Prospect Info: Jordan Greenway (LW) - BU, NCAA - 50th Overall Pick, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Seems like a player who might be plateauing a bit in his junior season. My assumption was that his shooting percentage would be relatively high, thanks to his ability to get in close but it's less than 10% again. Still I think the shot volume is ok for a junior who's supposed to be one of the top prospects in college hockey. There's a lot of season left anyhow. He's obviously not a Connor, Keller, Eichel type player. The Oilers had Jujhar Khaira back in the lineup last night (2012 3rd rounder who played one season at Michigan Tech and went back to junior). Similar types, though Greenway is much more hyped. I hope a player like Khaira is his floor but I'm not 100% convinced. I still like this prospect but I hope he can pick up the intensity a little, he just doesn't seem to play at a high enough pace at times.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I have a hard time criticizing Greenway this year, I simply haven't sen him play. I can look at the stats, but those only tells part of the story.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Some of the same things were said about Tuch.

I do believe that guys with a power game take a little longer sometime. So much is getting stronger, developing elite balance, and figuring how to maximize effort - it just takes more energy to move at that high speed when you weigh 200+.

Tuch was a more highly ranked prospect going into his draft and is a more high-upside player today thanks to his development. Greenway can distribute the puck better probably; still all kinds of reasons to like his game and his projection.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Different games. Similar frames.

Blake Wheeler was almost written off. A guy who has been closer to a point per game player in the NHL the last few years than he was in college or the USHL.

Greenway i am sure has tried to slim down, bulk up and figure out the perfect system of strength and speed. It will take time.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Blake Wheeler was almost written off. A guy who has been closer to a point per game player in the NHL the last few years than he was in college or the USHL.

Greenway i am sure has tried to slim down, bulk up and figure out the perfect system of strength and speed. It will take time.
Add Backes and Coyle to Wheeler's name as bigger guys that are better scorers in the NHL than they were in NCAA

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Wheeler was traded in a very bad trade - maybe he had attitude issues at that tender age, maybe Peter Chiarelli is not very good at "trading." But Wheeler wasn't close to being written off - check his stats again if you need proof of his performance. He hit the ground running in the NHL and regressed slightly his next season (he was still fifth on the team in scoring). Greenway might do the same but he's not that close to Blake Wheeler's upside.

Backes was almost ppg as a freshman and over it after so not sure what he could have done better. Coyle only had the one season but he was solid too, pretty much identical freshman season to Greenway's.

Again not writing Greenway off and a middle-six prospect is still an asset.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Wheeler was traded in a very bad trade - maybe he had attitude issues at that tender age, maybe Peter Chiarelli is not very good at "trading." But Wheeler wasn't close to being written off - check his stats again if you need proof of his performance. He hit the ground running in the NHL and regressed slightly his next season (he was still fifth on the team in scoring). Greenway might do the same but he's not that close to Blake Wheeler's upside.

Backes was almost ppg as a freshman and over it after so not sure what he could have done better. Coyle only had the one season but he was solid too, pretty much identical freshman season to Greenway's.

I think he meant while Wheeler was still in US juniors and college he was more or less written off by a lot of people, as he never actually reached point-per-game status. I mean, 3 years at the U and no PPG seasons? Most people expect more offense from a 5th overall pick. I don't think anyone has written him off in his NHL career because, as you said, he hit the ground running.

Coyle sounds like a good comparable, as they both sound like big distributors who need to grow an attitude and bull their way around more, and aren't prolific college scorers.

When I watch Greenway play, I don't know how well he'll produce, but I do see an NHL player because nobody can win a board battle against him with his combination of size and hands. With the level of skill he has combined with his size, you really hope he puts it all together someday, because he could be a really unique player to watch.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site

Wheeler put up 35 points in 44 NCAA games as a junior, 4 years removed from his draft year. Down 3 points from the previous year. All the stat watchers had him mostly gone. Top picks that do not dominate the USHL, NCAA as a frehmen, sophmores, or as juniors dont get a lot of hype. Unless you watch them and understand ability arks.

Current wild players, had they not gone pro 4 years removed from draft.

Kunin would still be 3 years in the junior ranks before making his NHL debut.

Ek would be three years away from the NHL.

Under the same time. This would Matt Dumba's rookie year.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Interesting note in Pronman's article today at The Athletic. Apparently Greenway has been changed to Center at BU the past month. He hadn't seen him play the position, yet. But he said reviews of it were mixed.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Interesting note in Pronman's article today at The Athletic. Apparently Greenway has been changed to Center at BU the past month. He hadn't seen him play the position, yet. But he said reviews of it were mixed.
That seems a little strange. I'd be curious to read some of the thoughts on that. Anyone here seen him play this year?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

He's not taking many draws. He certainly won't play there at the next level but the coach is looking for solutions.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Greenway was just named to the US Olympic team. A blast from the past Jonathon Blum (now in the KHL) also picked up a spot.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Article from NHL.com. Greenway aiming to be next great American player in NHL

Quinn has moved him to center with the idea that it will push Greenway to be better and more involved in the play, something that has not always come intuitively to him. Playing center forces him to be more alert, with more responsibility.
Greenway's big body (6-foot-5, 230 pounds) has allowed him to hang onto the puck for too long, has prevented him from having the quicker release that he can and should have. The plan is for him to work on playing against his body, to protect less and shoot more.
"There had to be more consistency in his play," Quinn said. "As good as he's been for us, there's been a lot of peaks and valleys and the valleys have been way too low, and he needs to iron that out.
"He's a great penalty-killer. He's got great vision and hands. He can skate. He should be a much better goal-scorer. I'm shocked he hasn't scored more here."

There is a lot more there, but I found that interesting.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He's going to need a fair amount of work, but if that kid puts it all together he could be a heck of a player.

I think he'll be a lot of work too. But he could also come in at the end of the season and make a difference simply because he's too green to know any better.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Wild have 2 big dudes from the Boston college scene, and they are the nicest guys, Coyle and Greenway. Well, they're nice guys, and in the end, that will serve them well.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
The door is open for Greenway 'cause of the trade. Praise him and let him be our savior. :sarcasm:

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
I think he scored a goal today in the loss but I can't really tell the olympic website isn't great for the boxscore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad