Prospect Info: Jordan Greenway (LW) - BU, NCAA - 50th Overall Pick, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Some stuff I've found on him:

Jordan Greenway is a decent skater for his size. He is especially strong on his skates and shows excellent balance making him very difficult to knock off of the puck. This gives him the ability to control the puck in the cycle game, creating time and space for his linemates to find open spaces on the ice. He also uses his strength and balance to win board battles and get loose pucks out of the corners. With Greenway’s powerful stride, he can fight through checks and quite literally bowl over defenders on his way to the front of the net. Greenway also has very good speed and acceleration for his size, generated by a fluid stride. His agility and edgework can be improved, however.

Jordan Greenway makes great use of his 6’5″ frame by playing a physical and gritty game in the offensive zone. He creates offence for teammates by winning battles in the corners, forechecking hard, and creating havoc in front of the net. He has a very hard and accurate wrist shot. His release is decent, but needs to really be improved if he wants to score goals with it on pro goals. One advantage is that he does have some soft hands and can make tips in the crease, or good passes to set up teammates. Its a bit concerning that despite the good tools in close he doesn’t seem to finish and score as many goals as he should. A bit of a tendency to over pass could be an issue here.

Greenway plays a defensively responsible game. He doesn’t leave the zone early and maintains his support for the passer on breakout plays. He also gets back quickly to provide back pressure and support for his teammates on the blue line. Greenway uses his size and long stick to cut down on passing lanes, and block shots. He is willing to use his size and physical play in his own end of the rink as well.

Jordan Greenway has the potential to be a second line power winger, and his size makes him an intriguing prospect. Concern about his lack of goal scoring has me ranking him a bit lower than most of the other services, and gives me some question of how likely it will be that he can reach that top six upside. The good news is that even if he doesn’t develop into a top six winger, he has the defensive skills necessary to still have potential as a bottom six forward. In terms of a player comparison, its very hard to find one for Greenway, but the best bet is that his game resembles a mix of an Andrew Ladd and Kyle Okposo, without the excellent wrist shots.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Greenway-Graovac-Tuch would have to be one of the biggest lines in the NHL.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Not my first pick but I understand it.

6-4 222lbs, loves to finish his checks, skates well with good hands to handle plays from more skilled linemates.

Hockey sense is the question mark for me. He has all the tools and skills to be a top six forward that can really be a dangerous force but he is a project. He is a guy that needs the full years of development.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
His first steps need a bit more improving but he has good top speed. So imagine a 6-4 222lb with very good top speed and a guy that can handle plays with players like Nino

Billy Mays Here*

Bleh, don't care for the pick and the kid will never make the roster in the next five or more years anyway with all the depth in front of him at left wing.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Bleh, don't care for the pick and the kid will never make the roster in the next five or more years anyway with all the depth in front of him at left wing.

We drafted him for his size, board-play, and net-front presence. Throw him on someone's right wing and tell him to screen the goalie. Just because he plays left wing now doesn't mean he's locked at that position.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Definitely will need a few years at BU from the sound of some of the knocks on his game. I don't hate the pick, but I just question whether he would have been drafted in the same spot if he were 3-4 inches smaller.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
We drafted him for his size, board-play, and net-front presence. Throw him on someone's right wing and tell him to screen the goalie. Just because he plays left wing now doesn't mean he's locked at that position.

This is the problem with the wild they draft based more on size then offensive skill. They end up drafting 3rd and 4th liners way too early. When you can pick them in the later rounds. Then people complain that the wild can't score or don't have enough skill this is why.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Then we hear the complaints that the Wild are too small and get pushed around. Double edged sword.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
This is the problem with the wild they draft based more on size then offensive skill. They end up drafting 3rd and 4th liners way too early. When you can pick them in the later rounds. Then people complain that the can't score or don't have enough skill this is why.

But that is assuming these players have no top six skill. Greenway does. He has the hands and top speed to work on those top lines that are focused on power and strength. Hockey sense is still a question but there is no doubt that he has the tool and potential. It'll just require some long developmental years.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
But that is assuming these players have no top six skill. Greenway does. He has the hands and top speed to work on those top lines that are focused on power and strength. Hockey sense is still a question but there is no doubt that he has the tool and potential. It'll just require some long developmental years.

Ya but it would be nice if they would draft player that has more offensive skill just for once.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Well, Dergachev went 13th on 3rd and this kid has less risk factor. Gigantic, decent skater.

I would have probably picked a D, but we seem to fixated on oversized wingers lately.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Ya but it would be nice if they would draft player that has more offensive skill just for once.

Don't let his size fool you, he isn't a guy plays a safe, unoffensive game. Although his 6-4 222lbs, he is probably one of the rawest player out of the USNDTP top prospects. Raw in terms of working on his head and having it catch up with the size and skill. I am not overly excited because I know he is a project pick, but I do really like the upside here. He isn't a low upside player, don't let the size imply that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad