Value of: Jordan Eberle

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I like it, except it doesn't help the cap situation. But if Pouliot and a few other contracts can be shedded, that's a really good starting point.

Oilers are not that pressed for cap space next year anyway. Sign Kovie for 1 year $5 mill even, you save a bit of cash there. I think in that scenario Vegas picks Pouliot.

I dunno how much Kovie has in the tank, but right now the Oilers PP shooter is Mark Letestu. I have to think Kovalchuk's shot is still better than Letestu's.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yup thinking more about it, Kovalchuk (1 year deal sign & trade) for Eberle to New Jersey ... I'm good with it. Do it Chia. Kovie may have lost a step but I bet his shot is better than anyone on the Oilers still and put him next to McDavid and watch the fireworks go off.

There's a perfect spot on the right side of our PP for him.

Jersey gets Eberle which kinda settles Hall down after I'm sure he's kinda been moping this summer.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Yup thinking more about it, Kovalchuk (1 year deal sign & trade) for Eberle to New Jersey ... I'm good with it. Do it Chia. Kovie may have lost a step but I bet his shot is better than anyone on the Oilers still and put him next to McDavid and watch the fireworks go off.

There's a perfect spot on the right side of our PP for him.

It'll take more than $5m and 1 year to get Kovalchuk.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

If he thinks he's getting more than $6 mill per with term from a contending team after not playing for several years, he's crazy.

He could play one year with McDavid, put up a ton of points, play in the playoffs and then go sign somewhere else for big dollars if he really wanted to (aka: the Jagr).

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Unless Kovalchuk wants to go Radulov route... one year on McDavids wing can fetch him a nice long contract afterwards. Right now he is a question mark like how Radulov was last year.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Unless Kovalchuk wants to go Radulov route... one year on McDavids wing can fetch him a nice long contract afterwards. Right now he is a question mark like how Radulov was last year.

Radulov played 2 seasons in the NHL and then left for 8. There is no comparison between the two.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm fine with Vegas taking Eberle, but if Kovalchuk is on the table, I'd consider it for sure. That makes sense for both sides, makes Taylor Hall happy, and Kovalchuk gets a virtually perfect center to play with.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
I'm fine with Vegas taking Eberle, but if Kovalchuk is on the table, I'd consider it for sure. That makes sense for both sides, makes Taylor Hall happy, and Kovalchuk gets a virtually perfect center to play with.

Who are the forwards Edmonton is protecting that they don't have room to protect Eberle?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Who are the forwards Edmonton is protecting that they don't have room to protect Eberle?

I'm just saying if the goal is to get rid of Eberle, you could just give him to Vegas, which clears $6 mill off the cap. So there's no incentive really from the Oilers side to do things like retain salary of him when you have Vegas just willing to take him on wholesale.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
I'm just saying if the goal is to get rid of Eberle, you could just give him to Vegas, which clears $6 mill off the cap. So there's no incentive really from the Oilers side to do things like retain salary of him when you have Vegas just willing to take him on wholesale.

That's really bad asset management. Eberle is easily worth more than a cap dump to Vegas.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If you're really trying to unload this "bad" players contract, the Rangers will graciously step up and give you your pick of Staal or Girardi in exchange for him

And, please, don't thank me, it's my pleasure to help the Oilers get rid of that contract

WildcatOil

May 24, 2014
Alberta
When you start off something like this people immediately view it as you're trying to dump a guy and offer little more than their failed prospects and then you really dont get deal of what you're truly looking for. Which is too bad because I was going to start a similar thread to see what fans of other teams thought he was worth.

I think he's a value player with a lot of upside. I don't get why people are so down on him all the time. That said, he is a anger contract on a team that has 2 and likely soon to be 3 players ahead of him that will need new and bigger contracts. I'm curious what offers would be.

I'm thinking a team that needs a proven scoring winger that would be willing to part with a young and promising prospect that could be ready to make the NHL soon but likely won't be at the level the team needs them right away.

My wishful thought was something along the lines of Barzal and a pick from the Islanders but Barzal may be a bit too rich of a plum.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If he thinks he's getting more than $6 mill per with term from a contending team after not playing for several years, he's crazy.

He could play one year with McDavid, put up a ton of points, play in the playoffs and then go sign somewhere else for big dollars if he really wanted to (aka: the Jagr).

Then he's crazy. Because he's going to ask for it and he's probably going to get it.

Trading Eberle for a one year rental would be extremely disappointing.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Then he's crazy. Because he's going to ask for it and he's probably going to get it.

Trading Eberle for a one year rental would be extremely disappointing.

Ehh depends on who the one year rental is. Plus it's not like Eberle is a long term piece in Edmonton. I'd rather go big, even if it's only for the short term, and get a guy that can help the team win vs. the magic bean approach of draft picks/prospects.

A guy like Kovalchuk adds a dimension this forward core doesn't really have. I'd have zero issue offering 6 to 7mil to him (basically the money from the Eberle deal). He's not the player he once was, but he'd still a near perfect complement to McDavid.

A top 6 of...
Maroon-McDavid-Kovalchuk
Lucic-RNH-Draisaitl

... and top PP unit of...
Lucic-Draisaitl-McDavid
Kovalchuk-Klefbom

... are more or less what dreams are made of :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad