Joonas Donskoi. Signed Free Agent May 2015

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He drives the puck to the net as well, not just good stick handling. That's one thing he does better than Couture. Couture, however, does a lot of things better than Joonas right now. I don't really see them in the same roles either.

Goldobin has that same attribute as well, but his inexperience at NHL caliber play leads to getting stripped of the puck.

If both of these guys improve, can you image what the Sharks will be like in a couple of seasons? Both would be serious threats in the NHL if so. And, if the Sharks could have gotten Noah rather than Timo in the draft, pick up a good backup goalie, could we image the 2017 season?

There was like zero chance the Sharks could've grabbed Hanifin especially considering he was the best of the three defensemen that were drafted. I don't even know how you could justify that hypothetical notion.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Donskoi has made some freaking impressive passes recently. That no look back pass right to the slot the other night was Thortonesque. He's not as fast as Havlat for sure, but he's pretty quick, and seems to be getting quicker, so it's certainly not a problem. His only real issue I see, as you said, is his shot, and that is one of the easiest things to work on in the off-season and improve.

True in a relativistic sense, but there is a reason there are so many NHLers with poor shots.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I get that stylistically kinda, but why did you pick Barzal of all possible players you could compare Donskoi too?

Because at the time we were pining over not picking him. From watching his YouTube highlights they were very similar.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
Unbelievable playmaking ability. Seriously wish Wilson would pull something out his ass and get this line a gunner.

Trade for Yandle, and throw Burns up there with them. :naughty:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I still see zero reason to compare the two. Why not have both?

Eh? We wanted barzal...didn't get him (Meier) and then signed donskoi so I said he's the consolation for not grabbing barzal. This was back in the offseason. Not sure why this is hard to understand lol.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Eh? We wanted barzal...didn't get him (Meier) and then signed donskoi so I said he's the consolation for not grabbing barzal. This was back in the offseason. Not sure why this is hard to understand lol.

I'm just really not seeing the connection there. But whatever, it could just be a me problem. Carry on.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I'm just really not seeing the connection there. But whatever, it could just be a me problem. Carry on.

last comment on this.

A. Whole board wants barzal, we pick non flashy guy (Meier) crying ensues
B. Sharks sign donskoi-90% of his YouTube clips are deking guys, shootout goals and making plays with sick mitts and skating moves.
C. I say, this could be "our" barzal

That's the connection. Not saying he is exactly like barzal, but they both play in a similar mold as a playmaker that can dangle and skate.

So that's why I specifically compared him to barzal. Hope that helps lol.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
last comment on this.

A. Whole board wants barzal, we pick non flashy guy (Meier) crying ensues
B. Sharks sign donskoi-90% of his YouTube clips are deking guys, shootout goals and making plays with sick mitts and skating moves.
C. I say, this could be "our" barzal

That's the connection. Not saying he is exactly like barzal, but they both play in a similar mold as a playmaker that can dangle and skate.

So that's why I specifically compared him to barzal. Hope that helps lol.

Look, I get why you made the comparison. I just don't think it makes any logical sense.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Unbelievable playmaking ability. Seriously wish Wilson would pull something out his ass and get this line a gunner.

Trade for Yandle, and throw Burns up there with them. :naughty:

Or just put Marleau with them. Then put Tierney at 3C with Nieto and Ward and Karlsson-Zubrus-Wingels on the 4th line. It hurts our center depth but it's not as if Marleau hasn't clearly been worse at center anyways.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Or just put Marleau with them. Then put Tierney at 3C with Nieto and Ward and Karlsson-Zubrus-Wingels on the 4th line. It hurts our center depth but it's not as if Marleau hasn't clearly been worse at center anyways.

That 4th line would be okay, I'd think about calling Carpy up as well.

Hertl-jumbo-pavs
Marleau-cooch-donskoi
Nieto-tierney-wingels
Karlsson-Carpy-zubrus

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yah... a few months ago...

ba dum dum tssh :help:

I mean he's a great two-way bottom 6 forward who is better in a limited role. He's just not a top-6 forward due to his poor hands, offense dieson his stick. Pairing him with Nieto and Marleau, both of whom also have poor hands, is not a good combination at all; especially considering that none of them are natural centers.

We need Marleau-Couture-Donskoi to be put together. The sooner this happens, the better. Donskoi is a godsend for that duo. One of the best lines we have ever had was Marleau-Couture-Havlat. Unfortunately, that line was a bit of a myth, due to Havlat's constant injuries.

The thing is, Donskoi is basically Martin Havlat without the injuries and he's only getting better. As soon as that line gets put together, they will start dominating. The only way they won't is if they go against top tier competition, in which case Thornton's line will be allowed to dominate the second competition. Either way, the line needs to be put together. Ward and Nieto would be better with Tierney on the 3rd line.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Did Joel Ward disappear?

Yea knew I was forgetting someone. He and wingels can swap. Zubrus or carpenter can sit depending on how they're playing.

At some point we need to see of hertl can center a line again and still provide offense. Maybe give him donskoi and karlsson or something and move couture with marleau and nieto. I dunno. But the team is playing very well.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Hertl proved he can center a line capable of producing offense when he, Ward and Marleau were our best line. He can definitely center a line capable of creating offense but come playoff time it's more important to have a legit #1 left wing than a legit #2C playing 3rd line with players who arent talented enough to capitalize on the scoring chances he creates. He's been producing at an elite level with Thornton and Pavelski and he is part of the reason why Thornton suddenly looks like an elite 1C.

Long term, I agree.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Hmm. I'd rather have the awesome 2c. Give him a playmaker and have three scoring lines. Marleau-hertl-donskoi would dominate and they all are good defensively.

Couture can still threaten with wingels and nieto imo against third liners. Plus he's a pp beast.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Who would you have at 1LW? Ward?

The issue with moving Hertl off the top line is that Thornton creates by far the most scoring chances of anybody on the team and ideally both of his linemate would be players who can finish. The reason Thornton is scoring so much lately is partly because he has gotten better from his concussion but also because Hertl was moved up.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Who would you have at 1LW? Ward?

The issue with moving Hertl off the top line is that Thornton creates by far the most scoring chances of anybody on the team and ideally both of his linemate would be players who can finish. The reason Thornton is scoring so much lately is partly because he has gotten better from his concussion but also because Hertl was moved up.

Karlsson has shown he can clean up decently on that line. He also has the 7th best p/60 amongst forwards on our team playing with our 4th line.

Hertl is better on that line than karlsson but the difference compared to him driving his own line makes it worth looking into.

Karlsson had a 70% GF with jumbo and considering he's playing some of his best hockey now it might be worth it to spread the scoring a bit.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
As long as the Sharks keep playing as well as they have been, and that first line keeps producing like they have, I think that splitting them up would be a net detriment to the team. Karlsson was OK on the 1st line last year, but that line didn't work nearly as well when he was on it this year. The first line has been one of the better lines in hockey, I don't think splitting them up makes any sense. Donskoi has been great with Couture on that line, lets leave them as-is for now. If it ain't broke, etc.

If we want to have Marleau back at LW and have more scoring, we could pick up someone like Kadri (or other good 2nd/3rd line C), and have the 2nd line be Marleau/<new guy>/Nieto, move Ward to the 4th line, and let Zubrus sit. That way, we get Marleau back where he's effective, we leave both Couture's current line and the first line alone, since both have been performing really well. I worry a bit about disrupting the setup of the 4th line, but I think Ward down there over Zubrus wouldn't screw the line up. I think that going this route would be significantly better than re-shuffling 3 of our lines to improve 1, when the risk is we'd degrade the other 2 to do it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad