Prospect Info: Jordan Greenway (LW) - BU, NCAA - 50th Overall Pick, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
There is a lot of hand wringing on this thread. Every word out of Greenway's mouth is that he is excited to be a part of this organization.

"Poor Minnesota" is a weak construct of Minnesota fans. Milwaukee, Cleveland, San Diego, Houston, etc. That's poor. Twins delivered the goods, twice, and godammit, don't ever forget!

Baseball is the worst league of the four major sports (NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB). Vikings have 0 Super Bowls and 1 championship. Timberwolves have 0 championships. Wild have never made it the Cup Finals. Stars never won anything in Minnesota. Three titles among the four major sports. If you want a true comparison to Wisconsin you'll have to bite the bullet that the Packers have more titles than all of Minnesota's pro teams in their four Super Bowls and their 13 overall titles. Milwaukeee has an NBA title and currently has one of the best players in the league in Giannis Antetokounmpo. The Brewers always get screwed in terms of cap money to preserve their players they drafted and developed. MLB is a joke with their "soft" cap. Fielder, Gomez, Greinke, Sabathia. The Brewers would be so good if they had the cash to keep those players and others.

Now if you are talking overall quality in cities I'd much rather be in the twin cities than any of the cities you listed. I hear it's a nice place, though I only spent 30 minutes total in Minnesota on a connecting flight.

I think people are worried with KK signing in the KHL. I don't believe Greenway will pull a Justin Schultz.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Baseball is the worst league of the four major sports (NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB). Vikings have 0 Super Bowls and 1 championship. Timberwolves have 0 championships. Wild have never made it the Cup Finals. Stars never won anything in Minnesota. Three titles among the four major sports. If you want a true comparison to Wisconsin you'll have to bite the bullet that the Packers have more titles than all of Minnesota's pro teams in their four Super Bowls and their 13 overall titles. Milwaukeee has an NBA title and currently has one of the best players in the league in Giannis Antetokounmpo. The Brewers always get screwed in terms of cap money to preserve their players they drafted and developed. MLB is a joke with their "soft" cap. Fielder, Gomez, Greinke, Sabathia. The Brewers would be so good if they had the cash to keep those players and others.

Now if you are talking overall quality in cities I'd much rather be in the twin cities than any of the cities you listed. I hear it's a nice place, though I only spent 30 minutes total in Minnesota on a connecting flight.

I think people are worried with KK signing in the KHL. I don't believe Greenway will pull a Justin Schultz.

Greenway will want a year burned on his ELC after Olympics ( I'm pretty sure he has a spot ) and NCAA season over. I don't think anyway possible he'll sign a PTO. No reason for it.

The ball is in his court now.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

What does football, basketball or even baseball have to do with hockey? If we are trying to make a comparison between the two states/cities, then it is completely moot anyway since both are in flyover country. Leave it at that.

And I would be completely worried about Greenway pulling a Blake Wheeler or Mike Reilly. He will want to play at the elite level and if he keeps playing at the level he currently has in both college/worlds, then when it is time to make the move, his agent will tell him to go and sign elsewhere where he may have a better shot at more ice time at the NHL level as opposed to the AHL where the Wild are most assuredly going to want to put him for at least a season.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If I'm Greenway I for sure want to stay with a competitive team. How many can dish top 6 NHL minutes to a rookie and actually be a contender? I think he'd be given a shot in year, particularly if Zucker prices himself out of town. Greenway has given no indication other than he wants to win a championship at BU and turn pro. I'm not worried right now. There is zero reason to be riled up at this time.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Greenway will want a year burned on his ELC after Olympics ( I'm pretty sure he has a spot ) and NCAA season over. I don't think anyway possible he'll sign a PTO. No reason for it.

The ball is in his court now.

Not really his choice, the Wild still hold his rights another year... either he stays and goes with what Fletcher wants - which has pros and cons on either path, or he waits a whole year and goes ufa and is no closer to getting past the elc than he would otherwise, yet with a year less salary.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Not really his choice, the Wild still hold his rights another year... either he stays and goes with what Fletcher wants - which has pros and cons on either path, or he waits a whole year and goes ufa and is no closer to getting past the elc than he would otherwise, yet with a year less salary.

I really don't care if he'd burn an ELC year at the end of this year. It would make him an ideal bridge candidate. Burn 1 year, an AHL year, and a NHL bottom-6 year. He's past the contract slide age so it's not that big of a deal to me.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I really don't care if he'd burn an ELC year at the end of this year. It would make him an ideal bridge candidate. Burn 1 year, an AHL year, and a NHL bottom-6 year. He's past the contract slide age so it's not that big of a deal to me.

Never said I cared, I just said he doesn't have much of a choice in the matter. It depends what Fletcher wants.

Greenway gets no ultimate benefit either way in trying to force the issue.

The only reason it was brought up is because someone a few posts up says he doesn't see Greenway signing here at all if he doesn't get signed and played at the end of this coming season to burn that elc year.

He gets no benefit by not signing in the off-season if he only got a minor league tryout offer, and went back to college to sign elsewhere after.

It doesn't get him off the elc any time sooner anyway because of his age at this point. All it would do is cost himself a full season of salary.

Thus, he has no choice, and it's up to what Fletcher is willing to offer.

Last edited:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im not worried about greenway, granlund waited till the last second and still signed here. we have a top 10 team theres really no reason to worry. if we were a bottom ten team like the avs maybe.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Never said I cared, I just said he doesn't have much of a choice in the matter. It depends what Fletcher wants.

Greenway gets no ultimate benefit either way in trying to force the issue.

The only reason it was brought up is because someone a few posts up says he doesn't see Greenway signing here at all if he doesn't get signed and played at the end of this coming season to burn that elc year.

He gets no benefit by not signing in the off-season if he only got a minor league tryout offer, and went back to college to sign elsewhere after.

It doesn't get him off the elc any time sooner anyway because of his age at this point. All it would do is cost himself a full season of salary.

Thus, he has no choice, and it's up to what Fletcher is willing to offer.

Wrong.

After his Sr year it's a 2 year ELC deal not a 3 year deal. He can force CF hand and ask him to burn a year after Sr year , hence really a 1 yr deal and 1 yr closer to RFA ( see Hudson Fashing, Buf and John Hayden , Chgo )

If he plays out his Sr year ( 4th ) at BU he becomes an UFA the following Aug 15th.

If any NCAA player plays thru their Jr year if they went into NCAA as true Freshman they hold the advantage over any team.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Wild made room for this guy by trading Tuch. Those last two BU teams should have been in a title game. I have to respect that he wants another crack at it and also take him at his word that he's looking at this as his last college season.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wrong.

After his Sr year it's a 2 year ELC deal not a 3 year deal. He can force CF hand and ask him to burn a year after Sr year , hence really a 1 yr deal and 1 yr closer to RFA ( see Hudson Fashing, Buf and John Hayden , Chgo )

If he plays out his Sr year ( 4th ) at BU he becomes an UFA the following Aug 15th.

If any NCAA player plays thru their Jr year if they went into NCAA as true Freshman they hold the advantage over any team.

This is his junior year, not his senior year.

If he signs after his junior year, his elc ends at the same time as if he signs after his senior year. Meaning if Minnesota is only willing to sign him after the off-season starts, there is no benefit to him to hold out another year to sign after his senior year contract-wise. He still reaches the end of the elc on the same schedule either way, only then without a year's worth of salary in the bank.

If the Wild aren't willing to burn the year of the contract after this season, and Greenway is sincere about wanting to play here, there is zero benefit to him to wait another year, because no matter how it plays out, his elc ends at the same time if Fletcher chooses that HE doesn't want to burn the year now.

It's in Fletcher's hands, not Greenway's. The only thing about this in Greenway's hands is if he wants two more years in college and then walking via ufa... his elc ending date would still be exactly the same if he did.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
This is his junior year, not his senior year.

If he signs after his junior year, his elc ends at the same time as if he signs after his senior year. Meaning if Minnesota is only willing to sign him after the off-season starts, there is no benefit to him to hold out another year to sign after his senior year contract-wise. He still reaches the end of the elc on the same schedule either way, only then without a year's worth of salary in the bank.

If the Wild aren't willing to burn the year of the contract after this season, and Greenway is sincere about wanting to play here, there is zero benefit to him to wait another year, because no matter how it plays out, his elc ends at the same time if Fletcher chooses that HE doesn't want to burn the year now.

It's in Fletcher's hands, not Greenway's. The only thing about this in Greenway's hands is if he wants two more years in college and then walking via ufa... his elc ending date would still be exactly the same if he did.

You're totally missing the point.
If Greenway wants a year burnt and Cf doesn't do it, CF risk him going to Aug 15th following year. And ball is in Greenway hands period.
Why do you think CF and other GM's try to sign prospects after Soph year

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You're totally missing the point.
If Greenway wants a year burnt and Cf doesn't do it, CF risk him going to Aug 15th following year. And ball is in Greenway hands period.
Why do you think CF and other GM's try to sign prospects after Soph year

You are missing my point... you are acting as though it's automatic that if they don't burn his year, he's not signing period... yet everything he has said is he only wants one more college season. He plans on going pro after his junior year.

That means he's serious about playing here. His ONLY leverage would be to plan on not playing here at all, which as I stated, carries zero real benefit, as he gets 1 year less in salary and still ends his elc at the exact same time as if a year wasn't burned in the first place, so he has no real reason to seek such an outcome...

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Throw in Greenway and KK...maybe a Sokolov or someone like that it doesn't look that bad. Might have to look at drafting a first round dman in 2018 or 2019.

I still don't know about Greenway. Can't say I watch a lot of BU games, but man are his goal numbers underwhelming for a guy that should be a fixture in front of the net.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I still don't know about Greenway. Can't say I watch a lot of BU games, but man are his goal numbers underwhelming for a guy that should be a fixture in front of the net.

Depends on the coach and system. Look at Tuch's highlights. They park him in from of the goal and he is doing some great stuff there. I don't recall the Wild using him like that.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Depends on the coach and system. Look at Tuch's highlights. They park him in from of the goal and he is doing some great stuff there. I don't recall the Wild using him like that.

I don't know how many coaches would have systems that would prevent someone that is 6'5" and 230 lbs from driving the puck to the net if they wanted to.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Look at his number historically. He's never been a goal-scorer.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I don't know how many coaches would have systems that would prevent someone that is 6'5" and 230 lbs from driving the puck to the net if they wanted to.

Driving to the net and camping out in the crease aren't the same.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Don't his assists count for something? Why focus on his goals?

They do count, but if I'm looking at a 6'5" 230 pounder with skill, I'm simply underwhelmed at the totals. I'd like to see an ability to do everything, if possible, at the lower levels before projecting onward. Guy tops out at 10 college, what can you really be optimistic about at the NHL level?

Reactions: Tuntrui

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
They do count, but if I'm looking at a 6'5" 230 pounder with skill, I'm simply underwhelmed at the totals. I'd like to see an ability to do everything, if possible, at the lower levels before projecting onward. Guy tops out at 10 college, what can you really be optimistic about at the NHL level?

Luckily progression isn't linear. His totals aren't guaranteed to decrease when he makes the jump from NCAA to AHL or NHL. Lots of factors involved... More games, coaching style, player usage, etc.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Luckily progression isn't linear. His totals aren't guaranteed to decrease when he makes the jump from NCAA to AHL or NHL. Lots of factors involved... More games, coaching style, player usage, etc.

No, but are you telling me that his production is encouraging to you?

Same if Kaprizov was only scoring 5-10 goals over in Russia. The reactions to him staying would've been very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad