this year. I however didn't expect it to be right off the bat, nor did I expect him to grow into a first pairing player as a rookie. The kid has all the tools and the smarts to be an all around rock of a dmen. I don't expect 50 points from him like Buff and maybe Trouba but 35 points while being excellent in all facets is probably exactly what we need to compliment the more offensive guys like Buff and Trouba. Now we need to go out and get another player of his ilk to play with Buffm

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I was starting to question, at the beginning of this season, if Josh had the tools to play at this level. He was getting beaten to pucks consistently, seemed indecisive and hesitant, and small.

Something flicked on, because he was none of those things this season. He was one of our most consistent player this season.

Listening to his exit interview, it sounds like he wants to be here long term.

I disagree. From the very first drill on the very first day of training camp he was a different player. He was not looking weak and small at any point this season

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I disagree. From the very first drill on the very first day of training camp he was a different player. He was not looking weak and small at any point this season

100% agreed. From game one, he fulfilled the promise he showed at lower levels. He showed an aggressiveness that typically takes him a fair number of games to display. He's at his best when he plays with an edge, and I think we saw from game one on.

We may have some front office issues, but the selection of Morrissey at 13 isn't one of them. When you can draft a 1st pairing defenseman from that position, you're doing ok in the first round.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
100% agreed. From game one, he fulfilled the promise he showed at lower levels. He showed an aggressiveness that typically takes him a fair number of games to display. He's at his best when he plays with an edge, and I think we saw from game one on.

We may have some front office issues, but the selection of Morrissey at 13 isn't one of them. When you can draft a 1st pairing defenseman from that position, you're doing ok in the first round.

Meanwhile on HF Jets (and Jets Twitter, and Arctic Ice Hockey, and everywhere else self-appointed experts were experting) there was overwhelming angst about the 'mushy middle'. That may have even been the year Lawless picked up the 'no man's land' narrative.

Today, this team needs Josh Morrissey more than it needs Nathan MacKinnon.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Meanwhile on HF Jets (and Jets Twitter, and Arctic Ice Hockey, and everywhere else self-appointed experts were experting) there was overwhelming angst about the 'mushy middle'. That may have even been the year Lawless picked up the 'no man's land' narrative.

Today, this team needs Josh Morrissey more than it needs Nathan MacKinnon.

The mushy middle has also found talents like Trouba and Ehlers over Bennett, Yakupov, Murray, Rhenheurt etc... I have no issue with how we draft in the first.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
What a pleasant surprise Josh has turned out to be! He acquitted himself quite well on the second pairing and when required, he played excellent as the number 2 defenseman on the Jets. If Trouba can be locked down to a long term extension in 2018, The Jets top pair might be set for the next 8 years.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Could Josh Morrissey some day become a No.1 Defender(Like Top 10)

I know Morrissey had an amazing year for a rookie and was one of are sharpest defenders in his rookie season, my question is, knowing he's already in his first season cracked the Top Pairing will he ever become a No.1 Defender in the League(again, Basically a consistent Top Ten) and if so what does he have to improve now to jump to that level.

Thanks for reading, please comment below and let me know what you think.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Sorry, but I think all of this talk about Trouba, the goaltending and Maurice has obscured what Morrissey is doing. He was great again last night with a partner that was treating the puck like a hand grenade for the first ten minutes. He shuts down so many plays by the opposition, that I don't think we realize the impact he is having. It's hard to get excited about an opposing scoring opportunity that doesn't happen, but he probably does that half a dozen times a game. It's unfortunate that he will never have the profile (or probably the contract) of a Trouba or Buff, but JM may be our best, and certainly our most consistent d-man. Couldn't be happier with how he has developed.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sorry, but I think all of this talk about Trouba, the goaltending and Maurice has obscured what Morrissey is doing. He was great again last night with a partner that was treating the puck like a hand grenade for the first ten minutes. He shuts down so many plays by the opposition, that I don't think we realize the impact he is having. It's hard to get excited about an opposing scoring opportunity that doesn't happen, but he probably does that half a dozen times a game. It's unfortunate that he will never have the profile (or probably the contract) of a Trouba or Buff, but JM may be our best, and certainly our most consistent d-man. Couldn't be happier with how he has developed.
He was really strong in all facets. He's quietly having an outstanding season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad