Joonas Donskoi. Signed Free Agent May 2015

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
the main thing he lacks is physical size/strength but i'm sure that will develop over time. he's learning how to control the puck despite the physical play, the way he takes loose pucks and bounces them off the boards to get himself into open space is incredible.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
The way he plays with Couture reminds me of our own Kane/Panarin lite. He creates so much space on his own and has such great playmaking ability.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
the main thing he lacks is physical size/strength but i'm sure that will develop over time. he's learning how to control the puck despite the physical play, the way he takes loose pucks and bounces them off the boards to get himself into open space is incredible.

If he can learn a thing or two about working with his physical limitations from Pavs, I think he'll be just fine. He's already doing better things with the puck than Pavs ever did at his age. I bring him up because physically Pavs is not a big, strong guy at all. He's put on some mass, but I remember seeing him side by side and thinking I look more like an athlete than he does. But he is SO good with his stick and body positioning. Donskoi shows the same qualities.

Donskoi is so dynamic too. Man he's fun to watch. He really does remind me of Kane or Datsyuk in that when ever he touches the puck you feel like good, creative things are gonna happen. (Note: Before anyone thinks im suggesting he's as good as those two I AM NOT saying that...now ;) ).

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I think it is fair to say now that Donskoi has been one of the best FA signings this season league-wide. Let's see the +- list:

+0.5 PPG coming straight from FEL to NHL without an AHL adjustment period.
+He can create opportunities for himself and his linemates no matter what line you put him in. He is no Kessel who needs good players around him in order to be productive.
+He very rarely has a bad game - or at least his effort is 100% every game, he never goes unnoticed.
+Shootout skills.
+His current cap hit is cheeeeeap.

-His shot is not good. (On the other hand, if he would have a good shot on top of everything else he has, he would be scoring A LOT more and his salary for 17-18 season would be very bad for the cap. Personally I rather take a 15+30 guy for say 3M over a 25+40 guy for 7M.)

I have to admit that when Donskoi made that deal I was certain he would be way too much of a puck hog in order to make it in the NHL - at least during his first season. I've always liked him as a player so I'll happily eat my crow. :)

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Figure I'd put this here. I've only seen Goldobin play a few times, but I'm wondering if his ceiling in any way compares to Donskoi's. With Tierney, Donskoi, and Goldobin in the fold, the Sharks potentially have three high-end playmakers in their line-up for the foreseeable future. Heck four if Thornton goes Brett Favre. Spread those guys out on different lines and the future at forward looks awesome.

Honestly, Donskoi gives me hope that this team can go far in the playoffs. He will create match-up nightmares, makes the 2nd powerplay go, and is relentless on the boards. We already have Joel Ward, but I don't think a Joel Ward type playoff performance is out of the question.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
+He can create opportunities for himself and his linemates no matter what line you put him in. He is no Kessel who needs good players around him in order to be productive.

I agree with most of your points but this is silly. Kessel put up 80 points on horrendous Leafs teams while saddled with Tyler Bozak. Kessel absolutely produces on his own.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Yeah Kessel is an offensive machine. Its his intangible qualities that leave many frustrated. Donskoi is a gem though. He and Couture fit so well together. Both smart and tenacious puck magnets.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I agree with most of your points but this is silly. Kessel put up 80 points on horrendous Leafs teams while saddled with Tyler Bozak. Kessel absolutely produces on his own.

My apologies if I chose the wrong example player. I didn't look up Kessel's stats prior posting, I just remembered this being a common complaint on the Leafs board. Maybe it was just last season that sparked him such a reputation among Leafs fans - or then it's just the usual HF habit of overcriticizing your own.

Anyhow, feel free to replace Kessel with someone who is a better match to the type of player I meant. There should be plenty.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
My apologies if I chose the wrong example player. I didn't look up Kessel's stats prior posting, I just remembered this being a common complaint on the Leafs board. Maybe it was just last season that sparked him such a reputation among Leafs fans - or then it's just the usual HF habit of overcriticizing your own.

Anyhow, feel free to replace Kessel with someone who is a better match to the type of player I meant. There should be plenty.

Leafs fans and HF in general hate on Kessel because he is a "soft" winger, isn't great defensively (but! was the best defensive player on his line in Toronto often, better than Bozak or JVR by far), is overweight, and socially awkward.

I get your point though. It just ticks me off a little when people **** on Kessel.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Leafs fans and HF in general hate on Kessel because he is a "soft" winger, isn't great defensively (but! was the best defensive player on his line in Toronto often, better than Bozak or JVR by far), is overweight, and socially awkward.

I get your point though. It just ticks me off a little when people **** on Kessel.

To be fair, Kessel has not been very good this year, and he's been on a much better team. He only has a few more points than Marleau, and we've heard all season here about how disappointing Marleau is, right? So, in the past, sure, he could get his own offense despite a poor supporting cast. This year though, he's not, despite the much better supporting cast.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
To be fair, Kessel has not been very good this year, and he's been on a much better team. He only has a few more points than Marleau, and we've heard all season here about how disappointing Marleau is, right? So, in the past, sure, he could get his own offense despite a poor supporting cast. This year though, he's not, despite the much better supporting cast.

I'm not saying that Kessel is having a great season or anything, just that he gets an unfair reputation on HF and in the hockey world in general. Because Toronto retained 25% of his contract, he's only costing the Pens $6M on their cap, which is actually less than Marleau.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: