Player Discussion: Josh Morrissey

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
Kid is an absolute stud and I’m most excited about seeing him in the playoffs, kid looks like one those guys that can log 30 minutes without losing a step.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He was really strong in all facets. He's quietly having an outstanding season.

Agreed. He also is very unlucky not to have more points. He's flashed elite vision and playnaking on a number of instances this year that haven' been capitalized on.

The seam pass to Tanev for a tap in. The slap pass to Connor alone in the slot. The perfect shot for a rebound to Chef for a glorious chance last night are just a few examples.

I think it' only a matter of time before the numbers start to follow. Imo he' our Lindholm type dmen. Incredibly valuable and we should be able to pick him up long term at a pretty solid rate. Somewhere between 4.5 and 5.4 for 6 to 7 years. I' bet he signs foe somewhere around 5 for 7.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Agree with all of the above. Watching him live his elite 4-way skating and IQ are especially noticeable -- his puck-retrieval skills must be among the league's best. Great anticipation and first pass, rarely turns it over, superb vision in the O-zone. I don't understand why he isn't used more as a PP quarterback over Myers. Absolutely love watching him play, and I think he's well on his way to being the Keith-like D he seems to aspire to -- minus the tendency to lose control and commit random acts of violence on opposing skaters. Cant believe he isn't more lauded, around the league but also by Jets fans.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Love his development, his poise, and play so far. Certainly a guy I hope the org is able to lock up for 7 or 8 years this summer.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
perhaps our defensive talent is deeper and better than some thought.

JoMo is developing into the type of defenseman every team needs.

Poolman will be on this team sooner rather than later.

even after all the trashing that Stanley has received around here, he is having a good major junior season. I think he will make the team but it may take longer than some.

with all this happening, can anyone justify the type of salary Trouba wants?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I'm not sure if you noticed how Josh man-handled McDavid last night? I was very impressed. Maybe our best D-man.

I realized it all game, after the game Doug MacLean said Trouba did so exceptional all game shutting McDavid down all night and then Sportnet re-played all the footage and it was Morrissey doing so... It really shows how unknown Morrissey is because even professional hockey broadcasters don’t know his name even after he shut down Hockey’s most prolific Scorer and overall Player... Just wait because once this kid has time QB’ing the PP and we get into the playoffs he’s gonna be recognized as the next Duncan Keith....

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
He is definitely our best all around defenseman now , would love to see him and Buff as our #1 pairing but Trouba might take his skates and stick and go home , AGAIN . :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I realized it all game, after the game Doug MacLean said Trouba did so exceptional all game shutting McDavid down all night and then Sportnet re-played all the footage and it was Morrissey doing so... It really shows how unknown Morrissey is because even professional hockey broadcasters don’t know his name even after he shut down Hockey’s most prolific Scorer and overall Player... Just wait because once this kid has time QB’ing the PP and we get into the playoffs he’s gonna be recognized as the next Duncan Keith....

They did the exact same thing after the first game against the Oil as well, giving Trouba all the credit but to be fair Trouba had a heck of a game that night though.

I have a hard time understanding how Morrissey continues to fly under the radar.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He is definitely our best all around defenseman now , would love to see him and Buff as our #1 pairing but Trouba might take his skates and stick and go home , AGAIN . :laugh:

I like using Buff in a secondary role in order to demolish secondary matchups with some of our other talented forwards. I think we just need to find him the right partner. Trouba has been pretty solid at shutting down the other teams best with Morrissey this year and I really don't see a need to change that up.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
He seems to carry whoever he plays with...very impressive for a sophomore. He just makes so few mistakes compared to all other D men.

Except positional ones. Despite he is not doing those mistakes that are easy to spot as he plays it safe he tends to misplace himself occasionally on the d-zone, which costs us goals against. I think that is just about lack of experience, so one day he might be the best defender for the Jets, but against the popular opinion on HFJets the day is not today.

Morrissey is very well rounded, but currently cannot match eg. Byfuglien and Myers offensively or Byfuglien, Kulikov and Enström defensively.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think it' only a matter of time before the numbers start to follow. Imo he' our Lindholm type dmen. Incredibly valuable and we should be able to pick him up long term at a pretty solid rate. Somewhere between 4.5 and 5.4 for 6 to7 yeras. I' bet he signs foe somewhere around 5 for 7.

Well I agree with this,so then I ask the posters -so what is is Trouba worth ?
To me, Morrisssey has outplayed Trouba, so how much should the Jet's pay him, or is this going to be decided by arbitrators ??

I think around $ 5.5 m over 5 years, and not much more. I'd be surprised to see Chevy going much more than $ 6 mil on Trouba-- and I believe he wants $ 7 mil to 7.5 ??? Herein lies the problem.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Well I agree with this,so then I ask the posters -so what is is Trouba worth ?
To me, Morrisssey has outplayed Trouba, so how much should the Jet's pay him, or is this going to be decided by arbitrators ??

I think around $ 5.5 m over 5 years, and not much more. I'd be surprised to see Chevy going much more than $ 6 mil on Trouba-- and I believe he wants $ 7 mil to 7.5 ??? Herein lies the problem.
How can it be so hard to understand that Trouba and Morrissey are not comparable in terms of their upcoming contracts?

One is coming off his ELC, whereas the other is coming off his bridge deal. You will need to pay the latter guy more for his UFA years, which there are more of in his deal. RFA years are cheaper, which will affect the former guy's contract.

It's not that hard a concept to grasp, is it?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Except positional ones. Despite he is not doing those mistakes that are easy to spot as he plays it safe he tends to misplace himself occasionally on the d-zone, which costs us goals against. I think that is just about lack of experience, so one day he might be the best defender for the Jets, but against the popular opinion on HFJets the day is not today.

Morrissey is very well rounded, but currently cannot match eg. Byfuglien and Myers offensively or Byfuglien, Kulikov and Enström defensively.

He's superior to Myers offensively by quite a bit but Myers has been handed PP minutes by the bucket load. He's also better than Buff in his own end.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How can it be so hard to understand that Trouba and Morrissey are not comparable in terms of their upcoming contracts?

One is coming off his ELC, whereas the other is coming off his bridge deal. You will need to pay the latter guy more for his UFA years, which there are more of in his deal. RFA years are cheaper, which will affect the former guy's contract.

It's not that hard a concept to grasp, is it?

No kidding plus extrapolating a players worth compared to another based on one year worth of performance is silly. Sure Morrissey has been superior this year but Jacob has a pretty established track record in the league including last season where he played at a level the Josh hasn't hit yet (Not saying he wont hit it).

When it comes to contracts it will be about CBA leverage (Trouba has arb rights), amount of UFA years bought as well as about projection.

• Trouba has more CBA leverage through the arbitration process, for an equivalent long term deal we are buying more UFA years.
  • Trouba has more of an NHL track record then Morrissey so there is less uncertainty in projecting future performance.
I believe Morrissey has all the tools and smarts to be a very good all around number 1 dmen but he still has a ways to go and as such the Jets should be able to use their leverage to get him to a solid deal much like other young dmen.

Even in a down year Trouba is still performing as a top pairing dmen and is able to play against the other teams best. He also has a track record showing that he can perform at a top pairing level. I think the org is pretty confident that he is a top pairing dmen now and moving forward. The uncertainty for his contract is where in the spectrum of top pairing dmen he falls. Is he closer to last years elite performance or closer to this years performance. But he has enough leverage and certainty in his performance to commend top pairing pay.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Was Trouba worth $5M x 6 in the fall of 2016? I think everyone here would've been happy with that. The Jets were rumoured to be offering him $5.5M x 6. He ultimately signed for $3M x 2. To make up the equivalent to $5M x 6 he'd need to sign a deal worth $6M x 4 (or $6.75M x 4 if it was a $5.5M x 6 deal).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad