Player Discussion: Josh Morrissey

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
His shot suppression numbers track favorably with rookie years of some of the elite shot-suppressing young defensemen in the league like Slavin, Pesche, Ekman-Larsson, Lindholm (granted in case of Ekman-Larsson and Lindholm he is like 2 years older in his rookie season than their rookie year). If he takes that one extra step, we could have one hell of a player on our hands. The only thing that I am cautious about is that we can't be sure how much of this is the "Buff effect".

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
His shot suppression numbers track favorably with rookie years of some of the elite shot-suppressing young defensemen in the league like Slavin, Pesche, Ekman-Larsson, Lindholm (granted in case of Ekman-Larsson and Lindholm he is like 2 years older in his rookie season than their rookie year). If he takes that one extra step, we could have one hell of a player on our hands. The only thing that I am cautious about is that we can't be sure how much of this is the "Buff effect".

The experiment I'd like to see: put him with Trouba. Run Enstrom - Buff, Morrissey - Trouba. I think the two of them could be dynamic together.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Arguably our third best defender, depending on people's thoughts on Enstrom.

I think the two have very similar WAR right now. Enstrom better XPM (improving team goal differentials), and Morrissey better BPM (individual contributions like scoring).

By my eye-test he has been our best D since the 1st game until recently Trouba overtook him. That despite almost 0 offence to start. Now that Morrissey is beginning to score he is staying close behind Trouba. Enstrom seems to have bounced back from his horrible period of a couple of weeks ago but is still 3rd.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The experiment I'd like to see: put him with Trouba. Run Enstrom - Buff, Morrissey - Trouba. I think the two of them could be dynamic together.

:laugh: If we are going to experiment put him with Stu for a while and see how his performance compares to Trouba with Enstrom. :laugh: That would be properly scientific with a consistent control group.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
By my eye-test he has been our best D since the 1st game until recently Trouba overtook him. That despite almost 0 offence to start. Now that Morrissey is beginning to score he is staying close behind Trouba. Enstrom seems to have bounced back from his horrible period of a couple of weeks ago but is still 3rd.

Tragic undervalue of Byfuglien due to a few plays... :shakehead

Last edited:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Tragic undervalue of Byfuglien do to a few plays... :shakehead

You should tell Lawless. Last week he put forth Byfuglien for Fleury 'and a defenceman'.

(That would be minus Hellebuyck, too, because you have to protect Fleury.)

:loony:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
You should tell Lawless. Last week he put forth Byfuglien for Fleury 'and a defenceman'.

(That would be minus Hellebuyck, too, because you have to protect Fleury.)

:loony:

200.gif

Last edited:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I've really been impressed with Morrissey's play so far this year, particularly now that his offense is starting to materialize more. His play through December was pretty cautious, which was fine (and understandable) , but the Jets need him to be more assertive creating offense and his confidence appears to be growing doing that.

I too am still a little hesitant to get to ahead of myself with him until I see his impact away from Buff. Would love to get a look at a Trouba/Morrissey pairing.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Tragic undervalue of Byfuglien due to a few plays... :shakehead

You claim its due to a few plays.

It's due to a chronic set of behaviours, not 'a few plays'.

It's exacerbated this year due to the fact his 'good plays' have been less frequent, and is 'few plays' are substantially more.

Byfuglien is our 5th best defenseman this year.

If he was in fact our best defenseman, that would partially explain why our team bleeds goals.

Morrissey is already a much better DEFENSEMAN than Byfuglien ainec

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Morrissey benefits a lot from playing with Buff, as does anyone. The season is almost lost as it is, if it continues in that direction I hope Maurice pairs Trouba and Morrissey together and gets Josh some more special teams minutes to really get a better feel for how he'll handle things.

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
I like that Buff is letting Morrissey take the puck up the ice. It's keeping the opponents guessing. 4 on 4 and Morrissey is on the ice with Buff. And who goes all the way to the other end? I'm thinking the coaching staff is now giving him the option to jump up when he sees an opportunity.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I loved where he stepped in from the point and toe dragged the a Blues player then did a very quick give and go sequence (can't remember with who) but misses the shot.....it was a brilliant play that led to a grade A scoring chance and if it had ended up in the net we would all still be talking about it. He just keeps getting better.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I like that Buff is letting Morrissey take the puck up the ice. It's keeping the opponents guessing. 4 on 4 and Morrissey is on the ice with Buff. And who goes all the way to the other end? I'm thinking the coaching staff is now giving him the option to jump up when he sees an opportunity.

Yep, Morrissey was the catalyst on the Laine goal, prime reason why it's ok for your D to be behind the other team's net sometimes. Just a great play.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Quick bump for my pick for JOYT (Jet of the Year) -- with some nice quotes from articles today. First, from Mo:

“Josh Morrissey may, defensively, have been our best defenceman this year,” Maurice acknowledged.

Then from JMo himself:

“It’s funny, back when I got drafted that was something that always had been talked about in the media, was Troubs and I eventually playing together,” Morrissey said. “We complement each other well. I hope to be able to do that with him for a long time. That’d be fun.”

Fun indeed. Here's hoping. For a rookie D-man he's played brilliantly, IMO -- consistent, flexible, responsible and super smart, all the way up to the top pairing.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
You claim its due to a few plays.

It's due to a chronic set of behaviours, not 'a few plays'.

It's exacerbated this year due to the fact his 'good plays' have been less frequent, and is 'few plays' are substantially more.

Byfuglien is our 5th best defenseman this year.

If he was in fact our best defenseman, that would partially explain why our team bleeds goals.

Morrissey is already a much better DEFENSEMAN than Byfuglien ainec

I get jokes.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
(...)

Fun indeed. Here's hoping. For a rookie D-man he's played brilliantly, IMO -- consistent, flexible, responsible and super smart, all the way up to the top pairing.

He's been a really positive point this season - the one thing I'd add to your accolades is the fact that he's so calm, yet makes quick decisions. He also seems to have Entrom's ability to direct players when going into corners for puck retrieval, and usually comes out with the puck as well. Enstrom's good at this, but Morrissey's got a bit more size/strength which also helps.

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
I wanted to post something here after every game. But I would be posting the same thing after each game. He's so consistent.

The one thing I've noticed is that the opposing team is starting to go after him. Bigger guys wants to fight him?! When he was playing with Buff, that was rare or Buff would have his back right away.

So here are my thoughts.
1. What does Josh do to irritate the opposing teams?
2. When playing with Buff, does Buff actually makes it clear (verbally/physically) that they don't touch Josh?
3. Should Trouba be stepping in and risk getting hurt or penalized?
4. Next year, besides Lowry, who would be able to "keep the peace on the ice"?

Some of these points may belong on another thread. I just feel Josh finds ways to get on to the opposing team's skin. And it shows when they go after him. He's our most consistent Dman. He's going to need some protection on the ice.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I wanted to post something here after every game. But I would be posting the same thing after each game. He's so consistent.

The one thing I've noticed is that the opposing team is starting to go after him. Bigger guys wants to fight him?! When he was playing with Buff, that was rare or Buff would have his back right away.

So here are my thoughts.
1. What does Josh do to irritate the opposing teams?
2. When playing with Buff, does Buff actually makes it clear (verbally/physically) that they don't touch Josh?
3. Should Trouba be stepping in and risk getting hurt or penalized?
4. Next year, besides Lowry, who would be able to "keep the peace on the ice"?

Some of these points may belong on another thread. I just feel Josh finds ways to get on to the opposing team's skin. And it shows when they go after him. He's our most consistent Dman. He's going to need some protection on the ice.

I remember when Kelowna played Brandon two years ago in the WHL finals when him and Hawryluk had quite a chippy battle going on...the calm play should not allow one to forget Morrissey can be pretty physical when needed...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I remember when Kelowna played Brandon two years ago in the WHL finals when him and Hawryluk had quite a chippy battle going on...the calm play should not allow one to forget Morrissey can be pretty physical when needed...

It's not really a surprise other teams get mad at him. He's very good at catching people off guard with hard hits. After Laine got dumped against the Wild he took a run at Coyle. He's put guys like Malkin onto their butt and is Fiesty in the corners and in front of the net.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It's so good to see this kid keep developing. At this time last year many were writing him off already. I was still really high on him (just like I am on Helly) :) and I felt he could be part of our future, and here he is developing right along as I had hoped. This kid is really an important piece, if he didn't pan out we'd be toast. Im hoping Trouba sees the two of them as a top pair for years to come and signs long term. JMo is one of my fave players.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
His WAR trajectory has been going ^^^

He's a coach's dream as far as D's are concerned. Skates well, moves the puck, plays with his head up, good IQ, shoots the puck well, can hit, is poised, is never too high or low, good gap, good stick, has patience. This kid will only get better once he gets more PP time and starts focusing on offense now that his defensive part of the game is improving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad