Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
DonskoiToSanJose.png

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Currently 2nd in scoring (Fabbri is undisputed #1) and tied 1st in goals among rookies this postseason. Actually, I'm not that surprised since he won the Jari Kurri Trophy (playoffs MVP) in FEL last season, so he does know how to produce in tight spots.

Watching his latest two goals: has he learned how to shoot? :-o If he could improve in that area he would be lethal.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Currently 2nd in scoring (Fabbri is undisputed #1) and tied 1st in goals among rookies this postseason. Actually, I'm not that surprised since he won the Jari Kurri Trophy (playoffs MVP) in FEL last season, so he does know how to produce in tight spots.

Watching his latest two goals: has he learned how to shoot? :-o If he could improve in that area he would be lethal.

It's still not great but it might be getting better. If nothing else, he's pretty accurate but he can really let muffins fly.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
We always wanted DW to go out and sign a top-6 forward on the FA market. Well, he did, it just was someone no one would have expected. But damn, is it nice...

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
Niklas Sundstrom and Shin Larsson Yahata are our Euro scouts.

They've found us some absolute gems lately, I trust their judgement when I see we've drafted/signed a European.

We should get Scott Thornton to return in some capacity, then we can reunite Sundstrom-Ricci-Thornton :)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The scout that found Donskoi needs a huge raise.

Hasso Plattner deserves some credit for this.

When he first took over the team, there were reports that he was unhappy with the scouting team/prospect pipeline, even some indications that he was referring to internet prospect rankings to judge drafting proficiency.

I and almost everyone else thought this was a horrible sign; a meddling owners, who, in the spirit of Charles Wang, would micromanage the team into the ground.

Looking at it now, you can't help but think that Plattner at the least lit a fire under the scouting department.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
All you really needed to do was watch the world championships last year and sign the guy.

Or liiga, he was carrying force in Kärpäts champion team as 23 year old. But that scout still deserves a raise, some times when you see player having huge momentum in FEL it gets underrated and KHL guys get the benefit.

Must have class and not jump in band wagon of Finalist team, but it is great to see Donskoi succes. Wow I love our NT future.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
An interview of Donskoi in the Finnish media, published a couple of days ago. Last time I made a full FIN-ENG translation of a Finnish article on HFB the moderators deleted it (due to "excessive quotation") so I'll just leave the link here. Google translate should do an ok job but if there is something specific that is left unclear just ask.

http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-8993169

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
None of the top 5 goal scorers are on that list. Only one of the top ten are on that list which is Crosby who is tied for 7th.

I'm not sure what's the significance of that list, other than formulating strategies of covering forwards in the blue zone.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Seriously the players in that list are kind of meh goal scorers. And I find it hard to believe pavs is nowhere. But I'm guessing tips and garbage goals don't count? I dunno.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
That stat is pure fluff, I guess they are trying to say McDavid gets in close every time he shoots. Donskoi makes sense though since he is playmaker the only place he would shoot is in close

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Pavelski takes a fair number of point shots, so it doesn't surprise me he is not there. I think dons koi is on there because like many playmaking dominant players, he looks to pass unless it's a golden opportunity. Also his dangles, speed, and shiftiness allow him to get in close with frequency.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
well hold on a second, shot distance is NOT an irrelevant or garbage stat, in fact it is the biggest factor, statistically speaking, in "shot quality". but you do have to contextualize things, based on a player's style, usage, etc.

also you have to contextualize that list, those are the single best SEASONS by a player since 2007-08. Pavs may well have a low distance average but most of this list is within a single foot of distance. pavs could be .1 foot higher and be several spots down the full list.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad